Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourer accessories on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:59 PM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tourer accessories on ebay?

Hi all,
Does anyone have experience of buying theses aftermarket parts that crop up on ebay?
I assume chrome etc manufactured in China and expect quality not quite up there but savings seem immense so was wondering just how good they might be?
Thanks

Old 06-19-2015, 11:44 PM
REPO1
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I purchased a set of the chrome switch housings for the handlebars. I was sceptical, but they were cheap. But once I unpackaged them I was surprised by the chrome. It was exceptional. Fitment was also perfect, I couldn't be happier with them.

But let's face it, a lot of factory parts come from China anyway.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:18 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I replaced a scraped up crash bar with one from tmshelmets off of ebay. Can't tell any difference between it and OE. $95 shipped to my door IIRC.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The vast majority are pretty decent quality. Be wary of fiberglass tour packs and saddlebags though

Old 06-20-2015, 03:10 AM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Cheers fellas,
anybody have thoughts on the docking kits, and racks etc?
Im guessing the same applies.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2015, 03:58 AM
mack42b
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a docking kit and passenger sissy bar and I am very happy with the quality.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

What you really have to be careful of on EBay is what is advertised as "Chrome". There are quite a few companies that buy take off parts from Dealers and resell them on EBay. Problem is created when the dealer takes those "polished" levers etc off your bike and then puts them in the box the chrome ones came in. Company reading the box that sez chrome and sells them on ebay as chrome. Many of those polished parts are very shiny and almost chrome but not the real thing. You can tell if you compare them to real chrome. I've received parts like this and have sent messages to quite a few sellers to recheck what they have. Be cautious on take off stuff.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:27 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought an aftermarket chrome belt guard for a Sportster once on Ebay and the chrome was garbage.

I pretty much stick to genuine Harley for chrome parts. Harley really does make some good quality chrome that lasts and will still look good years down the road. I know some of it is probably made in China but I would think they have higher manufacturing specs to follow from Harley.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

You get what you pay for.

Or rather...

You don't get what you don't pay for.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:19 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I was going to ask the same thing soon, (After I get my Rushmore Road Glide) There are new 4pt docking stations on ebay for less than 125.00... in black or chrome. Wondered if anyone had bought one of those?
Guess I should have read the whole thread before posting! I see some have,,, but in response to the "You get what you pay for, or rather what you don't pay for" comment,, I disagree, it's not always the case,, probably most times, but I've bought things from Harbor Freight, or Northern,, super cheap, but was fine for what I needed,, so It's a crap shoot. I figure the worst thing your out is shipping to return it. I look at the sellers feedback when I buy and rate my purchase from that. High number of feedbacks, and satisfaction, I'll chance it.

Last edited by JimTJr; 06-20-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Tourer accessories on ebay?