Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you change...????

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:43 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I once did all three holes, that's what she recommended, but that was a long time ago and I never saw her again. All natural nothing synthetic. Don't know how many miles she had but it wasn't that many.

As far as bikes go 3 different synthetics - all different colors, so I can identify any leakage, when & if. I have non-leakers and leakers.

Engine 5000 - Tranny and Primary 10,000.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:10 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Personally, I would recommend changing everything at the same time, everytime. I do and have not had any bearing or compensator trouble by doing this (so far.) Its only an extra 2 1/2 qts and will not hurt anything at all, only help.
==================

DITTO!!!

I change all 3 (motor oil & filter/trans/prim) every 4k miles or 1x yrly,which ever comes 1st.

Also clean the airfilter when i change motor oil too because it only takes 10 mins to do .

Thats cheap insurance esp with all the compensator & bearing failures i see posted here and you staying on top of oil maint like you do could very well be why you havent had any comp or bearing issues .

When theres always clean oil with little to no contamination /dirt etc in it all 3 places on your HD that equates to considerably less wear .

There is no way i'd go 10k miles primary and or 20k miles on the trans oil as per HD's rec because over time/miles that asking for trouble IMHO especially when they dont hold much oil so relatively cheap & its so easy to change trans & primary oil along with motor oil at the same time.

For the big buck these bikes/HD's cost new and or used i dont understand why some guys dont do more frequent oil maint on their HD's as better preventative maint .

I would not be surprised if doing so from day 1 when the bike is brand new by changing all 3 oils at 1k miles miles then 1x yrly or 4k miles max would significanlty reduce IPB- trans-cam bearing failures,lifter issues & or failures,cam & prim chain adjuster failures ,maybe even reduce compensator failures too.

Cleaner oil results in less wear ,end of story!

Aand when HD is obviously using somewhat inferior bearings that are failing often in primary/on cams /in trans why push your luck running oil 10-20k miles in the trans & primary and motor oil to 5k miles where i change it at 4k miles.

BTW, yami rec max of 4k mile oil & filter change on the 06 R* i had in the past with a 1700cc/102ci air cooled v-twin that had flat tappet cams & lifters (not roller lifters like the HD) even with syn oil.

Scott

Old 06-20-2015, 04:13 PM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

For what it's worth
I change all 3 every year ( average about 7-8Kmi a year) with Mobil 1 Vtwin oil. I know I may be throwing out perfectly good oil, but it's what I do and have owned HD's as long as 14 yrs with no oil-related issues. It's just my yearly start up after winter routine.

Again, just my .02

Old 06-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Back in 2006 (?) Harley went to 20,000 for the tranny with the advent of the 6 speeds. Previously we always changed all three every 5,000 miles. I do engine and primary at 5,000 and tranny at 10,000 and still use no engine oil between changes, still run the original clutch plates and have had no issues with the tranny to date (she's now at 150,000 miles.)

(I'll let ya'll know when something blows up!)

Old 06-20-2015, 04:31 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How often do you change...????

"For the big buck these bikes/HD's cost new and or used i dont understand why some guys dont do more frequent oil maint on their HD's as better preventative maint ."....because for many 4K will come three or more times in a year.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:09 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
==================

DITTO!!!

I change all 3 (motor oil & filter/trans/prim) every 4k miles or 1x yrly,which ever comes 1st.

Also clean the airfilter when i change motor oil too because it only takes 10 mins to do .

Thats cheap insurance esp with all the compensator & bearing failures i see posted here and you staying on top of oil maint like you do could very well be why you havent had any comp or bearing issues .

When theres always clean oil with little to no contamination /dirt etc in it all 3 places on your HD that equates to considerably less wear .

There is no way i'd go 10k miles primary and or 20k miles on the trans oil as per HD's rec because over time/miles that asking for trouble IMHO especially when they dont hold much oil so relatively cheap & its so easy to change trans & primary oil along with motor oil at the same time.

For the big buck these bikes/HD's cost new and or used i dont understand why some guys dont do more frequent oil maint on their HD's as better preventative maint .

I would not be surprised if doing so from day 1 when the bike is brand new by changing all 3 oils at 1k miles miles then 1x yrly or 4k miles max would significanlty reduce IPB- trans-cam bearing failures,lifter issues & or failures,cam & prim chain adjuster failures ,maybe even reduce compensator failures too.

Cleaner oil results in less wear ,end of story!

Aand when HD is obviously using somewhat inferior bearings that are failing often in primary/on cams /in trans why push your luck running oil 10-20k miles in the trans & primary and motor oil to 5k miles where i change it at 4k miles.

BTW, yami rec max of 4k mile oil & filter change on the 06 R* i had in the past with a 1700cc/102ci air cooled v-twin that had flat tappet cams & lifters (not roller lifters like the HD) even with syn oil.

Scott
Sounds like somebody's afraid of the "Dirty Oil Boogeyman"! Do you sleep with the night light on haha! JK

Last edited by NoCoLoco; 06-22-2015 at 12:30 PM.