Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best ear buds for helmet use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:24 AM
dart451
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow guys, I didnt think I would get this many responses! Thank you very much for all your help! It is hard to swallow some of the prices on the earbuds but, if you want comfort sometimes you have to pay the prices... Thank again! Oh, and yes, I do have the speakers placed properly right over my ear canal. I actually put some hard foam in the hole where the straps come to give myself a flat area to place the velcro which is right over the ear canal and it works good. The gps sounds great but music kinda falls short due to the different frequencies....

Last edited by dart451; 06-18-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not like in-ear headphones. I wanted small, flat, over-the-ear, headphones with great quality and fidelity...

I got these, and they are incredible.

Amazon.com: IASUS XSound 3 High Def Helmet Speakers: Electronics Amazon.com: IASUS XSound 3 High Def Helmet Speakers: Electronics

Old 03-26-2017, 03:21 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I am still searching for the same as the OP. I have tried many options, but still can't find what I'm looking for. First would be a comfortable fit under my helmet for long rides that reduces wind, and produces good/great audio. And then, the best case would be in-ear integration with the com system/mic in order to communicate with my passenger.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:09 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Consider some that have the little soft rubber hooks that help hold them IN your ear, not the ones that go over your ears.
I use blue tooth ear plugs that are noise isolating / noise cancelling, have three sizes for what goes in your ear, and three sizes of the little rubber hooks.
Not trying to push blue tooth on you, just advising to get them to fit your ear canal, and the proper size hooks help keep them from falling out - especially good for when you are wearing a helmet!

Old 03-26-2017, 05:39 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,109 Likes on 663 Posts

Earplugs. I found that I was able to hear the speakers in the fairing much better with earplugs. They basically eliminate the wind noise and allow you to hear the music much better. Sounds crazy but it's true. I have found the same applies to my Bluetooth speakers inside the helmet.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,297 Likes on 6,040 Posts

I have a half helmet. I have an iPod. I use a pair of Sony foam ear phone/plugs. I bring the wire up behind my ear, over the top, then plug in my ear. Works well. I hear music. I hear the bike. Reduces wind noise. It works.
Now all that said, I am always on the lookout for something better.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:25 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

JVC Marshmallows. instead of rubber tips, they use memory foam, just like earplugs. they block out alot of ambient noise and keep the music audible at low volume

Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
I know this is an old thread, but I am still searching for the same as the OP. I have tried many options, but still can't find what I'm looking for. First would be a comfortable fit under my helmet for long rides that reduces wind, and produces good/great audio. And then, the best case would be in-ear integration with the com system/mic in order to communicate with my passenger.
Personally, I enjoy good music while riding, but I still want to hear my bike and my surroundings. I also, have yet to find the perfect marriage. I have invested much, as the Mrs. and I use Sena dual intercoms and have tried both with their speakers and also the in-ear Etymotic HF5's and also the SPlugs. The dual driver SPlugs are great sounding and comfortable but are expensive ($200+). The Etymotic HF5's are available for around $90 but don't have a much bass. As for the Sena speakers, you MUST get them positioned perfectly to have any shot and reasonable sound. But, they will never sound like any earbuds. Pick your budget. JVC Marshmallows are like $29. Go from there.