Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Road Glide Special

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015 | 09:05 PM
Spicy_Mchaggis
|
Advanced
Default Question about Road Glide Special

hey all, I started a thread in the rushmore section, but figured I would try my luck here too......

I am about a millisecond from pulling the trigger on a Road Glide Special tomorrow, going from a Deluxe....I have heard several times that they are the cream of the crop when it comes to handling.....I have only done about a 15 minute ride on one, so a few questions.....

1. are they as awesome as everyone says,
2. handling on Tar snakes/grated bridges...
3. does the stationary fairing freak you out.....

appreciate the help in advance....ride safe..

Old 06-15-2015 | 09:10 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

DO IT! Seriously, the Road Glide is the best bike in the Touring line up - it's a proven scientific fact!!

1. Yes, they really are that awesome.

2. Handling is superb. Semi-trucks and crosswinds are non-issues. Tar snakes/grated bridges are subject to tire selection.

3. Fixed fairing is the secret sauce. No freaking out at all, and it's very easy to adjust to.

So, don't wait...DO IT!

Old 06-15-2015 | 09:15 PM
Otter
Road Master

I just finished building one, Its my third Harley and I can tell you its BY FAR the best. It handles better than my Sporty, and its faster than my Softail. I can ride faster and farther with less fatigue than I did before. I can take any curve I want at any practical speed I want. It’s awesome. You wont regret it!

THe fisxed fairing takes about 20 minutes to get used to and you’ll never think about it being odd again. I’ve heard people make comments like, “I couldn’t deal with the headlights not turning with the handlebars”.... ... ... like on your car??

Last edited by Otter; 06-15-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2015 | 09:15 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
DO IT! Seriously, the Road Glide is the best bike in the Touring line up - it's a proven scientific fact!!

1. Yes, they really are that awesome.

2. Handling is superb. Semi-trucks and crosswinds are non-issues. Tar snakes/grated bridges are subject to tire selection.

3. Fixed fairing is the secret sauce. No freaking out at all, and it's very easy to adjust to.

So, don't wait...DO IT!

And yet, you don't have one. You have a beautiful bike, but it's still a Street Glide with a fairing swap. BTW, where is this scientific proof you speak of?

Last edited by DannyZ71; 06-15-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2015 | 09:36 PM
roadrash3
Road Master

I too have heard that scientific study!! I love my road glide, handles like a road king with no weight on the bars, but has the fairing for better wind protection, stereo, storage and coolness. Tar snakes always suck, grated bridges no big deal and yes you get used to the fixed fairing. Top of the line touring bikes of all brands have fixed fairings, Honda--goldwing BMW 1200t and 1600, yamaha fjr or whatever there touring bike is. Fixed fairings handle the best. Selection is all up to the rider, but i owned an electra glide before i owned a road glide and i would take a road glide every day of the week.

Old 06-15-2015 | 09:49 PM
Fltrxs
6th Gear

Gonna have to concur with the rest on this one...do it, you won't regret it! I went from a 2006 FLHRCI which I put 60k miles on and loved, to the 2015 FLTRXS. Rode tank to tank 1067 miles on the Road Glide a couple of weeks ago and was ready for pizza and beer when I got home...the bike is that comfortable. And I had no idea what I was missing with the fairing, stereo and extra storage. My only small 2nd guess was getting black, man it is a bitch to keep clean compared to the blue Road King. I love my shark though.

Last edited by Fltrxs; 06-15-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2015 | 09:51 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member

Not me, I had RG and went to Ultra. I didn't like so much "stuff" in front of my view.
like a car with a long hood. Yes they handle nice, but when talking Rushmore years, I didn't think it road any better than bat wing. Oh yeah, I had a Deluxe too. You will wish you could have kept it, and have both.

Old 06-15-2015 | 10:04 PM
Spicy_Mchaggis
|
Advanced

appreciate the input......it is all but a done deal, well, at least I have until tomorrow, that is as long as they are holding it for me..lol. I havent been able to enter a dealer in five years and not been drawn to the damn thing. Guess there is only one thing left to do!!!

Old 06-15-2015 | 10:13 PM
RoadsterGlide
Cruiser

Get it...you won't regret it.

Attached Thumbnails Question about Road Glide Special-img_0945.jpg  
Old 06-16-2015 | 12:11 AM
gghostrrider
Cruiser

Got a RGS in March, traded in a RKC. Honestly some days I miss the ride of the RKC and handling on the RGS is "too light" and the ride is too harsh. But there is no way I could ride the RKC as long or in as much comfort as the RGS because of the fairing. The RGS is a fabulous bike, just try to do an objective test ride, meaning see it for what it is not what you have in your head. I do not regret the RGS.
Not sure how scientific it is, but when Harley and Klockwerks wanted to take baggers to the Salt Flats they weren't bat wings, they were sharks

Quick Reply: Question about Road Glide Special