Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about a 2001 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015 | 09:05 PM
jeffhammell
|
Novice
Default thinking about a 2001 Ultra

I am considering stepping up from my 87 Heritage to an Ultra. The wife loves to ride two up but the Heritage is getting a little small for the longer trips. I hate to give up my Heritage, so I haven't decided, but I have a shot at picking up a decent 01 Ultra with 52000mi on it. Can anyone give me some pros and cons of the 01, and what kind of issues might I look for prior to making my decision.

Old 06-15-2015 | 09:31 PM
roadrash3
Road Master

Cam chain tensioner, if not already replaced and upgraded to the hydraulic tensioner, you will need to do that for sure. Other then that, i think the 2001-2003 were great motors, better bearings, better all around, of course its only a 88ci if stock, but i still got in trouble with my old 88ci motor. There will be a few things here and there you will find needs replacing, but good motor.

Old 06-15-2015 | 09:32 PM
roadrash3
Road Master

I would go to the ultra from a heritage in a heartbeat. I love having a bagger. I ride with my daughter and wife all of the time, world of difference.

Old 06-15-2015 | 11:10 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Make sure it has a carb. MM fuel injection is pretty obsolete.

Old 06-16-2015 | 01:33 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Check front engine mounts, fuel quick connect for leaks, front calipers, tensioner upgrade. Many threads on MM FI.

Old 06-16-2015 | 07:36 AM
jeffhammell
|
Novice

Originally Posted by roadrash3
Cam chain tensioner, if not already replaced and upgraded to the hydraulic tensioner, you will need to do that for sure. Other then that, i think the 2001-2003 were great motors, better bearings, better all around, of course its only a 88ci if stock, but i still got in trouble with my old 88ci motor. There will be a few things here and there you will find needs replacing, but good motor.
I do know the cam chain tensioner has been recently replaced, not sure if they went with the upgrade or not but I'll look into it. When I looked at it I was dead set against replacing the Heritage so I didn't spend enough time checking it out, after rethinking it I think I'll look deeper into it.

Work has been done to it, the guy is getting rid of it because he wants a 100HP bike. He had this one dynoed and the report shows 89HP, I'm not sure how he got there, but I did see the report.

Old 06-16-2015 | 07:41 AM
jeffhammell
|
Novice

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Make sure it has a carb. MM fuel injection is pretty obsolete.
I have been looking at the posts about the early fuel injection, I'll definitely look for that.

Originally Posted by Ron750
Check front engine mounts, fuel quick connect for leaks, front calipers, tensioner upgrade. Many threads on MM FI.
All good advice, like I said, this was exactly what I was looking for, known issues from guys that ride them. All the advice is much appreciated.

Old 06-16-2015 | 07:48 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

As said, very good engine, Timkin crank bearing, forged bottom end, I have a 99 EG and put gear drive cams in, no more tensioners, 99 to 02 motors do not usually get crank run out so you can put gear drive cams in, my indy will only put gear drive cams in those years unless the crank has been trued and welded. To get 89 hp am sure it has had engine work, I would find out exactly what has been done to it, mine is making a little more than that and only gets 32 mpg, horsepower uses fuel, I have to stop every 150 miles on my old bike, but by then I am ready for a break anyway.
It is a good bike, I would not be afraid of it.

Old 06-16-2015 | 07:50 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I had an '87 Heritage. There is no comparison between it and a 2000+ dresser, no matter what dresser it is. After a week on the Ultra, you will have no problem giving up the Heritage.

Bill

Old 06-16-2015 | 11:41 AM
jeffhammell
|
Novice

Originally Posted by fwb35
As said, very good engine, Timkin crank bearing, forged bottom end, I have a 99 EG and put gear drive cams in, no more tensioners, 99 to 02 motors do not usually get crank run out so you can put gear drive cams in, my indy will only put gear drive cams in those years unless the crank has been trued and welded. To get 89 hp am sure it has had engine work, I would find out exactly what has been done to it, mine is making a little more than that and only gets 32 mpg, horsepower uses fuel, I have to stop every 150 miles on my old bike, but by then I am ready for a break anyway.
It is a good bike, I would not be afraid of it.
Thanks for that info. Earlier models of anything are such a crapshoot, on one hand the manufacturer is working out the bugs (I guess like the fuel injection), on the other hand they are looking at how to cheapen things up a bit (like the crank and Timkens). The fuel system seems minor in comparison to having a solid bottom end, sounds like the 2001 might be a good fit in that way. I need to investigate further into what has been done to it, but the bike definitely has my interest. I see your point about horsepower and fuel economy, I don't know why he wanted 100HP, nice I guess but not necessary to me really. But I'm with you, 150mi between stops is long enough for me for sure.

Originally Posted by billnourse
I had an '87 Heritage. There is no comparison between it and a 2000+ dresser, no matter what dresser it is. After a week on the Ultra, you will have no problem giving up the Heritage.

Bill
I'm still on the fence, there is a certain look and "soul" that the Heritage has that screams Harley to me, mine is a head turner. On the other hand, I do care about the wife's comfort and I am interested in being able to do longer trips. The Heritage seems like a 57 Chevy, the Ultra sort of like an SUV, both nice, one more usable, one more "wow factor". I'm still torn but leaning toward the Ultra.

Quick Reply: thinking about a 2001 Ultra