Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Experience going to or from Cfr mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Your Experience going to or from Cfr mufflers

I've been running a set of Cfr mufflers for awhile now, I truly love these mufflers. They look great and sound even better. I'm also running a set of rush premium duals which I just added last winter. The Cfrs are the only muffler I've ever had on the bike other than stock. Recently I've had an itch to give the v&h oversized 450s a try. They seem to have a deep sound also, almost like a tamed down Cfr. I'm thinking that the 450 probably won't sound as mean as the Cfrs do but I'm hoping they may be better in the performance area. So what have you guys found going to or from a set of Cfr mufflers? Did anyone feel that the mufflers they went to or from made a real seat of the pants power difference compared to the Cfrs? I know Cfr mufflers can be harder to tune than most and the a Dyno will show exactly were the Cfrs fall short but is it a real world noticeable difference? I really hate to give up the sound for a minescul gain in performance.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:17 PM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 PM
MGS Performance
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGS Slip Ons $249

MGS Cross Under Header System with 4" MGS Slip Ons vs. CFR Slip Ons. Tuned with a Power Commander 5 with both applications. We provide a map for a PC5.

Last edited by MGS Performance; 06-12-2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-13-2015, 06:28 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I went from the Vance & Hines Twin Slash Rounds to the CFRs, yes I could tell a difference in low end torque,( having more with the V&H TSR ) I had them both paired up with a SE intake and the Cobra Power Ports.

For me I could tell a considerable difference, thru the whole power range just goosen it at different rpms/mph it just did not have the same power as the V&H TSR had.

I have herd of people using the power cones when using the CFRs to get some low end torque back.

As far as tuning, I use a FP3 and had no popping or anything with either muffler.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks tchunter, that's the type of feedback I was looking for. I run a power vision, I've never had any decel pop or any noticeable tuning issues to speak of either. With that said I've never ran any other exhaust to compare weather or not there is a noticeable power lose. Out of curiosity do you still run the Cfrs or have you switched to something else?

Old 06-13-2015, 08:25 AM
FLYBOYULTRA
Stage III

Getting ready to Change from Rinehart true duals to CFR's. My brother had them on his bike but went to a 2 into 1. I always loved the sound. He told me I may not like the performance, but I ride, I'm not real aggressive I just prefer to cruise. I do have a stage one with the Thundermax ECM. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on the loss of performance with the CFR'S and I saw one post talking about putting power cones in, Any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Thanks tchunter, that's the type of feedback I was looking for. I run a power vision, I've never had any decel pop or any noticeable tuning issues to speak of either. With that said I've never ran any other exhaust to compare weather or not there is a noticeable power lose. Out of curiosity do you still run the Cfrs or have you switched to something else?

Yes I do still run with the CFRs.

For me, the bike still has enough power to get me out of trouble if need be or passing the big trucks on the e-way, you can only use so much power in the twistys and for what inclines we have here in MI I have not had a problem in the right gear.

I don't do wheelies or burnouts nor do I race for papers, so no loss there.

For the sound of the mufflers I am willing to sacrifice a little performance loss. ( personal preference )

In two weeks I am heading to PA for a trip so I will get a chance to experience more of the inclines and see how she performs then.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:47 AM
halstead1185
5th Gear

Hey brothers, Great info ! Just got myself CFR's chrome slotted what beautey's paired with Bassani Headers and TTS by Master Tune (will have before and after dyno results!) After countless hrs research and advice told by expert techs that the bassani's should produce the perfect performance and sound! Installed on my stock 13 classic with only 1500 miles in a couple of weeks .Will post specs Hope to help

Old 02-04-2017, 11:18 AM
PistolPete83
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm running CFR on my 15 RGS..ive always loved Rinehart/bubs and V & H but at the local dealer i noticed they run CFR on many of their bikes and i decided to try something new..only set i have had on this bike...Paired with true duals...SERT and heavy breather..Sound is different, loud and i get compliments all day long...never any decal popping..just a deep rumble when you twist the throttle and really get on it....the low end torque on this bike def. lacks but not to the point (IMO) that it is the CFRs .....i find that the rushmores just lack low end without the help of a cam setup..as far as high way passing power, I have never had an issue...This bike gets up even fully loaded...The tune is very important as many of us know..after 2 thousand miles i felt like i needed to retune my setup because it just seemed to lag and it turned out to be the right move....Bike was more responsive in the throttle and the torque increased by 10...Night and Day really...for me the considerable difference is in the correct mapping and not the mufflers...No complaints here but I'm subscribed

Last edited by PistolPete83; 02-04-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:33 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete83
I'm running CFR on my 15 RGS..ive always loved Rinehart/bubs and V & H but at the local dealer i noticed they run CFR on many of their bikes and i decided to try something new..only set i have had on this bike...Paired with true duals...SERT and heavy breather..Sound is different, loud and i get compliments all day long...never any decal popping..just a deep rumble when you twist the throttle and really get on it....the low end torque on this bike def. lacks but not to the point (IMO) that it is the CFRs .....i find that the rushmores just lack low end without the help of a cam setup..as far as high way passing power, I have never had an issue...This bike gets up even fully loaded...The tune is very important as many of us know..after 2 thousand miles i felt like i needed to retune my setup because it just seemed to lag and it turned out to be the right move....Bike was more responsive in the throttle and the torque increased by 10...Night and Day really...for me the considerable difference is in the correct mapping and not the mufflers...No complaints here but I'm subscribed
Please post your dyno sheet.