Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust heat question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:47 PM
VGNKNG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust heat question

The heat on my RKC was pretty unbearable after I put on my seat that pushed me down and back. So about a year ago, I changed out the headers to Jackpots 2-1-2 SS ceramic coated. That took care of the heat almost completely. Just took it in to the dealer to have the oil changed and the heat is suddenly back as bad as it was before. What happened?

Old 06-11-2015, 03:08 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

.....could it be that it was cooler because it was spring....now that the hotter days are here it just gets hotter. nothing the dealer did in changing the oil should have done that. btw, cpt itch has some "crotch coolers" that go under your seat and help with the engine heat. take a peek at them. http://www.capt-itch.com/ i've used the same set for over 45000 miles on two different harleys. i just threw them over the stock shields and they work fine. not all the heat dissipates but it sure does help.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:34 PM
VGNKNG
Cruiser

Could be I guess if it couldn't be anything else. Had the headers changed out late summer so could be that this is the first time I've run them in heat of summer and that's why I didn't notice it before. I'll take a look at the crotch coolers. Thanks a lot.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Python357
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,674 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by VGNKNG
The heat on my RKC was pretty unbearable after I put on my seat that pushed me down and back. So about a year ago, I changed out the headers to Jackpots 2-1-2 SS ceramic coated. That took care of the heat almost completely. Just took it in to the dealer to have the oil changed and the heat is suddenly back as bad as it was before. What happened?
When you changed the head pipe, did you also change the ECM (SE flash/tuner etc). If so, could the dealer have restored it to stock (lean) causing an increase in heat?

In your first post you state that you changed the header, in your second post you state that you had it changed. Do you know what else has been done to the bike?

Old 06-11-2015, 07:15 PM
VGNKNG
Cruiser

That's a thought. I changed them out myself and programmed it with PV and a map from FM. It seems to be running well, though.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:21 PM
VGNKNG
Cruiser

Is it possible the ECM was reset back to stock? I didn't think to mention it and not sure if it matters but I had the dealer add the apes at the same time I had it in for oil change. Guess it wouldn't hurt anything to reload it and see if it makes a difference.