Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bright LED tail lights - a negative observation

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:29 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
I made it work. I took a piece of flat aluminum stock. Traced the stock light onto it. Filed it to the same profile as the stock light. Drilled and tapped it for screws. Drilled a hole for the wires to pass through. Fizzy canned it black. Then I bought the Amp'd Super-Z LED Flexible Array from Radiantz 80 led 11.4". I had to trim the slightest bit off the ends, and stuck it to the bracket I fabbed up. I used stainless Allen bolts. Had to cut them to the proper length so they sat just flush with the aluminum piece. You see the final product in action. Those amp'd leds are wicked bright. I used the 6.85" for the saddlebags turn/brake. I run those off of a Hopkins self powered anti-short trailer wiring adapter.

Edit: found a close up pic

Thanks for that info.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
666:Nice job on the rear light setup.
Thanks Bob!

Old 06-11-2015, 11:43 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
Thanks for that info.
No problem senna!

Old 06-12-2015, 12:14 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CrusingHarley
I am not sure which manufacter you were viewing but I have been using the BAL-1 for last 5 years and it does not operate the way you described. On this unit there is a signifcant difference between running and braking. I also found most people stay farther back when I hit the brake.
I am quite pleased with it.
I've never had a negative comment about my BAL-1? Tail light is brighter than stock but the brake lamp is much brighter and the couple flashes gets folks attention, or so they say...

Old 06-12-2015, 12:24 AM
Big L
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 162 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CrusingHarley
I also found most people stay farther back when I hit the brake.
I am quite pleased with it.
Lady jumped out of her cage and ran up to ask what taillight I had. said she wanted her husband to purchase one for his Harley because it's bright and she saw me aways back. Watched her run back to her cage she was a good 3 car lengths behind and I'm ok with that.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:44 AM
banjoplayer2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will risk it! I like seeing cages' stop future back at stop lights than they did with my Road King's stock light.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:02 AM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Been behind some BAL setups recently. They are bright! No doubt about that. Which leads to a few problems.

(1) The tail lights are so bright they appear to be brake lights. Makes it appear you're just riding your brakes all the time.

(2) The increase in illumination from the brake lights is tiny in comparison to the blindingly bright tail light. It does not stand out at all.

(3) The flashing of the turn signals is also tiny. Again, easily not detected.

All worse when squarely behind the bike. A little less so when off to the side in the next lane over. Worse still in bright light, like a sunny day.

Just want to put this out there for some of you to think about. Super bright tail lights are not inherently 100% better. There are some downsides.

This post makes absolutely no sense to me.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:09 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

On the rear of my Canadian 14 Street Glide which has the center taillight,I have CD Dynamic Clusters in the signal light bar.They have a perimeter of 24 red leds for run and brake,and the center is 24 amber leds for signal.We went to Americade last week and my buddy commented on how it was difficult to see my signals when I had my brake on.It seems that the outer ring of red leds was washing out the center ambers.Just wondering if anyone else that is using the clusters have had similar comments?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,834 Likes on 22,753 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Been behind some BAL setups recently. They are bright! No doubt about that. Which leads to a few problems.

(1) The tail lights are so bright they appear to be brake lights. Makes it appear you're just riding your brakes all the time.

(2) The increase in illumination from the brake lights is tiny in comparison to the blindingly bright tail light. It does not stand out at all.

(3) The flashing of the turn signals is also tiny. Again, easily not detected.

All worse when squarely behind the bike. A little less so when off to the side in the next lane over. Worse still in bright light, like a sunny day.

Just want to put this out there for some of you to think about. Super bright tail lights are not inherently 100% better. There are some downsides.
(1) Do you have a BAL?

(2) Have you ever been rear-ended?

(3) What is the problem about being seen?

(4)Isn't that the objective?

(5) Do you think stock is better?

Old 06-12-2015, 10:50 AM
yzernie
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Been running the BAL-1 for 4 years on my 11 RGU and the 14 CVO Limited and never have had my riding buddies complain about being able to see the light and also differentiate between the run and brake. I also swapped out the stock bullet rear light bar on the CVO Limited for the flat light bar with the HD LED run/turn/brake LED lights. It has a tremendous contrast between run and brake. For the run setting I have it at level 2 brightness and for the brake setting I have it set for 3 quick flashes and steady on.

I live and ride in rural areas and rural highways all the time. I want as much light as I can on the back of the bike. They do as intended and I am very pleased with them.

Quick Reply: Bright LED tail lights - a negative observation