Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 04:48 AM
jmarquardt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the fuel gauge on a 2010 Ultra Limited. The remaining fuel indicates 95 miles to empty yet the fuel gauge reads dead empty. Other similar bikes with the same fuel capacity I'm riding with indicate 1/4 tank fuel remaining and about the same miles to empty.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:27 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I've had my fuel pump out before, and know from experience that it's easy to tweak the fuel level sender when removing it. Has it always done it? The sender arm/float is probably bent slightly.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 AM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-12-2015, 03:44 PM
jmarquardt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I've had my fuel pump out before, and know from experience that it's easy to tweak the fuel level sender when removing it. Has it always done it? The sender arm/float is probably bent slightly.

Thanks John. I just bought the bike so don't know if it has always done it. Haven't been able to ask the previous owner. I will check the float.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:00 PM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

When I first started driving ,about 35 years ago , my grandfather offer me some advice . He told me if I only afford a half tank of gas , make sure it was the top half. He also told me that they have a name for people that believe their fuel gauges, they call them pedestrians.
My needle doesn't move for a while , but when it gets to half, I start looking for a station, because from the half mark , there is only about a gallon left. Never have trusted fuel gauges , always relied more on the trip meter to let me know when I should get gas.
Scott

Old 06-12-2015, 09:10 PM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A fuel gauge that far off would bug the heck out of me also and I would try to find a way to correct it.

But I don't depend on any fuel gauge. I always set the "Trip A" odometer to zero when I fill the tank then refer to it when I think I might need a refill.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:34 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

You don't help with any solid information. When you refuel while showing 95 miles to empty, how much gas does it take to fill up? Assuming you have a 6 gallon tank, if you take about 4 gallons, the 95 miles to go is correct and the gauge is wrong. If you take 5.5 gallons of gas, the gauge is correct and the 95 miles to empty is wrong. Different solution for each problem so which is it? When your low fuel light comes on how much fuel is needed to refill and what does your gauge show?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:47 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarquardt
Does anyone know of a way to adjust the fuel gauge on a 2010 Ultra Limited. The remaining fuel indicates 95 miles to empty yet the fuel gauge reads dead empty. Other similar bikes with the same fuel capacity I'm riding with indicate 1/4 tank fuel remaining and about the same miles to empty.
=================================

When my 09 fuel gauge is is showing dead nuts on half i can squeeze approx 4.2-4.4 gals into it being a 6 gal tank.

I an not going to chance trying to see if the bike will actually go the amount of miles the speedo states it has left before running out of fuel because i am getting too old to push that heavy bike!/LOL!

I also go by the trip meter for when to fuel up.

BTW,in general just because a fuel gauge in a 6 gal tank reads half tank it doesnt always mean it will have 3 gals left,shape of the tank makes a diff.

Thats why many cars will not go the same amount of miles on 1st half as 2nd half of a tank fuel.

Also,my prior bike with 5 gal tank would go 100miles on 1st half of the tank and 2nd half would go approx approx 65-70 miles tops and that was it.

Scott

Old 06-13-2015, 05:10 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

As said before, I always use my trip meter. JR

Old 06-13-2015, 06:25 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 Ultra Classic
When I first started driving ,about 35 years ago , my grandfather offer me some advice . He told me if I only afford a half tank of gas , make sure it was the top half. He also told me that they have a name for people that believe their fuel gauges, they call them pedestrians.
My needle doesn't move for a while , but when it gets to half, I start looking for a station, because from the half mark , there is only about a gallon left. Never have trusted fuel gauges , always relied more on the trip meter to let me know when I should get gas.
Scott
Your grandfather must have been quite entertaining! I love it!!!

My gauge is accurate on both of mine but I still set the trip......that's how I started off on my 1970 Triumph Daytona and old habits are hard to break!

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge