Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 07:01 AM
jmarquardt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowchrome
Your grandfather must have been quite entertaining! I love it!!!

My gauge is accurate on both of mine but I still set the trip......that's how I started off on my 1970 Triumph Daytona and old habits are hard to break!

Thanks for the reply. I used the trip gauge religiously on my Yamaha V-star and have been doing the same on my HD. But being **** that I am just would like the gauge to be as accurate. I can live with it especially if it cost a bunch to fix.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:31 AM
BigIron44
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 Ultra Classic
When I first started driving ,about 35 years ago , my grandfather offer me some advice . He told me if I only afford a half tank of gas , make sure it was the top half. He also told me that they have a name for people that believe their fuel gauges, they call them pedestrians.
My needle doesn't move for a while , but when it gets to half, I start looking for a station, because from the half mark , there is only about a gallon left. Never have trusted fuel gauges , always relied more on the trip meter to let me know when I should get gas.
Scott
This. Never owned a bike with an accurate fuel guage. When my 96 bagger says empty, there's two+ gallons left,

That said, it's a better problem than the reverse.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:05 PM
whyrzwaldo
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

IMO the fuel gauge is about as useful as the air temp gauge. I rarely even look at it. I just go by my miles remaining display on the speedo. I trust it and I've taken it down until the low fuel light comes on which indicates 1 gallon left. At that point I tell myself to fill up within the next 20 miles to give some cushion. Haven't run out yet....but now that I've posted this...well...you know what's coming right? Now maybe some tweeters in place of the fuel and air temp gauges...hmmmm

Old 06-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

My 2010 LTD gas gauge has a little less than a gallon in it when it starts counting down. I've rode it several miles past the "0" at the end of the countdown. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to see how far I could push it and if I ran out I had a friend standing by. Overall, I am satisfied with it's linearity.

I have 200 miles set as my range per tank in my Zumo, so it gives me a warning well before I need to worry about anything.