Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

handlebar swap...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Donkey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: handlebar swap...

I installed 518's on my roadking about a month ago. I did the work myself. The actual install is relatively easy. I did encounter a problem after install....bike would not start. A quick note in electrical forum and Shovelhead Bob steered me straight. I say do it yourself. You will love the bars but the satisfaction of doing it yourself cannot be beat. One more thing: go ahead and run the wires inside the bars, you won't regret it.

This has been by far the best mod on my bike. It really lets me appreciate the seat mod by Allen at Mean City Cycles. Known here as BadX.

For more info on my install search by author "Donkey"

Old 04-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: handlebar swap...

I put 518s on my 06 RK Custom. It went much easier than I expected, including fishing the wires thru the bars. All wires & cables are long enough, although longer throttle cables would look better. On the Custom, the turn signal wires have to stay outside. Take the precaution to shim the brake lever to prevent damaging the switch, use towels on the fender as mentioned, and put something on the floor to catch the ferrules your sure to drop from the throttle cables. Entire job took 2 1/2 hours.

The 518s are a great looking bar on a RK. I went for the larger diameter grips, as well.