Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID vs Deer

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 02:09 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: HID vs Deer

Thanks Iceman!

Those are some fine prices. Now I just need to find out my bulb sizes.

The HID Harley sells only has the HID on the low, it uses a halogen for the high beam and looks similar to my dual beam.

In looking at the dual beam I bought I found out there is a 55 watt low and a 35 watt high.

Maybe I can buy a 6000 HID for the site you recomended and move the 55 to my high beam.

I'll ask them what they think,

Thanks,

Bob

Old 09-24-2005, 02:31 AM
tmf2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>Elk hunters and elks all over the place.

Were they next to the deers? .....LOL......Sorry couldnt help myself .

Old 09-24-2005, 10:35 AM
cruisincruzan
4th Gear

Although this is a "gasp" BMW it is a nice illustration of what HIDs add. One thing about the so-called equivalent wattages of some bulbs, 55 watts gives you 55 watts. The effect on what you see is a multi issue thing. It is a combination of light volume (lumens), reflector and lens design, light color. The material I've read states that the difference in perceived light quality has to do more with color/temperature than actual differences in light output. I put a 90 watt low beam/80 watt high beam in my headlight after getting enough feedback from others that there would be no "frying" issues. It puts out a nice volume of light on the low beam spread and I have never been flashed on low. HIDs give you the best light output /energy use ratio. One other additional point about HIDs, if you have a bi-xenon system (HID on low and high) when you are on high beam the volume of light is the same, it is simply refocused as the present systems cannot increase the lumens on high. The ultimate lighting set-up would be a HID headlight with separate HID spots as your high beams (with one as a driving light and one as a long distance spot) serious light. http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...rue#Post469194

Old 09-24-2005, 11:07 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good information there. I've got Bi-Xenons in yes, Eeeks, (my bmw!) and they are great. The BMWs Xenons are some of the brightest/whitest I've ever seen, I rarely even use the hi beam when driving at all!

Old 09-24-2005, 11:31 PM
wild1
Cruiser

First off I find my 05 ultra lights to have the brightest lights on any bike I have ridden. I would suggest a couple things to improve what you have before spending a fortune on a hid system. First off make sure they are adjusted properly. Then you can rewire your driving light switch so the driving lights can come on with your brights. It is very easy to do and worth the 10 minutes it takes. If you have a 04 or older you can upgrade the headlight to the 05 and newer style or go with an adjure headlight. We did this on the ol lady's bike and it made a huge difference. Another thing you can do is go with a super white bulb like I did with my old Voyager. That also made a huge difference. You can do all of this for about 75 bucks and it will make all the difference in the world.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:30 AM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an H4 100/80 watt halogen headlight bulb. Very bright. Installs in 10 minutes, replaces the stock bulb. $20.00 or less from a local high performance auto parts dealer.

Steve

Old 09-26-2005, 11:49 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it will work or not on your 04. I spent some time on-line trying to find the brightest bulb that I could just plug in. I didn't want to take any chances with melt wires, nor did I want to replace any of the wires.

I don't remember where I found the info (my manintenance book, on-line somewhere, HD's site), but I did learn that the H4 Piaa bulb would fit my bike as is. I spent some time on a forum on this subjet on (I think) J&P cycles. The bulb I got draws no more amps than the stock bulb, but put's out nearly twice the light.

Joe

Old 09-26-2005, 11:23 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

Thanks Iceman!

Those are some fine prices. Now I just need to find out my bulb sizes.

The HID Harley sells only has the HID on the low, it uses a halogen for the high beam and looks similar to my dual beam.

In looking at the dual beam I bought I found out there is a 55 watt low and a 35 watt high.

Maybe I can buy a 6000 HID for the site you recomended and move the 55 to my high beam.

I'll ask them what they think,

Thanks,

Bob
I got the dual bulb set up also and hate it! I had replaced the stock single bulb with a 100/55w H4 Xenon boosted halogen headlight bulb that threw more lite! I tried a set of Nokya Arctic White H8 and H11 (the bulb size BTW Bob) Stage II Headlight bulbs (JUNK! anyone want them?) in the dual set so I'm more then interested in that HID site bulb. What did they say about retrofitting the Harley light? Can't find much of anything to replace the H8 & H11 bulbs with a higher wattage ones.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. After reading all and talking to my dealer, I orderd a pair of PIAA H11's and will try them in my Dual beam. Instead of using an H8 and an H11 I will put an H11 in the low beam and another H11 in the High beam. I looke at the HID and it appeared to be the same reflection as my dual beam. It did have a better shock mount. But only the low beam was HID.

I ordered the H11's from Import Performance Warehouse for $63.95 including shipping. Should have them this weekend.

Thanks again,

Bob

Old 09-28-2005, 09:49 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm pretty sure the H11 wont fit in the H8 mount. Keyed different. Try swapping before you open the package. Might be able to send them back if it doesn't fit...Let us know...

Quick Reply: HID vs Deer