Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID vs Deer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HID vs Deer

Everyone's talking deer, but don't forget about the stuff that doesn't get scared from loud pipes.... Large potholes, low shoulders and debris in the road. Having more light at night is never a bad thing and if you can avoid one situation because of more light, it's more than paid for itself!

Old 09-19-2005, 10:49 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: turbo38sfi

Everyone's talking deer, but don't forget about the stuff that doesn't get scared from loud pipes.... Large potholes, low shoulders and debris in the road. Having more light at night is never a bad thing and if you can avoid one situation because of more light, it's more than paid for itself!
This is more of why I want the bright lights, atleast with deer you have more of a chance of them moving away from you then that bigass pothole that doesn't

With that being said who's gonna be the guneapig(sp?)
[sm=shades.gif]

Old 09-19-2005, 11:32 AM
jlacasci
Tourer

I wanted more light for my Ultra and almost sh#$^t myself when I saw the price of the HID setup. I eventually went with the PIAA H4 bulb:

http://www.autobarn.net/pistwhseh455.html

It has the same output of a 110/100 rather than the standard bulb of 55/60 No wire changes or anything.

This bulb is definately much brighter than the stock bulb especially the hi-beam!

I've never seen the HID bulb and I'd love to see one at night side by side with my bulb. The HID would have to be pretty amazing to spring for the 600.00 over the 29.00 for the PIAA bulb. Not saying it isn't worth it at all though, if I was dodging deers and such I'd do it in a heartbeat if it was trully brighter!

Anyone know a site that show's comparisons of the HID side by side with other bulbs? I know it's not the same as being there, but it would give us an idea of sorts.

Joe

Old 09-19-2005, 03:19 PM
rgerber
Road Master

For what it's worth.....

"No foolproof way has been found to keep deer, moose and elk off highways and away from vehicles. Deer whistles have their advocates; some motorists insist the devices have helped them avoid collisions. But the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) says there's no scientific evidence to support claims they prevent deer from approaching cars or reduce crash risk. Perhaps a more promising approach is roadside reflectors, designed to reflect light from vehicle headlamps and cause deer to "freeze" rather than cross the road. Studies and field tests suggest they do reduce crash frequency to some extent."

http://www.statefarm.com/educate/antlers.htm

Old 09-19-2005, 03:46 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was some pretty good info, rgerber. Thanks for sharing.

All I can say is that I'm glad there aren't that many deer near Houston. Actually, the only ones I've ever seen in the past 2 years are at a guys house where he raises them.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:18 PM
rgerber
Road Master

Hey Ricky,

We made a 300 mile plus ride into the Arizona High Country yesterday. Elk hunters and elks all over the place. We passed an elk on the side of the road that was hit by a car before we came through. Poor thing had two broken legs. They were getting ready to destroy the animal. They'd already shot the driver....<GRIN>

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

That was some pretty good info, rgerber. Thanks for sharing.

All I can say is that I'm glad there aren't that many deer near Houston. Actually, the only ones I've ever seen in the past 2 years are at a guys house where he raises them.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Iceman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-19-2005, 04:29 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They'd already shot the driver....<GRIN>
ROFL. No hunters getting hit by car, huh?

Old 09-20-2005, 01:42 AM
KenM
Road Master

ORIGINAL: V2 Bagger

Got Deer Whistles?? That might save you some Doe, maybe even a few Bucks.
Funny

Old 09-20-2005, 05:27 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

hey joe,

I wanted more light for my Ultra and almost sh#$^t myself when I saw the price of the HID setup. I eventually went with the PIAA H4 bulb:
do you know if these bulbs will plug into my bike or do i need to do something else to accept these brighter bulbs. to my best knowledge my current headlight is NOT halogen

Quick Reply: HID vs Deer