Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went from Ventilator to Chisel A/C. Right calf extreme heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:49 PM
StarwalkerP
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went from Ventilator to Chisel A/C. Right calf extreme heat

Have a 2010 ultra Limited. 110" D&D exhausts. Bought it with a SE Stage 1 A/C & when I upgraded the 103" to the 110" I put a 58mm TB SE Ventilator A/C. In the 4 years I've road this bike my right calf has been fine or normal. But recently I put the SE 58mm Chisel air cleaner setup on and OMG. It feels like I got a heat gun pointed at my right upper calf. Has anyone experienced this or a similar deal? I'm going to try a servo cover by Kuryakyn to see if it'll block some of the new found heat. If not I guess I'll go back to the ventilator. I'm going to remove the vents out my lowers & I do notice it's hard not to have my leg in direct contact with the cleaner since it sticks out so far but I get red burns on my calf in a long days ride. Just wondering if I'm missing a simple cure. I thought it might be my cooling fans pushing hot air across but turned them off. No difference
Bottom line is all was just peachy fine until I just had to have that cooler looking air cleaner. Lol
Thanks everyone

Old 06-09-2015, 02:59 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,225 Likes on 22,614 Posts

Have the same issue.
Heat is basically trying melt my right calf as well.
Oil Bud Oil Cooler, dyno-ed, yadee yadee, and still hot hot hot.
Don't know if Jason's fans would help or not?
That may be my next move actually?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:00 PM
StarwalkerP
Supporter

Melt is a better description. On my calf it's very focused heat. Just about a 6" area of my upper calf. Trying the Kury servo cover first. See if that works. I'm guessing the ventilator either sucks in that same hot air or its large surface area blocks or turns it

Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think fans are going to positively impact this particular issue. This is just an assumption but I would say the new air cleaner actually flows better, or at least flows differently, and has created a leaner AF condition, which will cause the EGT to get hotter; that might explain the hotter temp on your right leg. It would have to be hooked up to a sniffer to validate and possibly adjust the tune. Its been my experience that even changes as slight as cleaning the air filter will be reflected by different O2 levels in the exhaust, slight enrichment can lower EGTs by a few hundred degrees but it doesn't really cool the engine.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:57 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
I don't think fans are going to positively impact this particular issue. This is just an assumption but I would say the new air cleaner actually flows better, or at least flows differently, and has created a leaner AF condition, which will cause the EGT to get hotter; that might explain the hotter temp on your right leg. It would have to be hooked up to a sniffer to validate and possibly adjust the tune. Its been my experience that even changes as slight as cleaning the air filter will be reflected by different O2 levels in the exhaust, slight enrichment can lower EGTs by a few hundred degrees but it doesn't really cool the engine.
Sounds like a good assessment to me.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:42 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Looking forward to hearing what you find out. I've been thinking about changing from the ventilator to the chisel seeing that it's one of the few options out there for the SE 58mm TB.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM
StarwalkerP
Supporter

Thanks Jason for your input. I've used your fans on my bike for a good while & they still work great. Because all was well before I changed out air cleaners & no other alterations were done. It's easy to assume the heat is from that change. I just haven't yet figured out what or where or how. I believe your words pretty much are right on. I'm going to try a few changes like the servo cover. Then take the lower vents off. Other than that I will probably put the ventilator back. But I agree it's not the cooling fans causing this focused heat flow

Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 AM
StarwalkerP
Supporter

HD-it looks really hot with the chisel in my book. Mines the contrast black & 58mm as u mentioned. Your leg has to lean out a fair amount due to its width and it does get warm but that's not the heat I'm experiencing. I never liked the way the ventilator points downward a bit in the front but it's slimness is nice on the leg position. I'm gonna experiment this weekend & see if I can keep it on. It looks much more aggressive to me

Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StarwalkerP
Thanks Jason for your input. I've used your fans on my bike for a good while & they still work great. Because all was well before I changed out air cleaners & no other alterations were done. It's easy to assume the heat is from that change. I just haven't yet figured out what or where or how. I believe your words pretty much are right on. I'm going to try a few changes like the servo cover. Then take the lower vents off. Other than that I will probably put the ventilator back. But I agree it's not the cooling fans causing this focused heat flow
Just a point of clarification, I don't think anyone suggested the fans actually caused the heat issue and I wasn't defending any such claims, just offering another perspective on the issue. I was actually responding at the request of member lionsm13, he emailed me directly to ask if the fans would help with this problem of increased heat after the A/C change, and I don't believe they will. The real challenge with any issue is always accurately identifying the root problem, which in this case I believe may be elevated EGTs, based on the info provided, but again it must be validated first. if it is in fact an elevated EGT issue, making changes or adjustments to other external accessories will not likely have an impact, fuel enrichment, or insulating the exhaust or your leg are the only things that will really make a noticeable difference. Hope you get it worked out.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:37 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by StarwalkerP
HD-it looks really hot with the chisel in my book. Mines the contrast black & 58mm as u mentioned. Your leg has to lean out a fair amount due to its width and it does get warm but that's not the heat I'm experiencing. I never liked the way the ventilator points downward a bit in the front but it's slimness is nice on the leg position. I'm gonna experiment this weekend & see if I can keep it on. It looks much more aggressive to me
Any photo's of it installed on your bike? I'm due for a new dyno soon so I might try to install a chisel before I get it done just in case that is the cause of the extra heat your getting.

Quick Reply: Went from Ventilator to Chisel A/C. Right calf extreme heat