Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went from Ventilator to Chisel A/C. Right calf extreme heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:52 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

If the A/C was the only change then it is the problem. Most likely the tune/map but look for install issues too.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please follow up with your findings. This is an interesting thread.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:30 PM
StarwalkerP
Supporter

HD. I'll take a few pictures this weekend. Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I guess I had it stuck in my head the problem was mainly a radiant heat coming off the heads that prior to the A/C change was non existing. On my leg anyway. I had checked with my tuner guy about would I need to retune after the A/C swap. He said that sometimes it seems to make no difference & some bikes it makes a huge change. To put it on & see how it goes. But never did it occur to me until Yall chimed in that it's very probable my exhausts heat has risen high enough to affect my legs happiness. I only have a laser temperature gun. I might also try getting the bike good & hot. Shoot the gun at the heat shield on the rear pipe by where my leg is. Then put the ventilator on and try again. Lots of scenarios to try for sure. It'll cost me $400 on a dyno but I bet that's probably the proper route. I'll post more as I go but it'll be the weekend. Thanks everyone

Last edited by StarwalkerP; 06-10-2015 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 PM
StarwalkerP
Supporter

Originally Posted by Brianc9876
Please follow up with your findings. This is an interesting thread.
I sure will

Old 06-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Scaffido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm noticing the same problem. I installed a Mach 2 air cleaner last fall, and just these last few weeks I've noticed extreme heat on my right calf. When I reach down and touch the air cleaner it's not hot, must be coming off the rear cylinder head maybe?
I think it's because the air cleaner sticks out so far my leg rest up against it, if I move my leg a half inch off the air cleaner everything seems fine. Thinking about going back to the stock air cleaner I just need to get more air into the engine from my fuel management and exhaust.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM
StarwalkerP
Supporter

Last night I put the Kuryakyn servo cover behind the A/C & removed the vents out of the lowers but couldn't test ride. I've scheduled for next Tuesday to get the A/F & EGT checked out on the dyno room. Will test ride hopefully Friday afternoon & then wait to see what results we get Tuesday. I'm not wanting to per say get a full dyno but just the A/F corrected if possible. My bike runs great. The only thing I noticed with the Chisel is a slight engine ping if I let the toms get down around 2200-2400 in the higher gears. But with the SE 251 cams it's never liked anything below 2600 anyway. 2800 is where it wakes up. After I ride Friday or Saturday and its still cooking my leg. I may put the ventilator back to make sure it's the AC only. Gonna pull the spark plugs & check them too.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 AM
StarwalkerP
Supporter

Here's the contrast black chisel 58mm & the Kuryakyn chrome servo cover behind it

Old 06-11-2015, 10:32 AM
StarwalkerP
Supporter
Old 06-11-2015, 10:34 AM
StarwalkerP
Supporter
Old 06-11-2015, 10:39 AM
StarwalkerP
Supporter

Here's the pictures HD-Rolling. First time I've put pics in. Not sure why they so huge. But I'll keep working

Quick Reply: Went from Ventilator to Chisel A/C. Right calf extreme heat