Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbe question on '99 EG Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015 | 10:31 AM
Muleears
|
Advanced
Default Newbe question on '99 EG Ultra

I hesitate to even ask as I know it's been asked before but my searches just leave me scratching my head even more... I hate to beat a dead horse with one of my first posts..... I'm looking at a '99 Ultra with 41K miles. My question is about cam chain tensioners. I know that is a common problem with this bike and I am trying to understand what this work entails. Can they be easily inspected? I called my local indy, they told me 8 hrs labor and $800+/- to do the job on both tensioners. I assume it would be wise to do them both once in there. They were replacing the chains also. What makes me confused is the talk about hydraulic tensioners/roller chains/gear drives etc. Can just the tensioning shoes be replaced or do the chains need to be done too? Is hydraulic better? I will just ride for pleasure, don't need more speed or torque. If you have read this far I appreciate your sticking with me. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 06-09-2015 | 10:53 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

That seems high to me, but I do my own work. I have trust issues. How much are they asking for the bike? If it's a really good price ok, but you might be able to get into a newer bike with similar mileage, and get the 96 inch motor. Plus the updated chassis. I bought my 2011 Electra Glide Classic for $13,500 with 42k miles. I did cams over the winter and cam chain shoes looked good. The 96 has the better tensioner system. Just a thought.

Old 06-09-2015 | 11:07 AM
Muleears
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
That seems high to me, but I do my own work. I have trust issues. How much are they asking for the bike? If it's a really good price ok, but you might be able to get into a newer bike with similar mileage, and get the 96 inch motor. Plus the updated chassis. I bought my 2011 Electra Glide Classic for $13,500 with 42k miles. I did cams over the winter and cam chain shoes looked good. The 96 has the better tensioner system. Just a thought.
Thanks for the quick reply. The seller wants $6000 for the bike which is the top of my budget. That's why knowing if it needs work will be critical. I don't want to buy it and have it sit in the garage till I can get it fixed. Is it just a question of when these will go bad or do some last? I know if they go bad I'm screwed.

Old 06-09-2015 | 11:21 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Muleears
Thanks for the quick reply. The seller wants $6000 for the bike which is the top of my budget. That's why knowing if it needs work will be critical. I don't want to buy it and have it sit in the garage till I can get it fixed. Is it just a question of when these will go bad or do some last? I know if they go bad I'm screwed.
That sounds like a good price for the bike. If you are at all mechanical, get a service manual, a torque wrench, and do the work yourself. It's fairly easy. Being the first year for that TC88 I personally would replace the shoes. I don't know that the chains would need replaced. You should do the inner cam bearings while in there also. You never know, you may luck out. My 2000 softail already had the screamin eagle cam plate with hydraulic tensioners when I bought it. That would be a big bonus for you. Good luck. Hope you can get it and get your knees in the breeze.

Edit: if you decide to try doing the work yourself, I'd loan you my cam bearing removal and install tool. Let me know how it works out.

Last edited by Buelligan666; 06-09-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2015 | 11:26 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

do you KNOW if they have ever been changed?

the 99 had a number of problems and HD addressed some of them with 'soft-recalls" and others by promising to fix damage from the cam drive or bearings destroying themselves for original owners the first 5 years or 50,000 miles

99's had problems with the cam drive- tensioners/chain

the inner cam bearing

the hardening on the cam lobes

on pre Oct 98 models the pinion bearing

the design of the heads ( the 88 TC had lower power ratings than the previous Evo motor...and the efi had higher emissions, lower MPG than the carb)

in addition the EFi version used in 99 was a mess...and that is the last year for the single piston brakes.

I wouldn;t touch a 99.

but this is your decision and the entry price is good

Old 06-09-2015 | 11:47 AM
Muleears
|
Advanced

Thanks to both of you for the input. I am mechanically capable, I do most of the work on my cars. When the indy said 8 hrs. labor I figured that put it out of my level of confidence. Thanks for the offer of the tool, I will keep that in mind.

I knew the '99 had other problems. I don't know the build date but hope to find out today. It has a power commander if that helps the FI problems, I don't know. I didn't know about the cam lobes.... good reason to re-cam I guess.

Old 06-09-2015 | 11:52 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

With 41k miles the '99 issues should have been addressed but always a good idea to look in the cam case every 20-30k miles. Yes you can replace the shoes only. Cyro shoes are a good choice. Not a bad idea to replace bearings while in there replacing shoes. Parts would be under $150 and If you aren't doing the labor, figure 3-4 hours. Gears or hyd kits are a waste unless ya are a high mileage rider imho. Oh yeah, if that '99 is fuel injected, stay away.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 06-09-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2015 | 06:41 PM
Muleears
|
Advanced

Thanks gentlemen for the information. I've decided to pass on this one, just too many ??? for my budget. I may try to find a nice bike a little older with an EVO and a carb. Thanks again and I'll be back.....

Old 06-09-2015 | 07:59 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

If you are not set on a touring bike, there are many newer dynas out there for the 6k money.

Old 06-09-2015 | 09:56 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

I talked to a shop about a cam change an was quoted around $1,300 for a cam, cam bearings, tension shoes, adj push rods, a tuner an labor. This was an Indy shop though not a HD dealership. Based on this....$800 for tensioners sounds high to me.

Quick Reply: Newbe question on '99 EG Ultra