Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:09 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seat Upgrade

I've done some research and can't really find anything that fits my needs for a new seat.

I'm 5'10 and weigh 180#. I want something that lowers me down a bit, but is comfortable enough to ride for 2+ hours for me and the wife. After about 1.5 hours the wife wants off for a bit. I can flat foot both feet when stopped, but I'm almost standing when I do.

The only seat that I can find that seems to do what I want is the Mustang One-Piece LowDown, part # 79700. http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/...FLHT-FLTR-FLHX

Does anyone have this seat? What are your thoughts on it?

Does anyone have a recommendation besides the LowDown?

Old 06-08-2015, 02:28 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Go to Venturerider.org: classifieds: Members Vendors: Rick Butler: Butt Butler Seat Mod.

He's done two seats for me in the past and does very good work for very little (cost more to ship it than his actual costs). I'd atleast give him a call and let him know what you got and what you want and see if he can help you. After he worked on my seats, the only visual difference was the rear seat looked puffed up alittle due to the layer of memory foam he put on top of it for the wife to make it softer.

And I completely understand if you don't want your seat modified, just throwing out another option.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I picked up a used Ultra seat for $100.00 with a couple hundred miles on it. I sent it to Mean City Cycles and had them do the super narrow mod on it with memory foam. I have a 30" inseam and it's perfect on my SGS I did not have them do anything to the passenger seat and my wife and I can ride all day.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:38 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer

Originally Posted by King-a-ling
Go to Venturerider.org: classifieds: Members Vendors: Rick Butler: Butt Butler Seat Mod.

He's done two seats for me in the past and does very good work for very little (cost more to ship it than his actual costs). I'd atleast give him a call and let him know what you got and what you want and see if he can help you. After he worked on my seats, the only visual difference was the rear seat looked puffed up alittle due to the layer of memory foam he put on top of it for the wife to make it softer.

And I completely understand if you don't want your seat modified, just throwing out another option.
Originally Posted by TcHunter
I picked up a used Ultra seat for $100.00 with a couple hundred miles on it. I sent it to Mean City Cycles and had them do the super narrow mod on it with memory foam. I have a 30" inseam and it's perfect on my SGS I did not have them do anything to the passenger seat and my wife and I can ride all day.
I have looked into the seat modification, if it was winter and I wouldn't be riding for a few weeks. I'd rather buy a new seat than be without the bike a few weeks in the prime riding season.

Thanks for the ideas. If I don't do anything this season, I will have my seat modified this winter for sure.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:39 PM
05softailnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TcHunter
Mean City Cycles will do the trick, probably for much less than the cost of a new seat. I had them do my softail stock seat and it was awesome. With my SG, I went with a Mustang seat because I did not want to be without a seat while it was being done. I like the Mustang, but I kind of wish I had just done the stock seat mods with Mean City.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:44 PM
fattybob
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on Mean City Cycles. I had my limited seat narrowed, memory foam (rider+passenger) and dual control seat heaters added. They lowered the seat a bit too. I am 5-10 weigh 190 lbs and also have a 30 inch inseam. I can now sit with both feet flat with bend in the knees without having to 'stand'. Much cheaper than a new seat.

Last edited by fattybob; 06-08-2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-08-2015, 02:49 PM
VB2KDH
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 269 Likes on 89 Posts

Had mine done by MCC. double layer memory foam for rider and passenger. done by appointment only. shipped 3 days beforehand. seat modified and shipped back to me on same day. got it back two days later. total of 6 days without seat.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:54 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer

Right now I don't want to have my stock seat modified.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Wife has the Mustang Lowdown for few years from her 08 UC then transfer to 15 Limited Low she loves it and goes non stop between fuel stop which is any where from 160 plus miles most of the time.One thing she doesn't like about it you can see the bare frame rails in the narrow part of the seat, guess going to put some chrome trim on it just like I did on her 08 UC.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:06 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Wife has the Mustang Lowdown for few years from her 08 UC then transfer to 15 Limited Low she loves it and goes non stop between fuel stop which is any where from 160 plus miles most of the time.One thing she doesn't like about it you can see the bare frame rails in the narrow part of the seat, guess going to put some chrome trim on it just like I did on her 08 UC.
Would you mind posting a picture of it installed?

Quick Reply: Seat Upgrade