Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The KLUNK, and ATF in the primary, again.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015 | 07:05 AM
Bikerscum
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by wscott

Thats exactly what my concern was with running ATF that i posted in a thread this same OP had on ATf someplace else with it being in fact thin visc wise (compaired to REC by mfg HD 80wt or 85wt or syn3 20-50 in prim ) not able to handle lube duty when it comes to larger bearings in prim case when ATF was designed mainly as a hyd lube and not to handle a lot of hi trq/pwr lubing for ex inner prim case bearing on the HD.
Once again, you can repeat that viscosity fairy tale endlessly, it still doesn't make it true. Check this link, and tell the class what viscosity, in oil terms, 80x gear oil is... http://www.doolittleoil.com/faq/visc...ae-iso-or-agma Now how does that compare to your recommended 20-50 oil? And, again... to ATF? IN OIL VISCOSITY TERMS.

Stop with the unfounded opinions, and just post facts for once.

And, as a bonus question, what fluid do auto transmissions handling 500 hp, with needle bearings, roller bearings, clutch disks, gears in mesh use?

Scott, if you don't want to run ATF, trust me... no one cares. But you really should make an INFORMED decision instead of just waving the viscosity flag.

Last edited by Bikerscum; 06-10-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2015 | 07:10 AM
Bikerscum
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Guntoter

While vehicles, trucks, heavy equipment, ets, do use ATF in transmissions or other mechanisms, I believe these will be circulated by a pump. Usually a high pressure one at that as most auto transmissions do. With the ATF being pumped at pressure it can lube much better than the splash or run down method in our primaries, which is why the early SE comps were not getting proper lubrication. ATF is basically hydraulic fluid with some lubrication properties.
It's been a long time since I played with transmissions, but I think the pump in there is to move fluid through the converter, valve body, servos, etc. I don't recall the bearings being pressure lubricated, but I certainly could be wrong.

Old 06-10-2015 | 07:16 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
...said ATF was a light weight hydraulic fluid designed for high pressure lubrication. It was not suitable for the large inner primary bearing.
There are large bearings inside an automatic transmission, all lubricated with the ATF. Even more in a front wheel drive application, since a differential is included. These bearings are ball or roller depending on the manufacturer and are every bit as large or larger than the inner primary bearing.

Last edited by foxtrapper; 06-10-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-10-2015 | 07:33 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

If you are going through the trouble of using Red Line in the primary, why wouldn't you just buy the fluid they make specifically for the V-Twin primary? I guess that wouldn't give you any reason to argue with people on the internet. It's your bike, put whatever the hell you want in it.

Old 06-10-2015 | 08:14 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
There are large bearings inside an automatic transmission, all lubricated with the ATF. Even more in a front wheel drive application, since a differential is included. These bearings are ball or roller depending on the manufacturer and are every bit as large or larger than the inner primary bearing.
Very true. My son and I just went thru his old small 4x4 Blazer automatic transmission. Not sure how much the high pressure wash of the automatic transmission applies in this. One of the engineer's comments was that they did not recommend it due to noise. Now was this noise reduction by a heavier damping oil viscosity any better as a lubrication? I am not sure. Hay, we use to think car motors needed 10-40. Now we put 0-20 in them.

maybe this will help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

Old 06-10-2015 | 08:28 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

I bet somebody, somewhere, runs Red Devil Lye in their tranny.
As for me, I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 Syn in all three holes, I keep it simple.
Clunk is clunk. All fluids changed at 5k, proper fill levels.
Ride.

Old 06-10-2015 | 08:41 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I bet somebody, somewhere, runs Red Devil Lye in their tranny.
As for me, I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 Syn in all three holes, I keep it simple.
Clunk is clunk. All fluids changed at 5k, proper fill levels.
Ride.
That does sound the simplest, and I see no problem with it although I have never tried it. Mainly because I am a cheap SOB and don't believe in the V-Twin hype in any way. So that lets me run Mobile 1 15-50 in the engine (no reason for motorcycle specific). Most anything I have on the shelf in the primary (usually Rotella T). And now am trying amsoil 75-90 severe gear in the trans because of the good results someone I truly trust (my Son) told me it smoothed out his 5th gear compared to Mobile 1 Syn 75-90.

Old 06-10-2015 | 09:25 AM
bowtech4life
3rd Gear

Left right left right left......right WTH do I do. I'm all about preventative maintenance. From what I have read so far it sounds like the clunk is coming from the dogs. I would think if the dogs are stopping or separating something than the strength of the material used to machine the dogs is a little more relevant than the lubrication factor (lubrication still being a factor though). Thats the clunk.

As far as lubrication for the clutch, i'm lost lol. I was told by a 40+ year old guy working on bikes for years to run Synthetic 20W-50, 10W-40 in the primary and 75W-90 in the transmission. That is what i will try for now. He has ran it for 28K miles and my other co workers swear by it too so i will give it a try.

Great thread full of information!

Old 06-10-2015 | 11:06 AM
Bikerscum
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
If you are going through the trouble of using Red Line in the primary, why wouldn't you just buy the fluid they make specifically for the V-Twin primary?

Actually I've tried it, the synthetic ATF works better. If it didn't, I wouldn't use it.

"It's your bike, put whatever the hell you want in it."

I do, and you should to.

Old 06-10-2015 | 12:18 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
Actually I've tried it, the synthetic ATF works better. If it didn't, I wouldn't use it.

"It's your bike, put whatever the hell you want in it."

I do, and you should to.
Don't ya know that if you are making an oil the smartest thing to do is "label" it V-Twin, then you can charge an extra 50% and everyone will think it's special stuff.

Quick Reply: The KLUNK, and ATF in the primary, again.