Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to identify HD SE AC Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 01:54 PM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help to identify HD SE AC Filter

Maybe someone can help me identify the AC filter on my 2007 RK Custom.

The backing plate is the standard HD Screamin Eagle Stage 1 (HD# 29478-05A), but the filter is not HD stamped. The only marking is what appears to be an Arlen Ness logo. No other numbers or identification anywhere.

The previous owner said the HD service dept told him that the filter was a DRY type and to only wash the filter, but not to oil it. I am the 3rd owner, so I assume the original owner did the changes.

Can you verify if that is correct, or is this filter supposed to be oiled? Did Arlen Ness ever used to make dry filters for the HD SE AC?

I'm thinking its time to change to a K&N anyway because this one looks like a few holes are starting to appear.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts
Old 06-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,578 Likes on 1,970 Posts

From the Arlen Ness site:
HAND MADE FILTER ELEMENT:

Each filter is handmade in the U.S.A. one at a time using the finest materials available
Filters are available in red or stainless steel jacketed filter elements
Standard red filters are pre-oiled, washable and feature 4-layers of surgical grade cotton for optimum filtration and maximum airflow
Stainless steel jacketed filters feature a synthetic material that is water resistant and never needs to be oiled. Just wash and re-use
Unlike most other filters, our process of hand pouring each filter ensures a strong clean bond between filter element and body with no restrictive urethane residue on the filter element

I agree your best bet would be to replace the filter with a KN and get the recharge kit from KN (soap and oil).

Old 06-04-2015, 03:02 PM
grapeapes
Tourer

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I thought it was the HD-0800 for this backing plate?

Old 06-04-2015, 03:03 PM
grapeapes
Tourer

Originally Posted by Vernal
From the Arlen Ness site:
HAND MADE FILTER ELEMENT:

Each filter is handmade in the U.S.A. one at a time using the finest materials available
Filters are available in red or stainless steel jacketed filter elements
Standard red filters are pre-oiled, washable and feature 4-layers of surgical grade cotton for optimum filtration and maximum airflow
Stainless steel jacketed filters feature a synthetic material that is water resistant and never needs to be oiled. Just wash and re-use
Unlike most other filters, our process of hand pouring each filter ensures a strong clean bond between filter element and body with no restrictive urethane residue on the filter element

I agree your best bet would be to replace the filter with a KN and get the recharge kit from KN (soap and oil).

Thanks so much. I looked all over the Ness site but never saw that. If you look for just replacement filters they don't tell you that. I had to go to the Big Sucker description to find what you posted.

I feel better that its not oiled, but gonna order an K&N soon.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That is indeed the stainless jacketed filter which they started using last year sometime. Wash, don't oil.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:02 PM
grapeapes
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hogpro
That is indeed the stainless jacketed filter which they started using last year sometime. Wash, don't oil.
Didn't realize it was that new. Its clean, but you can kinda see in the pics it already looks like its starting to develop holes. Unless its supposed to look like that.

If I hold it up to the light, this hole doesn't go completely through, but you can see it in the pic.

So is this a good filter to keep? Or should I switch to the K&N?