Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy Road King Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Easy Road King Questions

Does the new Road Kings windshields seem to tall, like your looking throught it?
Do the hard bags come off just for access or does the bike look good also (no ugly hardware) for a stripped down look?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:00 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Easy Road King Questions

I am 6'1" and have the standard windsheild on my '05 rk custom. I can see over the winsheild, which I prefer. I would never ride any distance without one. I love it, even with the apes I had put on last week.

When you remove the bags off a stock bike, it does look funny. Actually there is a post today about this same question. When you remove the bags, you will see the hardware, and yes in is UN attractive to some. But there are parts you can remove simply to clean it up a bit. Baggers are meant to have the bags, but I saw a bike in an issue of HOT BAGGER, and it was awsome. Like a big ol' bobber. JMHO

Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Found this on ebay. Not a bad looking bagger, with out the bags. IMHO

Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 AM
dhubley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The top of the windshield should be at about nose level (from what I have read and heard). For me, at 6'4" I needed a taller windshield. I just ordered one from Clearview.

Most folks don't want to look through the windshield, and there are numerous posts on how to cut down the windshield to the right height for you.

Any of the baggers look awkward without the bags (IMHO). Personally, I need the bags. It seems like I am always carrying something.I can easily carry two 6-packs on each side. Never know when I might get in the mood forsome suds and the refrigerator is bare!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:08 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

there are different shields available. i personally use the low one, it is 4 inches less than stock. there is also a tall one for you really tall guys.

with different shocks, the bike doesn't look awful without the bags, but definitely better with.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the clear standard size seems way too big, but if you're riding in the rain it is effective. I am 5'10 and for riding in fair weather, I use the Smoked Wind Deflector, Part# 58163-02, it keeps most of the wind off me and looks good on the RK. For extended rides it might be too short, I guess it depends how much wind you like in your face, what type of helmet you are wearing (full, 3/4, or 1/2),the time of year (cold or warm weather), and how many bugs are in the air...you'll still eat some bugs with this windshield.You would be better off buying astandard height windshield and cutting it to fit you for longer rides if you want the wind exposure kept to a minimum and reduce fatigue.

As far as riding without bags...I guess it depends what you have to show off when the bags are off. IMO, normally a RK with the bags off looks like it is missing parts or like someone stole the bags, it just doesn't look good with the mounting hardware still attached.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally .... don't care for the look of most touring bike setups without bags. Most have a Bag guard or like with the Ultras full cage guards for the saddlebags.

I do think it kinda looks 'funny' with the shocks showing but I can get around that mostly. The worst is the 'guards' or cages around the saddle-bags. Empty holes. To me I'd have to remove and rear guards totally and maybe have the shocks 'chromed' or something to give it a better look. Course I then would also have to chrome the entire final-drive area and put on chrome calipers...etc to try and give it a good look. Way too much $$$ for me to do all of that for my bike.

As far as shields. at 6'0" I look above my shield as I have a taller torso. Works great for winter but for the summer I'm thinking of a 4" short visor. I see the smoke is really popular .... but I would like a opaque black one. Don't know if anyone here runs the black 4" visor shields but would like to know if they like them or do they prefer the smoke ones.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 5' 11" and the stock shield was to high for me. I trimed it down 2". I hate the look of bagers with no bags.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Papa Travis, it's not you, the later-model windshields are higher than the previous. I put an E-bay special on my FLHRI and noticed it seemed taller than the old '01 'shield. Sure enough, it measured about a half-inch taller. I had the Mustang solo at this point, so taller is better. I saw a FLHR without the hardbags a couple years back at Palm Springs' American Heat rally, and because of the extensive 120-spoke rim, chromed hardware and whitewalls it looked great! But this bike had been low-ridered to the point that other than on I-10 it would be a chore to putt on.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
rgardjr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chuck1
Do the hard bags come off just for access or does the bike look good also (no ugly hardware) for a stripped down look?
With some extra hardware I think baggers can look pretty good without the bags:

These guys sell the stuff to get it done:

http://www.bruisersinc.com/index.html

Just taking off the bags doesn't make my Road King look very good though. Maybe if I added a custom wheel, pulley, rotor ... You guys know how it is more imagination than money.

Quick Reply: Easy Road King Questions