Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive 412 shock info needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Ratbag67
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default progressive 412 shock info needed

I have a 2011 street glide. My rear shocks (stock) are not airing up. I discovered this on the way to work today and won't be able to look at it until tomorrow. Worst case scenario I have to replace the shocks. My question is this: Has anyone run progressive 412 series shocks?
I know these are not the preferred but due to budget this is what I am looking at.

Thanks in advance, RB

Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Someone using these will probably chime in. I have been considering the 412's in the 12 1/2 inch length for my 2010 Ultra. I have read some reviews where 412 users are completely satisfied. There are others that will tell you to spend more for better shocks. My other consideration was the Harley low profile premium shocks.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Ratbag67
Advanced

Originally Posted by C908
Someone using these will probably chime in. I have been considering the 412's in the 12 1/2 inch length for my 2010 Ultra. I have read some reviews where 412 users are completely satisfied. There are others that will tell you to spend more for better shocks. My other consideration was the Harley low profile premium shocks.
I appreciate your input. I haven't had a chance to read any reviews. Trying to scour the forum for info... Lot of posts on shocks but I can't find anyone running the 412 series. (may just be my tired eyes not seeing it)

Thanks again. If I have to replace the shocks I'll definitely report back once I get them on and some miles on them.

RB

Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Prime Rib
Elite HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratbag67
I have a 2011 street glide. My rear shocks (stock) are not airing up. I discovered this on the way to work today and won't be able to look at it until tomorrow. Worst case scenario I have to replace the shocks. My question is this: Has anyone run progressive 412 series shocks?
I know these are not the preferred but due to budget this is what I am looking at.

Thanks in advance, RB

Always happy to help out a "Brother". The rear shocks on my Father, and My Electra Glide's refused to hold air. We both put Progressive 412's on our bikes. We think it was a great choice for the money. We also are both very happy that we didn't get the heavy duty springs. Many have said the heavy duty springs make it feel like you are riding in a Buckboard. The shocks we bought were the standard height replacements. I'd buy them again without any hesitation.

Last edited by Prime Rib; 05-29-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I am a big fan of Progressive. Much to the chagrin of the legions who insist on badgering us supporters into purchasing super expensive, high end shocks. That being said, I have used many a set of 412's on many a different motorcycle. Dating way back to my Shovelheads. They are a decent shock for the money, but are little more than a good replacement for the factory shocks. For not much more money you can upgrade to Progressives 416 air shock, and maintain the same adjustability as the factory shocks, if a wide range of loads is an issue for you. DON'T waste you time looking at Progressive's retail price guide. Huge discounts can be had on ebay and Amazon that can make them quite affordable. If your stuck on the base model 412 due to budget reasons, I agree the "standard rate springs" are the best choice, unless your well over 225 lbs and ride 2-up quite a bit.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:43 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

I had 412's on my Road King. 100 times better than stock. They're not the best, but probably the best bang for the buck.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Impala_ss
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 12 1/2" 412's on my 11 Street Glide and am totally happy. I consider myself to be a pretty good rider and they handle well and are 1,000 times better than 12" air shocks. I never need to adjust mine so needing a tool was not an issue. Can't even notice the 1/2" difference. Kinda wish I just went with the 13's. Easy install, set sag and you will be good to go.

There is a section of really choppy road near me with a stop light. Bike always grabbed ABS with proper front and rear braking with the air shocks if the light changed when close. I can now stop at the intersection w/o ABS.

I could have spent more money and I am sure they are better but I am happy with mine. Thinking of doing the front now to help with dive....

Old 05-29-2015, 10:01 PM
BLVN
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Ratbag67
Advanced

Thanks to everyone for the replies and input. Makes me feel better if I should have to go this route.

RB

Old 05-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Ratbag67
Advanced

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
... If your stuck on the base model 412 due to budget reasons, I agree the "standard rate springs" are the best choice, unless your well over 225 lbs and ride 2-up quite a bit.
Not sure what "well over" is, I'm a petite 265.
I don't ride 2 up often but I don't want to be riding a sponge when I do. So, best guess, standard or heavy duty? Kinda get the feeling that I'm going to be borderline on that... Standard to soft and heavy duty to rigid.

RB

Quick Reply: progressive 412 shock info needed