Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metalic Wookie Sound Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,663 Likes on 1,084 Posts
Default Metalic Wookie Sound Mystery

04 Road King, basically stock, quiet mufflers.

At highway speeds, I can hear this metallic Wookie sound. Kinda like a robotic Chewbaka. Sounds like it's coming from under the gas tank, which would indicate heads or intake being most likely. Has to be light load, otherwise it goes away. Climb a hill, it's gone. Coast down the other side of the hill, it's gone. I can also get the sound when I'm briskly pulling away from a traffic light, the sound happens near the shift point when I ride that way.

The Wookie warble doesn't vary much in frequency with either bike speed or engine rpm. Downshift, and it's all but unchanged. Speed up or down, it stays the same, though perhaps it gets a bit more strident as I go faster.

Chasing this sound is fascinatingly odd and difficult. It can only be heard with the windshield on, and when I'm sitting straight upright on the bike looking forward. Turn my head either way, and it disappears. Lean down on either side of the bike, it's gone. Heck, even leaning forward or back greatly mutes it. So it's likely sound reflection and amplification of something.

Of course I find nothing loose. Can't duplicate the sound by shaking things. Bike doesn't make this noise just by revving the engine in neutral or on the lift in gear.

So I'll just toss it out here and see if anyone else has run into this sort of thing, and if they found it and were able to fix it. Anyone have some ideas where my Wookie is hiding?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:36 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Just guessing....could it be a worn motor (or other) mount that gets to shaking only under certain conditions?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:43 AM
sbbrown
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your front wheel bearings

Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Check your front brakes