Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning about Works Performance shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Warning about Works Performance shocks

I recently ordered two Works Performance Steel Trackers and received them two weeks ago. Before unpacking them I read the instructions included in the package, and therein was a blurb about a requirement to return the shocks to the factory in CA for a nitrogen charge, oil change, and seal replacement periodically. There was no interval mentioned. I put high mileage on my bikes and don't like the idea of having to remove them periodically for service in CA, so I called and talked with a CS rep who could not give me a service interval, but said the service cost $85. I asked if I could return them for a refund and she said "yes," and that they didn't require an RMA.

Today I received a voicemail message from Works that they had received the shocks and were charging me a 20% restocking fee. I called and calmly protested the fee, but they said it was not negotiable. My complaint is that nowhere in there promotional material, including the website, do they mention periodic service. And nowhere on the site is there a mention of a 20% restocking fee on shocks that had never even been unpacked, much less installed.

They said my argument was unreasonable because any shock would wear out in 50k miles. I told him my '96 RK went 106k miles on the stock shocks, and he replied, "Yeah, but you were riding on springs the last 50k miles of that time." That's baloney, because I would feel it if I was riding on springs with no shock functionality. I also mentioned having factory Bilstein gas shocks on my last two cars, one of which had 124k and this present car 100k, and in no way were/are either of these cars riding on spent shock absorbers. He told me I was talking to a "shock expert" and implied that my 40+ years of driving sports cars and motorcycles was irrelevant.

To be fair, they did say that the shocks were "custom made" and implied they were worthless to them after the sale. I really think that a 185-lb. Harley FLH rider is hardly a fit they won't easily fill in the short run. I countered with the point that nowhere did they mention the service interval or the restocking fee.

I plan on copying this message to other forums and protest the charge to my CC company. I would like opinions on whether or not I'm being unreasonable. My complaints are basically that the service interval was never mentioned in their pre-sales literature, or if so I never found it and they didn't deny it, and I was never advised of a restocking fee if I returned them. This fee translates into almost $100.

Caveat emptor! Please be advised to think twice before ordering Works Performance shocks, and make sure you are certain you want to keep them if you do!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Warning about Works Performance shocks

The fact that they add services after the sale would bother me as well. If that was explained up front - that I'd need to send them in periodically for adjustment - then that'd be fine. But to do so AFTER the sale smacks of poor business ethics to me. That you actually got 100k servicable miles outta a set of shocks kinda boggles my mind as well - the general consensus is usually 30-50k from folks I've spoken with. However, I am NOT a shock expert - but I DO drive a fairly high number of annual miles (my 22-month old F250 turned 65k this morning), and would be amazed at a shock still delivering solid performance with that many miles.

The kicker is the restock fee - they SHOULD state that up front, period. I don't think it's unreasonable of you to protest it and refuse to pay it given the issues you encounterred. I'd email them and direct them to this string, because THEIR reaction to this will go a long ways to telling OTHER potential customers whether they want to do business with them.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:33 PM
tkjones2
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i could understand the restock fee IF the buyer new upfront of the periodic maintance return needed. but since it was after the fact i would be upset as well

Old 04-26-2007, 07:35 PM
notarheli
Cruiser

Under FAQ they mention a rebuild at 30-40K miles. Nowhere did I see a restock fee, only a return and respring/pressure change if the rider is not satisfied. Good luck. I do agree they won't be out money as the parts are usable on other applications or, most likely, for another person only the pressure would be changed.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I have been considering suspension upgrades myself and Works Performance was one I had been looking into. I thank you for posting this as it will cause me to ask a few more questions to all vendors. I would be pretty pissed too if faced with a similar situation. Keep communicating with them and be persistent and civil as you canbeand they should take care of you.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

I think you're 100% correct, and I'd be upset too. I really appreciate the heads up, even though it was at your expense, and will make a note NOT to buy their product!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM
maximus
Cruiser

Good post! I was thinking about their shocks awhile ago. Now..."Not so Much"

Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I consider the source of this transaction and I support the validity.

Note to self.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:54 PM
FreedmRider
Road Captain

Most shocks wear out over time and neeed to be replaced. If they are able to be serviced for about $100 and there is no need to respend $500 plus for a new set, well that doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Although it was stated above that it is mentioned in their FAQ, I agree that it should be indicated more "out in the open"

If they say they are custom and can't reuse them, they why are they restocking them and charging you a fee for it...

Old 04-26-2007, 08:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: notarheli
Under FAQ they mention a rebuild at 30-40K miles. Nowhere did I see a restock fee, only a return and respring/pressure change if the rider is not satisfied. Good luck. I do agree they won't be out money as the parts are usable on other applications or, most likely, for another person only the pressure would be changed.
You are correct, and I now see the note in the FAQ about a service interval. To me, that puts a point in their favor, as I had not seen this before. However, the CS rep should've told me this information in our phone conversation, and also should've mentioned the restocking fee. I want things up front, and if they have requirements like this, be up front about it! Doing otherwise is dishonest.

I appreciate the support here, and was prepared to take some licks from you guys for getting myself in this predicament. I make note of the fact that I didn't specifically ask about a restocking fee, but since they were not even unpacked, it didn't even occur to me. Had I installed them, they couldn't sell them as new and I think the fee would be acceptable in that case, although maybe not $100. The $100 fee won't break me, but it hit me as a matter of principle. FWIW, my CC company (HD Visa!) told me my argument was credible and said I would probably get a refund for the difference, pending a review I suppose by a higher tier.

Quick Reply: Warning about Works Performance shocks