Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning about Works Performance shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Warning about Works Performance shocks

ORIGINAL: DAVE12345
send them all the neg respos that you are getting from people around the world and see what happens now. I know by reading here that they have lost a lot of new customers
I sent them the URL's of the forums where this issue was posted, and invited them to reply if they felt I was treating them unfairly. I've tried to report the process of this order accurately, but it is only fair to allow them a rebuttal. I have no fear of that as long as they're honest.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care how good they are, if they have bad c/s I don't support them ('less I have too, and don't with shocks).

Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 PM
whateva
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I kind of see both sides. I can understand that you are upset about the 20%. On the other hand you are lucky that they agreed to give you a refund at all.

As far as the periodic maint. goes, I guess that if the shocks wear out, it is better to pay $85 than to have to buy a new set.

I love my Works Shocks. If they wear out in a reasonable period of time, I would gladly send them $85 to renew them,,, but thats just me.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Alamo
Advanced

I am research to buy shocks at this moment. Thanks for the heads up. I'll stay clear of Works Performance shocks.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: whateva
Well, I kind of see both sides. I can understand that you are upset about the 20%. On the other hand you are lucky that they agreed to give you a refund at all.
Maybe, but the point is that the maintenance requirement is buried in their FAQ, and there is nothing on their site about a restocking fee (that I can find). They also didn't mention the fee when I talked with them about returning the shocks. To top it off, the rep I spoke with today was very arrogant and uncompromising. Those are my only complaints. I don't doubt the qualtiy of their shocks, and I might have made a mistake returning them, but the issue on this thread is customer support.

I mostly posted this complaint to warn others about this policy, although I think it would be rare to have a pair of shocks returned based on the issue of routine maintenance.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone ever use Progressive Suspension shocks?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:40 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Taterdog
Anyone ever use Progressive Suspension shocks?
There are quite a few threads on Progressive shocks here and the Frame/Suspension/Front End/Wheels/Tires/Brakes forum. Do a search on "Progressive 412" and "Progressive 440". I read all of them before buying the Works shocks, which received universally good reviews from owners. The Progressive feedback varied from fair to excellent, a few saying they tried both Progressive and Works and they preferred the latter. That is what prompted me to order them. Again, I have no doubts about their quality, and that never was the issue.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 AM
whateva
Tourer

I hear ya Iclick. That sucks that they would risk losing sales over an issue like that. Hate that happened to you.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:16 AM
skid jackson
Cruiser

my .02
Keeping in mind that my main ride is a dirtbike ...
In the dirt you live and die by your suspension. If you ride dirt long enough your going to learn about suspension. Here is the deal ... all top quality suspension is rebuildable. In fact if it isn't rebuildable you don't want it. All good quality suspension should be serviced regularly. When they service it, they drain the oil and check all parts for wear. Why do they change the oil ... same reason you change the oil in your motor. To remove the old oil which is now full of impurities. When you don't change your fork or shock oil it basicaly turns into liquid sandpaper. This inturn wears out any interior componentthe oilcomes in contact with. Orifices/seals/o ringsgetwornand go out of spec.which inturn affects how the shock/fork works. Most rider don't recognize the wear because it happens slowly over time. Trust me on this. my dirt forks get an oil change 2X a year. If I was more **** i would do it 3 to 4x a year. It makes a huge difference in howthe forks feel. Very very noticable.

I'm not really a roadie so I will defer to what others have said on the change interval. My 07 egs is still stock. what ever i end up putting on it will be rebuildable and I will get it serviced on a regular basis. Probably once every 2 yrs or 20K miles which ever comes first.

I would be interested in seeing what the inside of those 106k mile forks looked like. I bet if you saw what came out of those forks you would have crapped yourself!!

Most people don't screw with suspension on thier road bikes because they don't keep them long enough to really worry about it. Plus unless they ride endless wash board dirt roads, smooth pavement makes bad suspension less obvious.

The shocks you sent back were most likely fine. However it seems to me that the guy on the other end of the line should have done a better job of explaining shock/fork maintainance. Sounds like you were more turn off by arrogance then anything else. In My book that is enough to tell someone to go pound sand!! I hope you get your 20% back but don't be turned off by suspension that needs to be serviced!! Servicing suspensionis agood thing!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 01:21 AM
TODDK
6th Gear

When I was looking for a bike I was surprised to find that I got the feelingthat a lotof the salesmen could care less whether they sold me a bike or not. I had one dealership that I couldn't get a salesman at all. This issue is a matter of principal. I won't buy from someone that doesn't appreciate my business.

There are a lot of things that come and go. Self respect shouldn't be one of them.

Quick Reply: Warning about Works Performance shocks