Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning about Works Performance shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Warning about Works Performance shocks

I appreciate the support here, and was prepared to take some licks from you guys
The afternoon crowd hasn't arrived yet. Your articulate mannerism will keep you above water though. As I said, I consider the source, feel that if something does change in the way this plays out you will be the first to retract or support your original thoughts/comments.

Eitherway, I am more enlightened and appreciate the input.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iclick,

I agree with you 100%. I'd be upset too if I were in your situation. As others have said, Works needs to be up front with all of the facts - before the sale (and not in fine print)! Your disapproval with the way Works is handling this matter is completely justified.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Judging by the attitude displayed by their customer service folks, they obviously have enough business to support an arrogant and unyielding approach to customer support. With that much money rolling in they obviously don't need any business from me or anyone I know, so I'll be sure to spread the word about their less than stellar customer support.

In these days of instantaneous feedback on a global scale (courtesy of the www) I'm surprised that an established company like Works Performance would subscribe to such lousy business practices and poor customer support. That cheesy hundred bucks they made off you will be eclipsed many times over by the lost revenue generated by your negative reviews on the internet. Imagine if they had bent over backwards to make you happy and accomodate you- they wouldn't have gotten the $100 "hose fee" but you'd be singing their praises and they'd be able to count on additional sales from the folks who read your review.
As it is they'll get the opposite, and just one or two lost sales courtesy of your feedback negates the piddly hundred bucks they made off you.
Maybe they'll put 2 & 2 together and come to understand that for many of us, putting up with crappy customer support is as "non-negotiable" as their restocking fee.
If not, who cares. Another vendor, who really wants your money and will treat you right, is just a mouse-click away...

Thanks for giving us the lowdown...

Old 04-26-2007, 08:35 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iclick, i think you are in the right on this. If they had told you about the restocking fee when you asked about the refund if returned, then it would be a different story.

I would still buy Works shocks personally, as they are a quality product, and for my ATV or Sporty they come highly recommended, not to mention they are local to me.

I don't think in the end it will be a big deal to your credit card company, as they will just charge it back to Works in the end anyway, and you will have gotten back your full refund.

But, it's good stuff to know about shocks... (both pro and con)

Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck
That you actually got 100k servicable miles outta a set of shocks kinda boggles my mind as well - the general consensus is usually 30-50k from folks I've spoken with. However, I am NOT a shock expert - but I DO drive a fairly high number of annual miles (my 22-month old F250 turned 65k this morning), and would be amazed at a shock still delivering solid performance with that many miles.
Tex, I appreciate your thoughts on shock life, and haven't heard of anyone who's replace their air shocks, even high-mileage bikes. I'm not suggesting they don't, but I just haven't seen it among the people I know who own Dressers and RK's. This experience, though maybe short on scope, had me believing a service interval on a shock was exceptional. My old RK's original shocks were never replaced, and at 106k miles I never had even a sense they were worn at all. That bike always rebounded from a dip in the road with no bouncing, even once after the fact. My car (a '95 Saab 9000 Aero with ~93k miles) has Boge gas shocks, the factory originals, and these shocks also give no feedback that they are worn out, or for that matter have any wear on them at all. The suspension remains taut and firm, without any abnormal bounce. There is no indication of wear, no leakage or weakening of the shock valving that can be felt driving it, nor were the Bilsteins I had on my previous car that I put 124k on before selling. These admittedly aren't run-of-the-mill OEM shocks, but if you believe the feedback I received from Works they were worn out at 50k miles.

The way the Works rep described it, any shock is worn out after 50k miles, but I feel this is not true across the board. He told me I had no shocks at all on either my car or the '96 RK, based on the mileage on them, and that I was riding on springs. Have any of you ridden a vehicle suspended by springs alone? It would be uncontrolable and bounce all over the road. You see old cars with this condition more than you should, and none of my vehicles have ever even approached this level of behavior.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:56 PM
DAVE12345
Advanced

send them all the neg respos that you are getting from people around the world and see what happens now. I know by reading here that they have lost a lot of new customers

Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

On the flip side - in their defense:

I am 150% happy with my WORKS STREET TRACKERS on my '05 Ultra - even if I had to send them back yearly for $100. [8D]

Spent $30,000 on my scoot as it is [:-] $100 is only a FRACTION of one percent of the value []

They are the ultimate in ride comfort hands down

The freakingstock air shocks SUCK bigtime -cheap a$$ design like allot of other OEM stuff. [X(][:@]

Why do we Harley people upgrade???

You'll never go back once you get a set of real shocks. [&:]

Old 04-26-2007, 09:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: dchoran

I am 110% happy with my STREET TRACKERS even if I had to send them back yearly for $100. [8D]
Spent $30,000 on my scoot as it is [:-]
They are the ultimate in ride comfort hands down.
The freaking OEM stock air shocks SUCK - cheap a$$. [X(][:@]
You'd never go back once you get a set of real shocks.
And I'm 110% confident that what you're saying is true, but the quality of the shocks isn't the issue here. Maybe I was foolish returning them to begin with, but keeping them would've required going through shock service every 2-3 years, which at the time I thought was unreasonable. That would require removal and either keeping a spare set of shocks or park the bike on the bike jack for two or more weeks. The point is that I made the decision to return them, and was met with an unannounced restocking fee and an arrogance I haven't seen in many years from any company.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Kern
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Ive been seriously hunting down some new ones for my SG. They could be the best damn shocks on the planet, crappy customer service.....yeah, that makes me look elsewhere.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
roadglide65
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone had opinion so here mine, Read the name of the company WORKS PERFORMANCE SHOCKS!!! and if any of you that don't think that shocks wear out go ask any performance suspension guy! Ask any motocross rider, ask how many shocks they carry with them to a track.

I will keep mine and send them back because, until you have ridden a dresser with them on it you wont know what a great ride is.

And BTW the C/S rep told me about sending them back while he was asking a lot of other questions about how I ride.

Quick Reply: Warning about Works Performance shocks