Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice - Pipes and EFI Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Wags1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice - Pipes and EFI Tuning

New here but have spent some time reading thru lots of past posts that are close to my questions. I'll try to give the Readers Digest version of the background and then get right to my questions.

Bought my '07 Road King Classic in August of last year (traded in my '03 Dyna Super Glide, man what an improvement!). Had SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers (64985-07) installed before I took delivery of the bike. When I took it back for the 1K mile service in October they still did not have the SE Stage I Kit for EFI (29773-02) available yet which I had originally ordered when I bought the bike. The dealer said that the MoCo still did not know whenit would be available but that they were installing the SE A/C Kit (29440-99D) as an alternative on other '07's that were being sold to customers and that it was essentially the same thing. They did install it but they did not flash the ECM as they said that the new closed loop system would adjust automatically since everything else was still stock.

Now the questions -

1. After reading and hearing from lots of sources that they definitely should have flashed the ECM when they installed the SE A/C Kit, I checked my plugs. Theyseemed a bit on the white side to me. The bikeseems to be running fine. I called the dealer and they are going to flash the ECM for me. I put about 2K miles on withthe SE A/C Kit installed but no ECM flash. Should I be worried about possible damage I may have done to the engine? BTW,the dealer claims that at the time (October of last year) they were still getting conflicting information from the MoCo as to whether the ECM really needed to be flashed or not.

2. Now that the right kit (SE Stage I EFI Kit 29773-02C) is available should I insist that they remove the one they put on and put the right one on or are they correct that their is really no difference?

3. I am not happy at all about the sound of the SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers (64985-07). Sounds like I am riding a damn Volkswagen. Looking to put on either the Rinehart or V&H Oval slip-ons. Once the dealer flashes the ECM for the A/C kit can I just install the slip-ons and go or do I need to go with the SERT and dyno tune?

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:31 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Need some advice - Pipes and EFI Tuning

Not sure about Question 1. as far as the white plugs. Some will depend on the type of riding you have done on the bike I would think (ie highway crusing) or if you were in a lot of stop-n-go traffic. As you have seen by many posts the '07s run very lean so the heat is an issue. You mentioned you have the Touring mufflers installed. One thing (which isn't scientific by any means) is if you have the stock header pipes on it ..... how 'blue' are they (how far does it extend). Also depends on where you ride. putting on 2kmiles on the bike .... some will depend on the outside temp. If you rode it during cooler times then might not have been as much heat buildup.

The bike should 'shut off' if it gets too hot. It is the 'last resort' thing so nothing critical happens to the engine. If you haven't had it 'shut down' automatically on you then you probably have been 'ok' from a heat perspective.

I'd have them replace the plugs and do a check on the bike just to be sure. Also with it running leaner than before you might have 'em check the 02 sensors.

I guess I'd ask the parts/service what the difference is. more than likely it is a little 'gasket' change or something silly like that. My SE AC bolted on just fine and havn't had any issues with it. I would think the difference is very small/subtle and probably not worth a new one.

Last but not least..... the Pipes. First off you definately need the ECM adjusted. It is possible you are so lean you aren't getting the sound out of your pipes as needed. Not enough fuel mix with the air to give really good compression and output. I'd get the ECM done and let that sit for a bit see how you like 'em. have someone with a bike come over (that you trust with your baby) and have them take it around the block so you can hear it as an observer. Take it for a little road test with you on their bike running shotgun to get a more clear picture of the sound/frequency coming out of the pipes. Since the pipes are a few feet in back of you, and the exhause flows backward you often can't adaquetly hear the real sound unless you are behind it while it is running. Just some things to think about as far as the pipes go. I would bet dollars to donuts the pipes will sound much better once the ECM change takes place and you get a better mix of air/fuel in the cylinder. They generally change the settings based on the bike and components itself. running SE pipes is different than V&H ones and RineHart...etc. It would need to be re-tuned for each type of pipe you are running.

Putting it on the DYNO is a good thing and you could go with the SERT or you could also go with something like the ThunderMax which is an ECM replacement (auto-tuning). Load the base-map and it can take over from there. Nice thing about the ThunderMax is it also replaces the 02 sensors (stock are narrowband) with new ones (wideband). I don't have the ThunderMax but am definately considering it.

Personally I would stay away from the PCIII for an 07. It doesn't even register/take into account the 02 Sensors. That is my opinion though.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:48 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The air cleaner is the same except for a place to tuck a unconected wire, no need to change. It absolutley needs the download or a sert or pcIII or something to richen up the fuel circuit they are 100?% wrong about the 02s. The se pipes were a waste of money they are only about 5% better performance over the stock ones.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Wags1
Tourer

Thanks for the reply icemAN. Glad that I don't have to worry about replacing the A/C.

I will run it a bit after they flash the ECM just to see if it changes the way I feel about the SE pipes. I'm coming from a set of V&H Straight Shots that I had on my '03 Dyna Super Glide so I did know going in that these were going to be quieter but geez, these things seem just too quite for my taste. I was looking for something a bit mellower but not this quite. Good suggestion on having a bud run it for me so I can hear what it sounds like.

I am not interested in a piggyback solution like the PC III so it will be something like the SERT for sure. I like the idea of the SERT and using the existing ECM module but just altering the SW that it is running.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Wags1
Tourer

Agree 100% about the SE pipes gunrunner....if I had to do it over again I would have saved my money and went with the V&H or Rinehart slip-ons right from the beginning. Live and learn I guess. Suppose I will try to sell them once I get the pipes changed...

Old 04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well cant give guarantee but its hard to hury natual asperated motor even if run lil lean.If it was riding with roughness or spitting back or sputter Id say you fine.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

has anyone out there use the arlen ness big shot efi tuner ???

Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Nascar
Stage III

I recently did the Arlen Ness Big Shot on my 05 95ci with stg 1 kit &amp\\;\\\\\\; flash, SE pipes. Before Big Shot, I had surge at low rpms and lots of back firing on decel and shifts due to lean condition. Now, she runs smooth at low rpm's and no backfiring. Still playing with settings, but I would say it's a big improvment over just a stg 1 flash.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 07-11-2008, 08:01 AM
cnnesseth
Cruiser

Hey nascar I see you have a big shot tuner I have one and I'm still getting decel popping on my 99 electra glide with wild pigs with 2" baffles I have no leaks do you have any setting suggestions??? Thanks!

Old 07-12-2008, 01:42 AM
the bad bagger
Cruiser

I had done the a/c, sert, and Supertrapp se slip&nbsp\\;ons&nbsp\\; on my 06 Road Glide. It sounds nice without being obnoxious. Runs very well.