Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:50 PM
wvrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Road King fairing

I am thinking about getting a fairing and would like to here some input from those of you that have one. Which is best, best for the money, pros and cons, etc... Thanks, Lee

Old 04-25-2007, 10:58 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Road King fairing

I have the hoppe quadzilla and it kicks azz!!!The only thing i dont like is that the stereo isa lil outdated!It does bump pretty loud tho.I can hear my tunes doing 80+ on the highway.
I paid 1300. on ebay and 200. with two helmets for paint.Easy install as well.
Do a thread search for pros and cons of the others:dragonfly and deadcenter's fairing.Plenty of info on here bro.

See my gallery for fairing pics!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 PM
wvrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks G, anyone else have something to add???

Oh, buy the way G, sweet lookin ride!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:18 AM
1mrbill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Dragonfly on my '04 RK Custom. All I can say is, I'll never have another bike without a fairing.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:52 AM
onthedish1
Tourer

I've got the Dead Center Cycles fairing on my Road King, it's awesome, www.deadcentercycles.com.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:57 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

I had used a stock 1976 FLH (Shovel Head for those new to the game) front fairing & chromed the metal supports that attach to thetriple trees. The “Batwing” fits over the headlight. I would do all fitments prior to chroming & painting. I bought mine for $10.00. No, there is no place for a radio in its stock form. There is no inner fairing either. That was the way things were done then. It works well. I use a tall windshield and I ride thru the monsoon season and go up north with good protection during the winter. Or U can spend thousands by not being inventive.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/46DF5BE6ADA042C496821BC896BFFCB4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-2007, 02:00 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought a dragonfly and didn't like how the front and back piece matched up and it didn't seem to detach as easily as the Quadzilla...I ended up sending it back. I figure that If I need tunes Ican clear anextra space in my garage for an Ultra Classic.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:30 AM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have personally looked at all three and went with the Quadzilla for reasons it would take too long to explain here. I thought they all were of comprable quality. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and each has a slightly different look to the inner fairing. You need to check each one out and decide which features and inner fairing design most appeal to you. Probably the best buy right now is the Quadzilla on Ebay. I think they are going for around $1395 on a buy it now basis.I think the big unknown is cost to finish and paint. Gmoney did it for $500; I spent considerably more.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/C2241F43B02D4F6594C2DD24A31B0B83.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/51A68F7DE3A741E78B4351F73F5D06DF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/5E650A67522142FDB3745A9C5E519BA7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you want to remove it?

If so when you want to put it on, do you want it to lock?

If you answer "no" to both choose anything except Dead Center Cycles.

They havea unit that is "Lockable and Detachable" it goes on over the fork mounting slide studs (mounting points) that a "Stock" Road King uses for the Windscreen.

The fairinghas sturdy stainless steel mounting rails to attach to the bike, as well as the locking parts.

It only takes "Seconds" toplace the fairing on the bike and or remove from the bike. Even with the radio options because Dead Center Cycles havedesigned anthe same as H-D uses electrical connectors"plug with receptical" for the radio power.

You can get options on your Dead Center Cycles from: bear fiber glass, painted, radio, cig lighter.

If you paint thats great. If not, I would strongly recommend getting DCC and the paint option. They color match to your H-D for you. For the price and ease of receiving your new fairing, consider this, do you want to put it on your bike and go RIDE with it and see how well you like it the VERY day it arrives?

When it arrives at your door ready (barring any taking it out of the box and minor assy required, as is with most items you get shipped to you, maybe need to assyemble some, because you don't want something shipped that gets broken so they have it packed securedis-assembled most cases) you canto put on and go, even with the radio installed by DCC you "Can" take it out for a ride! And have a ball.... of course you will want to eventually wire the power to the radio by fully installing the wiring into your bike wiring later, but you can still ride your bike with the unit right out of the box without you plugging up the wiring right off the bat!

You will be money ahead getting it painted by DCC. I know. If you have done a search on the site about fairings you may have found the postes I've had "Problems" with my paint getting done.It was a real PITA getting the paint job that I wanted on mine. (btw, I've bought mine prior to DCC offering paint options)

All with the Best quality (Speedy)service before andafter the sale.

I looked at all of them, I almost went with Hopie, just didn't want to have 4 speakers in my face. They do have a good quality unit, IT WON"T LOCK on to your bike like DCC will.

Dragonfly has fiberglass mounting hardware. I don't see that as a durable selling point!! We all know how much vibrations our bike has at idle...

Additional photos of my bike fairing are in Dead Center Cycles, Photo Gallery close to the bottom of the page.

Overall for the money, let me just say, even excluding the extra costs for the gauges I've installed. I've still spent quite a bit "OVER" what you would pay getting it totally optioned out from DCC...

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Ram in that you will be further ahead to get one that is pre painted. I think that painting is an unknown costwhen you get an unpainted one. Better to let the manufacturer worry about finishing up raw edges, fitment issues and final paint quality. Based on my experience if the manufacturer offers it for $5-600 it is probably a good deal compared to what you will pay a paint shop to do it. There is also the hassle of running back an forth to the paint shop, disasembly and reassembly. I had mine done twice andI may have to have it done a third time to get the quality I want.

Quick Reply: Road King fairing