Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody put baffle wrap in Rinehart 4"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:32 PM
North Star
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anybody put baffle wrap in Rinehart 4"?

I like the sound of my Rinehart 4" mufflers on my 2009 SERG, but wouldn't mind changing up the sound a bit just because. Also when riding 2 up under load, it's a bit loud.

These do not come with any packing/baffle wrap.

I would use the screens from Fullsac along with Dynamat or some other proper baffle wrap material.

http://fullsac.com/product/2012-2015...ffler-sleeves/

A common mistake some make is to wrap the baffle tightly with the wrap. This hurts performance, and can make the pipe even louder if wrapped too tight, since the gasses that would normally exit the baffle's holes are forced back into the core, creating a straight pipe effect.

The Fullsac sleeves hold the material against the inner wall of the muffler, which creates the air space between the baffle core and the packing.

Has anyone tried this, or the usual method of wrapping a Rinehart baffle?

How did it change the sound?

Old 05-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Pizzahog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious on this as well. The 4" Rineharts on my 14 SEEG are a bit much also. The screens with packing work well from what I have read but I have not found results with Rineharts. I don't see why it would be different.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm happy with my exhaust most of the time. There are times out on the highway at 90mph where it seems like too much. Especially with a passenger. Wish there was something easily removable I could put in the end once in a while. Or that I could create my own. Just don't know enough about the exhaust to do so w/o fearing I've taken away power.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM
hdultra2010
Cruiser

I think rinehart makes quit baffle for 4". Not sure though .

Old 05-07-2015, 10:18 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hdultra2010
I think rinehart makes quit baffle for 4". Not sure though .
Riney's come with the quiet baffle in them. The "performance" baffle rattled my filling out on trips and killed my torque. They lasted about a month in my scoot.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Pizzahog
6th Gear

I recently bought a 14 SEEG that has V&H headpipes and 4" Rineharts. The true duels are a little harsh for my ears.

So I did a little experiment on my 4" Rineharts. The Fullsac sleeves seemed like a good idea but I didn't want to spend the money and find they made little difference. I had some heavy duty galvanized 1/4 inch square screen and made a set of retainers to hold the baffle wrap to the outer part of the muffler.

I had a roller that worked well to roll the screen into a sleeve but it could have been done by hand.

I then wrapped it with material from an Ebay seller and secured it with some stainless mig welding wire. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141644704975...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

One baffle and end cap came out easy. The other was tight and it took a fair amount of persuasion to get it apart. All surfaces were cleaned up and were coated with anti seize for assembly. The tight baffle was massaged with a belt sander to loosen up the fit a little.

The results are pleasing so far. The harsh metallic sound is gone, replaced by a low throaty rumble at idle or steady cruising. Crank on the throttle and the loud Rinehart sound its still there but not quite as sharp. The same goes for any rumbling/popping on deceleration. The screen worked well and if anything it has less surface area than the Fullsac sleeves so may work better? Time will tell how long the wrap will last but seeing that it is held away from the baffle perhaps that will extend it's life.

The Rineharts are still a little on the loud side for my aging ears but I will give them a while to see if I can live with them.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:16 AM
North Star
Road Captain

Wow, so someone had tried it. Thanks for that Pizzahog.

I ordered the same Techmat from that ebay seller, except I went with the 1/4" thick instead of the 1/2" version. Figure I'll try one wrap around, and then if I needed to, I could do a second wrap to make it 1/2" thick.

I'll have the stuff delivered by the end of the week and post the results.

The following users liked this post:
Bluffsguy (04-01-2019)
Old 05-09-2015, 04:35 AM
CanonSterVA
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great experiment.
Looking forward to additional results.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Pizzahog
6th Gear

Well, here's an update on the baffle wrap experiment. While the wrap did take the edge off the Rineharts, after a Sunday afternoon ride with the wife aboard I came home fed up with the noise. Even with speakers in my helmet, the exhaust was relentless. This is on a 110 CVO.

I then pulled the baffles and added a washer welded to the shank of a bolt and put it about 4" down from the inlet. That knocked the Rineharts down a notch and made them bearable at cruise for my aging ears. It sounded ok on the road but in the shop had a odd pftt when revving it on the stand. Maybe it would be better to put the restriction towards the exit to force the exhaust into the muffler chamber. IDK

Then I spotted a set of 14 CVO muffler take offs on Craigslist not far from home.

I put those on retaining the V&H true duel headers. Sounds pretty good now and has a little more grunt at low rpms. It is definitely a muffled sound and I may play around with the stock baffle and try to get a lower rumble. OR, I may decat the stock header and try that with the CVO mufflers. Again I will alter the baffle. I personally prefer the sound of a crossover combined exhaust.

I understand the love for true duels and Rineharts. I too love the sound if it is on someone else's ride. Like many other threads, I found the cure for the Rineharts... replace them.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:37 PM
North Star
Road Captain

So I finally went down to pick the screens and material today, and installed them in the mufflers.

Easy install with the Fullsac screens- they length is just right, and the fact the springy screens compress makes it much easier to install since the packing material just sits loose around the screen. Had to fiddle around a bit, and slide it in nice and easy while keeping the screen compressed in order to avoid the packing bunching up.

So at idle, it definitely sounds deeper. I just rode around a country block, so I don't have a for-sure opinion, but my first impressions are this did just want I expected it too- still has that Rinehart sound, but now with a bit of the edge taken off. The 4" Rineharts never sounded too "tinney" (like the 3.5" do), but any tinniness is much reduced or gone.

I'm glad I went with the 1/4" thick material vs the 1/2" stuff- I think 1/2" might have muted it too much. I just did one wrap around.

Overall, this little mod worked well. I'm off work for 2 more days and the weather looks nice, so I'll do a couple hundred miles in the next 2 days and will update my thoughts then.

Last edited by North Star; 06-01-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody put baffle wrap in Rinehart 4"?