Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody put baffle wrap in Rinehart 4"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:39 PM
North Star
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizzahog
Well, here's an update on the baffle wrap experiment. While the wrap did take the edge off the Rineharts, after a Sunday afternoon ride with the wife aboard I came home fed up with the noise. Even with speakers in my helmet, the exhaust was relentless. This is on a 110 CVO.

I then pulled the baffles and added a washer welded to the shank of a bolt and put it about 4" down from the inlet. That knocked the Rineharts down a notch and made them bearable at cruise for my aging ears. It sounded ok on the road but in the shop had a odd pftt when revving it on the stand. Maybe it would be better to put the restriction towards the exit to force the exhaust into the muffler chamber. IDK

Then I spotted a set of 14 CVO muffler take offs on Craigslist not far from home.

I put those on retaining the V&H true duel headers. Sounds pretty good now and has a little more grunt at low rpms. It is definitely a muffled sound and I may play around with the stock baffle and try to get a lower rumble. OR, I may decat the stock header and try that with the CVO mufflers. Again I will alter the baffle. I personally prefer the sound of a crossover combined exhaust.

I understand the love for true duels and Rineharts. I too love the sound if it is on someone else's ride. Like many other threads, I found the cure for the Rineharts... replace them.

It sound to me like you should get the Fullsac 1.75" or 2" baffles and install them in the CVO cans. You could try them with or without the packing. The Rinehart's have a 2.25" baffle, which is considerable louder.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 AM
eg78
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
So I finally went down to pick the screens and material today, and installed them in the mufflers.

Easy install with the Fullsac screens- they length is just right, and the fact the springy screens compress makes it much easier to install since the packing material just sits loose around the screen. Had to fiddle around a bit, and slide it in nice and easy while keeping the screen compressed in order to avoid the packing bunching up.

So at idle, it definitely sounds deeper. I just rode around a country block, so I don't have a for-sure opinion, but my first impressions are this did just want I expected it too- still has that Rinehart sound, but now with a bit of the edge taken off. The 4" Rineharts never sounded too "tinney" (like the 3.5" do), but any tinniness is much reduced or gone.

I'm glad I went with the 1/4" thick material vs the 1/2" stuff- I think 1/2" might have muted it too much. I just did one wrap around.

Overall, this little mod worked well. I'm off work for 2 more days and the weather looks nice, so I'll do a couple hundred miles in the next 2 days and will update my thoughts then.
Awesome, I'd like to try this. Can you post the exact parts you bought?

Old 09-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I run 4" CVO mufflers and recently purchased some FulSac baffles for them. After getting them apart I found a lot of the packing in poor shape.
I already spent what I think is a crazy amount just for the baffles so I put on my thinking cap and remembered my days of touring thru water/sewer plants that they wrapped a lot of the pipes in tightly wound fiberglass with a heat resistance outer cover. I went on grainger.com and picked out some wrap with the correct O.D. and I.D. They are slit down the middle so they can be opened up to install on the pipe. I had to make the both I.D. and O.D. a little smaller so a good sharp utility knife and yard stick cuts it to what you want. There is no way to cut the I.D., it is made smaller by cutting full length making both diameters smaller. I actually cut the length with my power miter saw.
They have a 1000 degree heat rating which is probably a little low but after 1000 miles they still sound the same. Think I paid $25 for both wraps and have enough left over to wrap one more muffler. If you feel you must have that gap between baffle and insulation you can do that by picking out some wrap with a bigger hole.

Last edited by Just Me; 09-05-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 AM
eg78
Cruiser

i just bought some wrap 26$ and a fireplace screen for $40. Im going to cut the screen and shape it into cylinders to hold the wrap in place. Ill let yall know how it turns out.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Just re-reading this thread and what I wrote 3 years ago. Had to read it several times to remember what I was saying and I apparently wasn't clear at all. Sorry about that. Here is a pic (that maybe was there and disappeared?) I used a bunch of adapters from the auto parts store to make a graduating exhaust pipe. It takes the place of a baffle, but is really a pipe within a pipe. I stuffed a bunch of batting between this and the outer 4"ers.

To correct back pressure I installed Big City Thunder QQ's.

QQ's deepen the tone, graduating pipe creates a bit of a megaphone effect while improving exhaust flow, and leaning towards a deeper tone, then the batting (wrap) absorbs any higher pitch notes that still exist.
It's loud, but it is deeeeeep.

Occasionally I do wish I could dial it down a bit, but it's rare.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:43 AM
eg78
Cruiser

Originally Posted by elliot@videotron.ca
i just bought some wrap 26$ and a fireplace screen for $40. Im going to cut the screen and shape it into cylinders to hold the wrap in place. Ill let yall know how it turns out.
So this mod cost me $65 Canadian. I bought a fireplace screen and some baffle insulation. Cut the screen out of the frame to size (about 15" x 11") rolled it up into a cylinder, wrapped the insulation around it and slid it in the pipes, the screen extended and opened up pushing the insulation against the inside of the pipe. Then I slid the rinehart baffles through the screen and reinstalled them. I just took the bike around the block and notice that the tin sound is completely gone. It's really just a low rumble now and when I crack the throttle, I still get a really nice bark. I couldnt be happier for the price I paid.