Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015 | 09:10 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Which is another reason why Im ok getting older..

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Yup. That's what happens when a young feller with iffy credit goes zero down through HDFS at 24% interest on an over-priced motorcycle making minimum payments and tries to sell after 3 years....

How do I know?

To be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb...

Old 05-09-2015 | 12:02 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Default like talking to the wall

It's been fun but your right the motor Co had no intention of making the Street Glide a hot rod bagger Out of the big touring bike. They definitely are not responsible for getting in on the hot rod bagger craze! (What was I thinking)
But by all means go on

Last edited by 5150northrider; 05-09-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2015 | 12:11 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
But by all means go on
Because I recognize, and specialize in sarcasm, I believe I will.

Changing the looks does not make a hot rod.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hot%20rod
-a car that has been changed so that it can be driven and raced at very fast speeds

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hot+rod+definition
-a motor vehicle that has been specially modified to give it extra power and speed

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hot+rod
-an automobile specially built or altered for fast acceleration and increased speed.

Old 05-09-2015 | 12:19 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by barchetta

What I should have done was taken $350, thrown it on the ground and pissed on it.. my GF would have been more impressed.

I see you've about got it sorted out but let me say this: We can ALWAYS use another man around here who can convey his thoughts accurately

Old 05-09-2015 | 01:01 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Default thanks for making my point

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Because I recognize, and specialize in sarcasm, I believe I will.

Changing the looks does not make a hot rod.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hot%20rod
-a car that has been changed so that it can be driven and raced at very fast speeds

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hot+rod+definition
-a motor vehicle that has been specially modified to give it extra power and speed

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hot+rod
-an automobile specially built or altered for fast acceleration and increased speed.

And you don't think that's what they did??? I'm done!

Old 05-09-2015 | 01:18 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
And you don't think that's what they did??? I'm done!
No sir, that is not what they did.

The engine, transmission, clutch... all the same.

They changed appearance items.

Don81 from here and I ran ours through the paces. We were dead even way past the speed limit. If his SGS was a hot rod, he would have eaten my lunch. My saddlebags and tourpak were full.

Putting a spoiler and racing stripes on a Honda Civic does not make it a race car.

Old 05-09-2015 | 01:28 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

The Streetglide is a bike that is bought mainly on looks. 10 miles was not a long enough ride to determine a $20K give or take cost.

I test road a 15 Ultra Classic and a 15 Road King. The King road just as good as the Ultra.

I also test road a 15 Streetglide CVO and hated the way it road. (yes I made sure the shocks were set for both soft and firm during the test on all these bikes)

If you bought the SG for the looks hoping for a touring ride, then your in for some trial and guessing and along with that, lot's of money.

Id look into a set of air shocks from a reputable manufacture. As for a seat, ask your local dealer if they would let you take a day ride demo on a couple different seats.

In the mean time, my 13 heritage rides great. I believe the counter balanced engine has a lot to due with that.

Old 05-09-2015 | 01:41 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

The SG/RG is firmly a "Hot Rod look"...
It may not perform like a straight up drag strip hot rod but they look the part.

Will say that the term "Hot Rod" is relative and can be personal and not exactly defined by performance .
Your 60-70's corv/stang/velle/chall-a-charger (Hot Rods) would be utterly DESTROYED in performance next to say a BMW M3 or GTR or whatever but you'd never call those cars a Hot Rod. They don't look the part...

But... I'm not here to correct someone's opinion. That's just mine. Believe what you will. It's cool.

Last edited by lp; 05-09-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2015 | 10:36 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Well after being thoughroughly beat to **** yesterday on every bump even after playing once again with pressures I decided to order up the 944's. Problem is I seem to fit right in the middle of weight as far as which spring and I keep reading on here that the heavy duty version is just too hard for some people..

Im 180 and my gf "reportedly) is 110.. so that puts me way under the HD's solo (I do mostly ride 2 up but that could change).. and 2 up we are at 290.. ugh.

Per a post from Progressive on here: "What we would suggest is if you are over 235lbs as a solo ride or riding over 50% of the time two up to go with the HD spring rate."

Anyone have advice? I actually ordered a set of HDs on amazon but asked for it to be cancelled due to all the negative posts on here re: HD springs.

Old 05-10-2015 | 10:50 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by barchetta
Well after being thoughroughly beat to **** yesterday on every bump even after playing once again with pressures I decided to order up the 944's. Problem is I seem to fit right in the middle of weight as far as which spring and I keep reading on here that the heavy duty version is just too hard for some people..

Im 180 and my gf "reportedly) is 110.. so that puts me way under the HD's solo (I do mostly ride 2 up but that could change).. and 2 up we are at 290.. ugh.

Per a post from Progressive on here: "What we would suggest is if you are over 235lbs as a solo ride or riding over 50% of the time two up to go with the HD spring rate."

Anyone have advice? I actually ordered a set of HDs on amazon but asked for it to be cancelled due to all the negative posts on here re: HD springs.
I bought the standard duty spring. We ride 2 up mostly. I'm 220 she's 130. I bought mine used. They were cranked as tight as they would go and ride like a dump truck. I back the preload down. It just glides over bumps now. I really need to set sag, but I need an extra hand taking the measurements. I actually spoke to progressive Thursday about setting these up. The tech said 3/4"sag. He told me to get the bike loaded and set the shocks so they measure 11 1/2" eye to eye. They may ride a little rough in the beginning, but you just gotta break them in. I'm very happy with mine. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail