Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015 | 02:04 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Default more to it but yep

Originally Posted by barchetta
Let me understand you.. rear shocks and larger front wheel =hot rod?

Just want to be clear on this
The FLHX was set up more for being a hot rod then a 2up bike same for the road Glide over the road Glide ultra! I was just trying to say if I was going to ride with my wife all the time I would prefer the FLHTK because it was made for the two of us. Don't you think the street Glide is set up to be sportier then the ultra limited ?

Old 05-09-2015 | 07:08 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Sportier? I don't think that is the word I would use.

More sleek... maybe.

HD started making the SG to make money. A lot of guys were buying the EG Standard, and lowering them to give them that custom look... HD saw dollar signs, Instead of selling the EG Standard for 5k less than the Ultra, and letting guys do their own thing to them, lets take the same bike, add a stereo, lower shocks, a much cheaper low windshield, fancy wheel and a couple of chrome tidbits, and crank the price up, they'll fly out the door, THEN we can stop selling the economy model!

And they were right, they did.

But they are still the same bike.

IF they sold a model with custom paint for ONLY the SG, AND they put, say, the 120ST engine on them, with bigger cams, different pipes, mufflers and tuner, an upgraded clutch package and a more stout frame...

And that was the only way to get a Street Glide...

THEN I might agree with the Hot Rod sentiment.

For now, the only thing close to a Hot Rod that Harley sells is a V-Rod.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 05-09-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-09-2015 | 08:01 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

I didnt know the history but I agree with this statement... its the same damn bike just sleeker without the chrome pieces on the front fender and so on. I guess we could throw the seat in with the front wheel and rear shocks.. which is a comfort feature for sure!

Originally Posted by SafetyMan

More sleek... maybe.

HD started making the SG to make money. A lot of guys were buying the EG Standard, and lowering them to give them that custom look... HD saw dollar signs, Instead of selling the EG Standard for 5k less than the Ultra, and letting guys do their own thing to them, lets take the same bike, add a stereo, lower shocks, a much cheaper low windshield, fancy wheel and a couple of chrome tidbits, and crank the price up, they'll fly out the door, THEN we can stop selling the economy model!

IF they sold a model with custom paint for ONLY the SG, AND they put, say, the 120ST engine on them, with bigger cams, different pipes, mufflers and tuner, an upgraded clutch package and a more stout frame...

Old 05-09-2015 | 08:11 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

More sleek... maybe.

They sure did! Let's take the front fender for example. Same shape and mounting. They use less machinery to produce, because there is no need to punch holes in it. Then they don't put any chrome on it. They don't paint "classic" or "ultra" on it. No pin stripe. Right there is a huge production cost savings. Now I'm sure there are a few things on them that cost more, but for the most part the Moco stripped a ton of chrome trim and do-dads off, and priced it higher.

I agree, not a hot rod. Just a "custom" bike....... from the factory. Lmao!

Old 05-09-2015 | 08:23 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
They sure did! Let's take the front fender for example. Same shape and mounting. They use less machinery to produce, because there is no need to punch holes in it. Then they don't put any chrome on it. They don't paint "classic" or "ultra" on it. No pin stripe. Right there is a huge production cost savings. Now I'm sure there are a few things on them that cost more, but for the most part the Moco stripped a ton of chrome trim and do-dads off, and priced it higher.

I agree, not a hot rod. Just a "custom" bike....... from the factory. Lmao!

Here dealers do take the SG and make real customs out of them and sell them for a pretty penny.. wheels, paint, and accessories.. and they do a damn good job of it too.. they know what looks good. I think the sell for around the $32k price point.

Old 05-09-2015 | 08:32 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

You know what you have when you build a fast Harley?

A slow motorcycle.

Old 05-09-2015 | 08:32 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by barchetta
Here dealers do take the SG and make real customs out of them and sell them for a pretty penny.. wheels, paint, and accessories.. and they do a damn good job of it too.. they know what looks good. I think the sell for around the $32k price point.
Yeah, that's a scam and a half too. The dealer closest to us does that a lot. They throw some accessories on and jack the price through the ceiling. They do sell though. They screwed themselves on a Dyna a few years back. Custom paint and all the RSD accessories. They priced it $8000 over msrp. It's been in their showroom for 4 yrs now.

I'll probably never be able to buy brand new, but if I did I'd tell them to give me all the take of parts too. If I'm paying full price for the accessories they decided to add then I want the stuff that came stock on the bike too. That's a whole other debate.

Old 05-09-2015 | 08:41 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Wildcat HD in London, KY is bad to do that.

I watched a custom painter sit on a milk crate in their showroom one afternoon doing custom old-school hand laid pinstripes on about half of what they had on the floor.

The denim black SG looked BADASS with the lime green flame pinstripes he laid down...

The dealer added some black accessories, maybe an exhaust, and sky-ed the price. A friend of a friend eventually bought it.

Now he has it for sale, for what he OWES on it. It is a 2011 IIRC, and he needs $28,000 to pay it off.

If I want **** on my bike, I'll put it on myself, and if I want fancy hand laid pinstripes, I'll find some Juan here in SA to do it... there really are some kick *** artists here... or go to a rally and have it done and cut out the middle man. Yeah, Wildcat probably paid that dude $500 for the work he did on that bike, but I'm sure they charged $1500 for custom paint.

Old 05-09-2015 | 08:56 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

Now he has it for sale, for what he OWES on it. It is a 2011 IIRC, and he needs $28,000 to pay it off.
holy.....

I bought my 11EGC for $13,500 last July. Granted I put a lot into it to make it mine, but jeez!! I could never justify a motorcycle for that kind of money.

Old 05-09-2015 | 09:05 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
holy.....
Yup. That's what happens when a young feller with iffy credit goes zero down through HDFS at 24% interest on an over-priced motorcycle making minimum payments and tries to sell after 3 years....

How do I know?

To be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb...

Quick Reply: Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail