Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015 | 12:53 PM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ben221
Get a deal on some stock longer shocks. A guy has 3 sets, can't be that much to try that first. Unless you are flush with cash of course then pull the trigger.

Let us know what you did and how the passenger likes it.

Im gonna go with the 944's. as soon as I get them I will report back.. might be a few weeks. Im tired of buying parts used and hoping..I have a damn inventory in my garage from my softail of shocks and seats.. Need to post them on here.

Old 05-07-2015 | 04:33 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Default same frame

Originally Posted by barchetta
Its the same bike.. the only difference on the suspension is the rear shocks/springs.
Set up totally different! One is a hot rod for one and the other is for 2up that was my point!

Old 05-07-2015 | 05:19 PM
fat daddy
Road Master

I just bought a 2012 SG after hearing how incredible these bikes ride. Did I take it for a test ride first? Yes.. but you really cant get a feel for a bike in 10 miles.. I just got done riding to and from Panama city and Im really let down.. granted I have a stock SG seat.. when I got there I had a vendor modify the seat.. Master Lugo I think was his business name.. he put some hard foam on the pan and some "memory foam" on top and shaved both seats to compensate somewhat.. . My GF was a real trooper.. her bottom really hurt, Im sure worse than mine did.

What I should have done was taken $350, thrown it on the ground and pissed on it.. my GF would have been more impressed.

I played with air on the way down, set it up for my loaded up weight and then started to drop it.. think I wound up at 40-45.. then someone suggested I goto 30lbs and I went to 35 to be safe.. bike took the bumps "better" but no where near what Id expect from a touring bike.. and then it started to bottom out on some bumps.. I would guess my loaded weight was around 380 lbs with clothes and passenger (chopped tour pack).

My 2006 softail had progressive suspension shocks and the bike was set to factory height (all the way up).., I had a mustang wide touring seat and my butt didnt hurt like it did on the SG..

I should point out I traded my softtail in on this for many reasons which I wont go into here, but it wasnt just ride.

So, this isnt a bitching session but Im looking for advice.. Ive been looking at seats and my biggest thing is with a stock SG seat I already feel like Im riding on top the bike.. and I dont want to sit much higher.. I do miss that sitting "in" the bike feeling but I know that I wont get that back.. so Im wondering if a set of shocks would make a SIGNIFICANT difference on this bike?

I should also mention I require a back rest and bought a brand new one so I hate to lose that "investment"..

I guess what Im saying is, do stock harley rear shocks on a 2012 SG suck? Cuz right now, if I were a betting man Id say yes.. and I wonder, why?

bitch bitch bitch I know I'll get this thing set up for me.. just looking for advice.. thanks.
The only way your going to get the feeling of setting down in the sg is to install a drop seat kit on it. I installed one on my sg and its night and day the way you set in the bike.

Old 05-08-2015 | 01:05 PM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by fat daddy
The only way your going to get the feeling of setting down in the sg is to install a drop seat kit on it. I installed one on my sg and its night and day the way you set in the bike.
I think if you read my question it says I have no expectation of being in the bike.

Old 05-08-2015 | 01:05 PM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
Set up totally different! One is a hot rod for one and the other is for 2up that was my point!

Let me understand you.. rear shocks and larger front wheel =hot rod?

Just want to be clear on this

Old 05-08-2015 | 01:51 PM
06SGWA
Road Master

Title should read, "Unhappy moving from a Mustang seat to stock."

Apples to turds my friend.

Old 05-08-2015 | 02:06 PM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by 06SGWA
Title should read, "Unhappy moving from a Mustang seat to stock."

Apples to turds my friend.
You know this may be the most accurate comment made here..

Old 05-08-2015 | 02:16 PM
D W K
Road Captain

To each his own but I went with a used seat off here from MeanCity Cycles. The front was lowered and narrowed and rear was reworked. The rear has relief in the center. My wife is very happy with it. I see one in the classified section now. We have ridden 10-12 hours in a day with no issues. This is after throwing away $350 on having the stock seat modded also. What a POS.
I went with the air ride shocks but have yet to try them out yet. I wanted the adjustability from solo to two up and the air seemed to fit the ticket. I have to choose carefully because I am vertically challenged.

Old 05-08-2015 | 02:32 PM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by D W K
To each his own but I went with a used seat off here from MeanCity Cycles. The front was lowered and narrowed and rear was reworked. The rear has relief in the center. My wife is very happy with it. I see one in the classified section now. We have ridden 10-12 hours in a day with no issues. This is after throwing away $350 on having the stock seat modded also. What a POS.
I went with the air ride shocks but have yet to try them out yet. I wanted the adjustability from solo to two up and the air seemed to fit the ticket. I have to choose carefully because I am vertically challenged.
Can you send a link to this seat? Not seeing it in touring.

Disregard.. I found it.. is the passenger seat comfy enough?? Looks a little small.. and not very wide?

Last edited by barchetta; 05-08-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2015 | 09:45 PM
D W K
Road Captain

Can you send a link to this seat? Not seeing it in touring.

Disregard.. I found it.. is the passenger seat comfy enough?? Looks a little small.. and not very wide?
Well my wife is not that big so results may vary. lol She did comment on it right away once she sat on it.

Quick Reply: Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail