Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015 | 03:08 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

No way a passenger over 50 lbs is going to be comfy on the back of a stock street glide seat. It is just too narrow, thin and slants towards the back.

Going to have to loose the slick look and get some substance. Sundowner is a common choice due to comfort and price. The Hammock is a step up from that but more $

Changing out the stock rear shocks is another step to comfort. Least expensive is the Premium hand adjustable from HD. It is now standard on the new Street Glide Special. Much smoother and better handling. It is available in 12" or 13" length. You get to choose between more travel or a lower stance. 12" come standard on Street Glide, and 13" on the Electra-Glide.

Ohlin shocks can be even better, but more expensive.

I sold my stock shock and purchased a used, take off, Premium hand adjustable, and am very happy with that choice.

Looks like you got off to a bad start, but there are solutions that will make both of you smile.

Old 05-05-2015 | 04:24 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain

"The Ball & Chain" and I really like the Corbin DualTour. We have > 25k "Sport Touring" miles on the Corbin. I like the way it looks, the Corbin flows more with the lines of the bike ('09 SERG), it doesn't look like an overstuffed sofa...

+1 on the HD Premium shocks.

Old 05-05-2015 | 04:59 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

I haven't heard anyone mention the fact that most Harley dealers keep a dozen or so of what they call Demo Seats in their back rooms. They are even stamped "DEMO" in red lettering on the seat itself. The purpose of these seats is so riders can pull their seats off and try out all the different seats without having to buy one until they are happy with a DEMO seat. Most dealers will let you keep their demo seats on your bike for a few days before bringing it back. If you are not happy with one seat just keep swapping them out until you find one you like. That way you can get plenty of miles on it before you just send some clown in BFE $500.00 for a seat before you even get to set on it.

Old 05-06-2015 | 10:35 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Anybody know what the part # is for the 440 shock with a standard spring? And am I to understand the 13" 440 sits you at 12" height?

Old 05-06-2015 | 10:47 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by barchetta
Anybody know what the part # is for the 440 shock with a standard spring? And am I to understand the 13" 440 sits you at 12" height?
The Progressive site shows the 444 series available in 13" 12.5" 12" and 11".

Standard spring rate 12" in black 444-4061B

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...-series-shocks

Old 05-06-2015 | 10:53 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
The Progressive site shows the 444 series available in 13" 12.5" 12" and 11".

Standard spring rate 12" in black 444-4061B

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...-series-shocks
Yes, Im aware.. was looking for a used 440 shock.. maybe I will call and ask

Old 05-06-2015 | 10:54 AM
MadIrish
Tourer

My buddy and his wife tour on their SG alla time and have not changed shocks. Don't go jumping into that craziness.

First, you will NEVER get the same ride in feeling that you get on a softtail .
Second, the seat on the stock SG sucks, particularly for the passenger
Third, replace the seat.....My wife likes our Sundowner just fine, I'll be going with a Hammock next time. MOst of the comfy replacement seats (at least from HD) will bulk up the bike and lift you up a bit, too.
Fourth, play with the air settings in the shocks to see what you like AFTER you get the new seat on.

If you can't make significant improvements based on the seat and air, then look at shocks, but I think you'll find you are happy.

Old 05-06-2015 | 11:04 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by MadIrish
My buddy and his wife tour on their SG alla time and have not changed shocks. Don't go jumping into that craziness.

First, you will NEVER get the same ride in feeling that you get on a softtail .
Second, the seat on the stock SG sucks, particularly for the passenger
Third, replace the seat.....My wife likes our Sundowner just fine, I'll be going with a Hammock next time. MOst of the comfy replacement seats (at least from HD) will bulk up the bike and lift you up a bit, too.
Fourth, play with the air settings in the shocks to see what you like AFTER you get the new seat on.

If you can't make significant improvements based on the seat and air, then look at shocks, but I think you'll find you are happy.

Last night I dumped all the air out.. I was thinking Id not feel the small bumps.. felt every single bump.. I think the springs are set too heavy for me.. I weigh 175.

Old 05-06-2015 | 11:39 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior

I use an Ultra take off seat for my Road King Classic and my wife really likes it, and I have grown to like it, $125 off a new bike from Ebay. I don't care for the look but she is happy, I am happy. I agree the short shock puts you at a disadvantage so get a take off set from another tourer as they are 1" longer and run the pressure at 40-50 pounds. This will help immensely. If you have the cash then maybe progressive adjustable rear shocks but I like air adjustment.

Old 05-06-2015 | 12:06 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by barchetta
Yes, Im aware.. was looking for a used 440 shock.. maybe I will call and ask
Here's the 440 in chrome 12" standard rate.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspension-440-4209C-Standard-Inertia/dp/B000UK3NQI

Quick Reply: Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail