Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015 | 01:37 PM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Anybody that told you the Street Glide was great riding 2-up in factory stock form lied to you.

If I would have made the trip the OP did, my wife would have had me stop at a car dealer after about 50 miles.
She would have then went in and purchased a new car, and told me she's see me when I got home.

The factory seat will not cut it for 2-up riding.
The factory 12" air shocks are not much better either.

I changed out both on my Street Glide.
Sundowner seat and 13" HD Premium Hand Adjustable shocks.
That made the bike ride much better for 2-up riding.

Now I have traded it off for a new '15 Ultra Limited, and it is even better.
Yeah, I feel bad.. although I we rode a few hundred miles and I asked her if she thought she;d be ok on that seat.. but that was not the case for either of us..

thinking sundowner used and the 12" shocks that have the extra 1" travel mentioned here (Progressive Suspension 944 Series Ultra Touring Shocks 944-4020UT) .. shocks will have to wait though.. Ive blown my wad on all the other "crap" I put on.. thanks guys..

Old 05-05-2015 | 01:46 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
You would like a comfortable seat? Easy,get you a Harley hammock and be done with it.
Worked for me, but because of the frequent low temps up here in the North, I got the heated option. That and the premium shocks with the hand adjustment. I never liked the air adjustable shocks.

Old 05-05-2015 | 01:48 PM
batman.
Road Master

My OL wouldnt even get on the rear stock seat much less ride 5 miles on it. I got the hammock when i ordered the bike. It was her only and had to have input for the bike.

Batman

Old 05-05-2015 | 01:49 PM
equandt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by barchetta
I had a mustang wide touring seat and my butt didnt hurt like it did on the SG..
You might want to get another Mustang seat for your SG. I've got a Mustang seat on my Ultra and its pretty comfortable.

Old 05-05-2015 | 02:21 PM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by equandt
You might want to get another Mustang seat for your SG. I've got a Mustang seat on my Ultra and its pretty comfortable.
Yeah agreed.. and that pillion is super comfy.. 14" wide and thick.. looks HORRIBLE.. but...

Old 05-05-2015 | 02:35 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by barchetta
....looks HORRIBLE....
Close you eyes for a minute, and think what looks better....

Nice lean sexy seat, and the girlfriend at home when you get to your destination... alone except for Ms. Right (hand).

OR

Nice comfy seat, and a happy girlfriend when you get to the hotel....

Sounds like an easy choice to me.

Old 05-05-2015 | 02:40 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

btw all of the Harley seat suggestions will raise you up even more - it's the nature of the touring frame - they make cut down frame/seat kits but they are pricey

Old 05-05-2015 | 02:48 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

My Corbin is lower than stock.

Old 05-05-2015 | 02:48 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

****disclaimer**** i didnt read all the posts so i may be saying the same thing that others said....if so IM SORRY

i test rode a street glide and chose not to buy one for the exact same reason you stated. i felt like i was riding on top of the bike instead of in it. i do have an ultra....i know to a lot of people its a "geezer glide" but i am almost 50 so "geezer" is getting closer. i also have a cvo electraglide from 04. this one has the stock seat but in 04 i had the orange and black cvo. this is baisically the bike that the street glide replaced. i put a sundowner seat on that bike and rode all through colorado, new mexico, arizona and nevada with my wife on the back. i would recomend looking into the sundowner and your back rest will fit with it....just my $0.02

Old 05-05-2015 | 02:51 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain

My wife loves the Harley Hammock with passenger footboards. We demoed the seat before it even left the shop. As soon as she sat on it the discussion was over. Premium shocks came stock on our SGS. They're a little stiff, but they're highly adjustable so we just kept experimenting until we found the sweet spot. Our comfort level is vastly improved, but we moved up from a Dyna, not a Softie.

Quick Reply: Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail