Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015 | 07:25 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Some thoughts after about 45 minutes seat time:

I should set this up.. most people dont realize that when people comment on products that circumstances are critical to the comments..

1.) Im 180 lbs.. kind of a skinny f&cker.
2.) I live in a state with low taxes and our roads are near third world quality.
3.) Most of my seat time in this new to me bike has been 2 up.

I went solo last night.. shocks were set to full soft. I noticed that bumps that normally Id feel were non existent. At the same time, there were still larger bumps that in my opinion should have been absorbed. Im hoping as these shocks "break in" those bumps begin to vanish as well. Also, Im guessing 2 up those bumps may have been absorbed because most messages I read say that when new these shocks are "hard' when riding solo.

I noticed at very low speeds the damping was too stiff.. most bumps at under 20 mph seems to be pretty harsh. I hope this goes away because its disruptive when maneuvering low speeds.

I definitely felt less fatigue in my back end and Im thinking my thoughts here are not based on the fact that just dropped $650 into 2 silly shocks..

Im also thinking my break in time will be substantially less than Progressives "300-400 miles" statement because the roads I ride on in SC are terrible.. I mean terrible..

I cant say Id spend the money again until I ride 2 up and evaluate.

I'll do my best to report back.

Old 05-15-2015 | 09:25 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

I don't think they make an aftermarket shock that doesn't require a 400-500 mile break in period? All the shocks I've owned have (progessive, Ohlins, Harley hand adjustable).

Most of the shocks threads I've read where the owner is not happy normally all have a common issue between those owners, the weigh less than 200lbs!

Hopefully you get your new ones broken in and enjoy your new ride, they really are great bikes! Traded my softail in 2010 for my SG and would never go back.

Last edited by hd_rolling; 05-15-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-15-2015 | 09:31 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I don't think they make an aftermarket shock that doesn't require a 400-500 mile break in period? All the shocks I've owned have (progessive, Ohlins, Harley hand adjustable).

Most of the shocks threads I've read where the owner is not happy normally all have a common issue between those owners, the weigh less than 200lbs!

Hopefully you get your new ones broken in and enjoy your new ride, they really are great bikes! Traded my softail in 2010 for my SG and would never go back.
Since I ride mostly 2 up and I dont date, umm large women, I'll probably be in good shape

Old 05-15-2015 | 09:42 AM
v dude
Intermediate

I was un happy too,So was I, sold my street glide and went back with to a slim. Rode it for 1 year,then I knew I made a mistake, and went back to a street glide.. Live and learn.
Been riding since I was 7 yrs old. 56 now, should as know better..

Old 05-15-2015 | 09:44 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by v dude
I was un happy too,So was I, sold my street glide and went back with to a slim. Rode it for 1 year,then I knew I made a mistake, and went back to a street glide.. Live and learn.
Been riding since I was 7 yrs old. 56 now, should as know better..
One of the best parts of getting old (Im now, gulp, 50).. is learning all those lessons..

Old 05-15-2015 | 09:50 AM
v dude
Intermediate

I know you will be happier, once you get the bike set up.
I was.
Seems like I was buying a new bike every 1 to 2 years.
Happy with the street glide..
Just me tho...

Old 05-15-2015 | 09:56 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by v dude
I know you will be happier, once you get the bike set up.
I was.
Seems like I was buying a new bike every 1 to 2 years.
Happy with the street glide..
Just me tho...
I think i will be. Here is a pic of the bike on my ride last night.. looks a little higher than stock in the rear to me.. should settle down.

Old 05-15-2015 | 10:50 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by barchetta
Since I ride mostly 2 up and I dont date, umm large women, I'll probably be in good shape
You could also try eating a cheeseburger from time to time, works for me!

Old 06-02-2015 | 09:43 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

So after putting about 6-700 miles on these shocks, both 1 up and 2 Im going to give you my review.. recall that I weigh 180 and my passenger around 110-20.. (she wont say of course). Also recall that I went with the standard spring... and happy I did.. the heavy duty would have really been harsh.

I spend most of my time adjusting the preload for 2 up.. my goal: soft as possible without bottoming out on the big bumps. With both of us on this wound up being the 3rd ring from the top and we would bottom out on really bad bumps.

My analysis.. for $630 Im let down. The shocks seem to suck up the bumps pretty well at high speed but anything below say 35 MPH these shocks are horrible. railroad tracks are killer for example.. I think the damping is way too hard at low speeds and somehow they need some sort of dual stage damping.

Lastly, recall I live in a state with very poorly maintained roads with many bumps and pot holes. Which would explain why some people are happy with these shocks who live in tax hungry states.

I also purchased a used mustang seat and I am very happy.. no more butt issues.. I can ride for hours..

Long term, I plan to sell these shocks and go with something like this:

http://street.pro-action.com/features

Im told this shock in particular sucks up both low speed and high speed bumps.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 06-02-2015 | 09:56 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

The way these new frames (2009 & up) are engineered, there is very limited travel allowed. Two inches at most. This has been a big sore point for me because if you are going to be in the business of making long distance touring bikes, why do you persist in having such limited travel on the rear shocks. I don't see how having after market rear shocks is going to change much of anything. Two inches travel is still two inches travel.

Quick Reply: Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail