Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015 | 11:14 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by fat daddy
i understand perfectly I'm happy with my bike and your not. In post 86 you talk about it's inevitable that you miss the "in" to much .if I were as unhappy with something as you are id be looking at getting rid of it.
Well ain't you cool.

As I stated there are MANY reasons I moved to a touring bike.. so Im willing to spend a little to adjust it to my liking..

Few examples:

6 gallon tank

floorboards that dont drag on the ground constantly (remember my softail was raised all the way)

Stereo controls on handlebars (this was a biggy for me)

Cosmetic reasons (I dont like how a batwing sits on a softail..it sits too high).

I dont like how the floorboards vibrate at high frequency on the freeway and when Im running thru the gears hard.. the SG vibrates but at a lower frequency thats more acceptable.

The there were some need to trade in factors.. I felt like things were getting weird with the transmission and the valve train was loud.

I could go on and on but not sure why..

Bottom line.. in the bike is not a huge deal.. but I will likely, once its sorted pull the trigger when I have reserves on a seat lowering kit..

Old 05-13-2015 | 01:05 PM
fat daddy
Road Master

You will definitely like the drop seat kit. They are pretty pricey but start looking and a used one will come up. I got a smokin deal on my I got 2 seats 2 sets of side covers and the abs manifold for $800.00 . You will probably still want to dump the air shocks their not worth a damn. I also had my seats reworked one for touring with the ol and one for local riding. Should you do go with the drop seat kit and you can turn a wrench do the work yourself saves a ton of money. Good luck

Old 05-13-2015 | 01:32 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain

Here is stock street glide seat from a 2012 that was reworked by http://www.astechseat.com/ and it's great that I bought off ebay when a guy sold his bike. This thing was lowered 1" and the pocket moved back an inch then narrowed a little bit. The passenger section was widened and flattened out to remove that rearward slope on the stock seat. This company uses column buckling gel inserts and a combination of thin layers of memory foam that work fantastic. The seat cover is leather with some custom stitching that really sets it apart from other seat. I love and highly recommend them.

Attached Thumbnails Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail-rk-seat3.jpg   Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail-rk-seat2.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015 | 04:47 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by barchetta
yeah, its inevitable. I miss the "in" too much...
You will get over that, I promise.

I came from a Heritage with a DEEP Leathermen Explorer.

Now my Corbin also feels deep, and I actually like the seating position better.

Old 05-13-2015 | 08:49 PM
WillSin865
Advanced
Default Heritage to Street Glide

I too made the switch from a softail to a tourer. I also thought I made a huge mistake and wanted to go back. I've had my seat narrowed by Mean City Cycles, a much needed improvement which I absolutely love, new 12 inch bars, and after almost 8000 miles, I LOVE it. I'm still adjusting the air in my shocks, but even those have gotten better with the miles. I had to take my husbands Heritage to get gas, and I couldn't believe that I really couldn't wait to get back on my Street Glide. So I'd say just give it some miles, make the adjustments as needed and I think you'll grow to love it as well.

Old 05-14-2015 | 08:17 AM
MadIrish
Tourer

Because Im a firm believer in fixing the core of the problem before moving on.

Since your OP began with a complaint about the seat and ended with discussion of the seat, I think it is a pretty fair assumption that the seat IS a core factor in your unhappiness. You also complained about the suspension, yes.

Since the seat is a major point of contact between you and your bike and affects your comfort and satisfaction with the ride (and, coincidentally, is one of the simplest things to alter on your bike - abeit not cheaply) as well as transmits all those bumps and lumps from the road to yer **** and spine, I'd say it behooves you to do some very simple troubleshooting and at least wander down to your local dealership and try one of their loaner seats....a sundowner or a hammock or both...and see if, with a recommended air pressure in the shocks for your weight range, a difference is felt.

Unfortunately, both of those seats will sit you higher on the bike and go against your urge to sit "in" the bike. If one of them makes you happy, the next step is the seat lowering kit. If none of them makes you happy, go ahead and replace the shocks...a more costly, time consuming troubleshooting option.

If the shocks get you there...then adding the seat lowering kit and whatever seat you like would be the next option.

Like you, I always did prefer the "sit in" feeling of the Softails, it took some getting used to on the RK.

That's just how I'd work through it. YMMV.

Speaking of the YMMV...."the maybe you should get an SG" comment was a joke that demonstrates it....the guy in the thread you posted said that he thought an SG seat was better than his Ultra seat.

Good luck, I hope you get where you want to be quickly!

Old 05-14-2015 | 09:16 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Installed the 944 shocks last night, standard springs. took me 35 minutes. Went for a short solo ride.. I need more time to make any determination.

Will report back after I get some seat time..

By the way my SG seat was modified.. foam on pan and memory foam on top and was reshaped.. narrower in front and the rear was shaped like a mustang touring seat.

I will say this.. I only got 1/2" of sag on the softest setting and should have at least 1" so Im gonna call them and discuss.

Originally Posted by MadIrish
Since your OP began with a complaint about the seat and ended with discussion of the seat, I think it is a pretty fair assumption that the seat IS a core factor in your unhappiness. You also complained about the suspension, yes.

Since the seat is a major point of contact between you and your bike and affects your comfort and satisfaction with the ride (and, coincidentally, is one of the simplest things to alter on your bike - abeit not cheaply) as well as transmits all those bumps and lumps from the road to yer **** and spine, I'd say it behooves you to do some very simple troubleshooting and at least wander down to your local dealership and try one of their loaner seats....a sundowner or a hammock or both...and see if, with a recommended air pressure in the shocks for your weight range, a difference is felt.

Unfortunately, both of those seats will sit you higher on the bike and go against your urge to sit "in" the bike. If one of them makes you happy, the next step is the seat lowering kit. If none of them makes you happy, go ahead and replace the shocks...a more costly, time consuming troubleshooting option.

If the shocks get you there...then adding the seat lowering kit and whatever seat you like would be the next option.

Like you, I always did prefer the "sit in" feeling of the Softails, it took some getting used to on the RK.

That's just how I'd work through it. YMMV.

Speaking of the YMMV...."the maybe you should get an SG" comment was a joke that demonstrates it....the guy in the thread you posted said that he thought an SG seat was better than his Ultra seat.

Good luck, I hope you get where you want to be quickly!

Old 05-14-2015 | 11:21 AM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Update: spoke to progressive and they said its 300-400 miles break in period and then the sag will be able to be set.. the ride will be rough at first.

I would think that for $600 for two shocks they'd run these in on a machine.

Old 05-14-2015 | 03:24 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

Installed the 944 shocks last night, standard springs. took me 35 minutes. Went for a short solo ride.. I need more time to make any determination.

Will report back after I get some seat time..

By the way my SG seat was modified.. foam on pan and memory foam on top and was reshaped.. narrower in front and the rear was shaped like a mustang touring seat.

I will say this.. I only got 1/2" of sag on the softest setting and should have at least 1" so Im gonna call them and discuss.
Post #70

I spoke with Progressive last thursday.
3/4" of sag, not 1"
With bike loaded for sag the shock should measure 11 1/2" eye to eye.

Old 05-14-2015 | 03:50 PM
barchetta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
Post #70

I spoke with Progressive last thursday.
3/4" of sag, not 1"
With bike loaded for sag the shock should measure 11 1/2" eye to eye.
Yeah good catch, I was mistaken, they told me 3/4 as well..

Quick Reply: Somewhat unhappy moving from a softail