Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat less or header

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Cat less or header

How much more increase is there with true dual headers over stock decatted pipes. I know the headers sound better but would like to know the real benefits of headers over stock pipes.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

What other supporting mods do you have?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Decatting your stock pipes can allow your 02 sensors to cross talk, they're awfully close to one-another..
Any engineered headpipe system will not allow that to happen, be it 2-1, 2-1-2, or true duals.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:47 PM
ScottyD1
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

save the $$, just decatt the stock headpipe

Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyD1
save the $$, just decatt the stock headpipe
This is what some say and believe. I currently use a 2-1 pro pipe and was thinking of going with a set of slip ons and was wondering if it would be beneficial to go with the headers or just decat. If there is a noticeable power increase with headers or is it one of those things where you can't tell between the stock exhaust.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:30 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dirty little not so well kept secret, the OEMs have been making pretty good head pipes for quite awhile.I know with sport bikes you only get a couple or three ponies with a full system vs a slip-on.The choice was easy for me I didn't have the cash for a header but I know 2 into 1s make better torque than just about any other type of header for these bikes, so I'm running a totally gutted 2010 Street Glide header does it make as much power as a Thunderheader/Dragula/Fat Cat/whatever?, of course not but it sounds good (and doesn't cost a 1000$) and I'm happy with it. I say gut your stock header if you don't like it you can sell it in the forum classifieds and spend the money on a full system.But if your not going to get a 2 into 1 you're probably only going to get an extra 2 hp switching the header.And don't let anybody "cross talk" you out of it.If cross talk was a major issue you'ld see countless threads about how terrible someones bike runs after gutting thier cat.So far I've seen 1 and it turned out the guy had screwed in his O2 sensors to the wrong pipes once that was resolved it was fine.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

2011 Limited Ultra here. I did Vance & Hines Power Duals, just to get rid of that unbearable heat, but I could tell that I had more get-up-and-go after I had them put on.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:08 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
...And don't let anybody "cross talk" you out of it.If cross talk was a major issue you'ld see countless threads about how terrible someones bike runs after gutting thier cat...
Does it produce MAJOR problems? Probably not but it can and DOES cause issues with some tunes in some areas of the map.

There are plenty examples of those that ride on tires with low pressure, motors with bad O2 sensors, and timing problems written off as just being normal.

Just because someone is unable to distinguish a subtle problem by riding down the road or read a dyno test run (hence all the rage with auto-tune systems these days) doesn't mean it's not happening.

Hey, if a rider is happy with mediocre, so be it...

Old 05-05-2015, 06:27 AM
mhcruiser
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.americancustom.com

I did the poweflex header for 234. Installed it myself. Had a local tech plug in my se tuner and do a little work on it. No more heat. Runs great. A bit louder and deeper. Totally happy. Spent a total of 280 with the tune and an hour or so installing.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 AM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm with the o.p. on this. Trying to decide.......would like to remove cat and be done. I'm not here for the bling factor or max effort.

What is the real world trade off between the stock head pipe and a good aftermarket pipe.

$500. And two h/p doesn't sound like a good trade to me? What am I missing?

Going to do a t man555. Pretty basic.....

Last edited by jt metal; 05-05-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Cat less or header