Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Lowdown Vintage solo 76078

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:38 AM
shoboat90
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mustang Lowdown Vintage solo 76078

Anyone running this seat yet? If so, i'd love to get some feedback. I've recently sent back the Widetripper because although I loved the look and seating position, just wasn't that comfortable for me. Now I just got the Vintage Solo and although I love the comfort, the seating position sucks...it raises me up quite a bit. So now I'm intrigued about this Lowdown Vintage solo....any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Hi all, any updates to this thread?

I have a 2013 Road Glide Custom and bought the Mustang Super Tourer Solo seat after a Mustang rep suggested it would suit my 6'1" height by placing me back just a little, moreso than the vintage solo seat.

It has placed me back but a little more than ideal as I have had to move my handlebars through the risers to get them closer to me and my arms are now straightened to reach the bars which is not good. The super solo tourer seat also puts me up an inch or two compared to the oem seat. I feel like I'm sitting on the bike rather than in the bike, and worse still, now my 15 inch Cee Baileys euro windscreen is too low! So the super tourer solo seat places you back and up by 1-2 inches!

I'm looking into replacing the super solo seat with either Mustang's normal vintage tourer solo seat (what I intended to get before advice from Mustang) which should bring me forward back to the oem position for reaching the bars, but I'm concerned I will still be sitting up too high.

So also looking at Mustang's lowdown solo seat but concerned that whilst it will bring me down to oem height or lower (hopefully not too much lower) but a lot of low seats are designed for shorter people and at 6'1" I'm not short and don't want this seat sitting me up closer to the tank than the oem seat.

Hopefully Mustang can provide some good advice to my latest questions. I am only in this predicament due to them suggesting the super solo on account of my height when I was initially going to use their standard vintage solo. When I initially asked Mustang about the height of these seats, they didn't even answer the question, which in hindsight, I should have followed up on.

These seats are expensive too.

Appreciate any feedback.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 AM
druski
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm running it now, just got it about two weeks ago.

Same issue for me, I originally bought the Vintage Solo with backrest and it raised me up too much. Changed the angle of my arms to the bars and I was uncomfortable, too bad cause the seat was super comfortable.

I was up at Americade a couple of weekends ago and visited the Mustang booth, ended up buying the Low Down Vintage Solo with backrest (part # 79910). The seating position is definitely better than the regular vintage solo. it still does raise you up slightly, but did not change my arm position to the bars. I have done a couple of half day rides on it so far and it seems to be working very well for comfort. I will say that the backrest has probably made the biggest difference, as for the seat itself it is very comfortable and I no longer get pain in my tailbone.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Harley changed the seats on the newer bikes and made them lower. That is the case at least for the Road kings. On my 09 and 10 the solo dropped you slightly and moved you back like their web site states but on the my 16 the seat raised me up and back. I welcomed the extra room but some may not. Mustang should update their web site descriptions.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Mustang Seats
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
Harley changed the seats on the newer bikes and made them lower. That is the case at least for the Road kings. On my 09 and 10 the solo dropped you slightly and moved you back like their web site states but on the my 16 the seat raised me up and back. I welcomed the extra room but some may not. Mustang should update their web site descriptions.
We just had a meeting where we discussed this exact issue. The variety of FL Touring stock seats offer a nearly indecipherable array of possible comparison points. Down the road, we plan to offer comparisons based on fixed points that won't change from bike to bike. That won't happen quickly, as there are a lot of data points to collect even doing it that way, but look out for that in the future.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain

Druski, Thanks for your feedback.

Can I ask what year and model bike do you have, and how tall are you?

Do you reckon the lowdown seat places you any closer to the tank than the vintage solo and oem seat?

Originally Posted by druski
I'm running it now, just got it about two weeks ago.

Same issue for me, I originally bought the Vintage Solo with backrest and it raised me up too much. Changed the angle of my arms to the bars and I was uncomfortable, too bad cause the seat was super comfortable.

I was up at Americade a couple of weekends ago and visited the Mustang booth, ended up buying the Low Down Vintage Solo with backrest (part # 79910). The seating position is definitely better than the regular vintage solo. it still does raise you up slightly, but did not change my arm position to the bars. I have done a couple of half day rides on it so far and it seems to be working very well for comfort. I will say that the backrest has probably made the biggest difference, as for the seat itself it is very comfortable and I no longer get pain in my tailbone.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain

Mustang and Todd,

Thanks to both for your feedback.
I appreciate the difficulty when harley make four different touring models some of which have different oem seats and when the touring frame had a change for 2009 among other changes that sometimes occur in a model's life cycle.

However as Todd said if this issue is known, it should really be communicated in the product description. For example, "this seat may increase your seat height 1-2 inches on some touring models". It could then link to further, specific info.

I love mustang seats and this is my fourth one (I've bought them for previous rides) but Im disappointed that this latest seat purchase (and shipped to me overseas) puts me in a different seating position which was not desired by me when I bought the seat.

Originally Posted by Mustang Seats
We just had a meeting where we discussed this exact issue. The variety of FL Touring stock seats offer a nearly indecipherable array of possible comparison points. Down the road, we plan to offer comparisons based on fixed points that won't change from bike to bike. That won't happen quickly, as there are a lot of data points to collect even doing it that way, but look out for that in the future.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Mustang Seats
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Arseclown
Mustang and Todd,

Thanks to both for your feedback.
I appreciate the difficulty when harley make four different touring models some of which have different oem seats and when the touring frame had a change for 2009 among other changes that sometimes occur in a model's life cycle.

However as Todd said if this issue is known, it should really be communicated in the product description. For example, "this seat may increase your seat height 1-2 inches on some touring models". It could then link to further, specific info.

I love mustang seats and this is my fourth one (I've bought them for previous rides) but Im disappointed that this latest seat purchase (and shipped to me overseas) puts me in a different seating position which was not desired by me when I bought the seat.
We are always looking for ways to improve our product information. Thanks for your feedback!

Old 06-22-2016, 02:08 PM
druski
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Arseclown
Druski, Thanks for your feedback.

Can I ask what year and model bike do you have, and how tall are you?

Do you reckon the lowdown seat places you any closer to the tank than the vintage solo and oem seat?
My bike is a 2014 Street Glide and I'm 5' 9".

The lowdown seat may have moved me 1" closer to the tank when comparted to the stock street glide seat...but it isn't anything noticeable

Old 06-22-2016, 08:21 PM
Roomer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is off topic but I just wanted to share. I recently swapped out a wide tripper solo for a super tour solo. I have an extended trip coming up and wanted the comfort. Anyway, I found this seat to be just about perfect for me as my bike is configured. I am 5'7" with 30" inseam. My bike is a 2010 FLHX with 13" apes and duration ergo bars. I can still flat foot at stops, and the bike now feels tailored to me. I am sitting a bit higher than with the tripper, maybe 1-2".