Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just couldn't do it

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:16 PM
user 8382390
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I just couldn't do it

Went to the dealer yesterday. Had it in mind to trade in my 09 street glide with 30k on her. Fell in heat with a wide glide there. They just wouldn't offer enough on the trade or come off of the price or shipping and prep. My cost would have been 5k out the door giving me 11800 for my trade. I love the SG too much to part with her and give 5 grand away. I did my homework going in and was prepared to part with up to 4k. They initially tried to low ball me at 9600 for my trade telling me they send all used bikes to auction after 60 days on the floor. When I told him thanks for his time and got up he quickly began to negotiate. Just couldn't get to my number. I originally wanted to scale back with something a little lighter and more back to basics but the SG is a comfortable ride with plenty of storage for geezer stuff. I know I could easily sell her on my own for more but in reality they convinced me to keep her now because they got greedy. I had time to separate want from need. I began to look at what I was getting for what I would give up. All loss of storage, no cruise control, no running board room, no break from the wind or bugs, just a new bike with less features and only 150 lbs lighter. Be nice to have a new WG but a paid for SG with a lot of life left in her was worth more to me than them. Hope she forgives me for almost parting with her.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:22 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Sounds to me like you're not ready yet, $1K isn't that far apart. If you're really ready try other dealers, someone will make you happy...good luck!

Old 04-30-2015, 03:22 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I hear ya. Been turned off myself before as well because of low ball trade offers.

Now, just save a few bucks and put it with that $4k and find you a used Dyna and keep both bikes! In my area early 00 bikes are going as low as 5k. Find a fixer upper and drive a classic bike w character. You can fix it up and customize over time and you won't feel feel like the dealer ran over you.

I have an 02 Wide Glide that is one of my favorites.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:27 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Samething happened me Yesterday. Only because I was curious.... not buying anytime soon.

09 SG with 19k on her. They offered 12,200 for trade and 1000 bucks off of a leftover 2014 Ultra Limited.
They would not budge on the 1000. The bike is going on something like 18 months old or something. 6 months old minimum.
I figured they would play ball, maybe 2-3K off? Nope.

Then they hit me with 14.99 apr through Eaglemark... I woke up fast. lol

Obviously I have horrible credit. You'd have to ask my exwife why.

Last edited by lp; 04-30-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you know what she's worth to you....

Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Widm118
Hope she forgives me for almost parting with her.
Might be time for another bell. I might save up some and see what happens come August. As mentioned before, might be able to afford both.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:37 PM
VineRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2000 Wide Glide and traded in 2003 for an anniversary Ultra Classic. I've been on touring bikes ever since. I think you'd regret going from a touring bike to a Wide Glide as your only bike. Having one as a second bike would be ok, but as your primary ride, I think you'd miss that SG more than you realize.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:41 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by tully_mars
I hear ya. Been turned off myself before as well because of low ball trade offers.

Now, just save a few bucks and put it with that $4k and find you a used Dyna and keep both bikes! In my area early 00 bikes are going as low as 5k. Find a fixer upper and drive a classic bike w character. You can fix it up and customize over time and you won't feel feel like the dealer ran over you.

I have an 02 Wide Glide that is one of my favorites.
Yep, I sold my 09 SG last year and bought a 99 Softail and 09 RK with that money. I love that SG, but wanted something a little different and more comfortable for my wife.

I'm not saying you sell the SG, but get a little older second bike. While the Softail is a lot of fun, it is not an all day ride bike like the touring bikes.

Beary

Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Went to the dealer yesterday. Had it in mind to trade in my 09 street glide with 30k on her. Fell in heat with a wide glide there. They just wouldn't offer enough on the trade or come off of the price or shipping and prep. My cost would have been 5k out the door giving me 11800 for my trade. I love the SG too much to part with her and give 5 grand away. I did my homework going in and was prepared to part with up to 4k. They initially tried to low ball me at 9600 for my trade telling me they send all used bikes to auction after 60 days on the floor. When I told him thanks for his time and got up he quickly began to negotiate. Just couldn't get to my number. I originally wanted to scale back with something a little lighter and more back to basics but the SG is a comfortable ride with plenty of storage for geezer stuff. I know I could easily sell her on my own for more but in reality they convinced me to keep her now because they got greedy. I had time to separate want from need. I began to look at what I was getting for what I would give up. All loss of storage, no cruise control, no running board room, no break from the wind or bugs, just a new bike with less features and only 150 lbs lighter. Be nice to have a new WG but a paid for SG with a lot of life left in her was worth more to me than them. Hope she forgives me for almost parting with her.
My strategy that has been working wonders for my bikes and bank account has been to do some sweet upgrade every year, sometimes big, sometimes small, but something nice to the bike to make it "new to me" again.

This year I did the 107" Big Bore kit. Yahoo! A whole new bike with a new bad *** motor.. for less than that "out the door" money your dealer was talking.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Treat her to a fresh oil change and then take her out for a full tank of premium gasoline on Saturday night. That should make her feel better.
For what its worth, I think you made an informed decision about trading.

Quick Reply: I just couldn't do it