Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMR 107" kit is shipped, tear down May 18th

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Candy Red Road Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help with an engine build/design 103" or what???

Looking foward to the results...might be something i am interested if the ole MOCO lets me down on a SERG in 08.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:08 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Couldn't you just add a dummy pipe on the left side to 'balance ' out the 2-1? I have seen them, but have no idea where to buy one? That would be the only way I could see doing a 2-1 pipe, Any thoughts on the dummy pipe?

I can't wait to watch this build take place. Once I have finances better off, a build will be on the horizon. Anyone got an extra $7k to help a brother out on a build?

Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

This isn't getting a bit scary. I've been down this fun yet expensive road before and I can feel the yearning coming on again! I worked with Steve to do a 95" build a few years ago to get to 10-1 CR, Woods Cams, Roller Rockers, Thunderheader. I did use SE Heads however. I ended up with a nice streetable 98 HP 105 ft/lb torque build and now I want to do it again!! I want to go big this time. Just last night I was really wringing out the Streetglide and while still brisk and fun, I can tell when I reach that point of needing more. Looks like something is stirring here...I'll be watching your build with great interest.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:52 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK,

Picked up the new bike today (Black Cherry Glide) and all I can say is WOW! I haven't ridden a bagger since my old room mate bought an 80th anniversary bike 25 years ago. I've been riding gixxers and sportsters since that time andIhave to say that I amtotally impressed with the way this thing rides. I put50 miles on her this afternoon just cruising around the city and getting things broken in, and one short 50 mile highway cruise out to one of my favorite hangouts. I ran it through the gears andvaried revs between 1800/3000 rpm and heat cycled it a few times today. I am so impressed with the way this thing rides, andwill get back on it tomorrow.

I can't wait to get the go fast parts on her, and I will add some pictures to the site tomorrow.Now i'm gonna go back out to the garage and stare at this thing for a while, and decide what other bling bling parts to add. I love it! I just f***in love it! My days of sporties are sooooooo done now! Did I mention i loved having tunes? lmao

Old 05-17-2007, 12:52 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMR parts are enroute and the bike will now go under the knife. I'll post whatever pics I can and will update everyone as the bike emerges from post op. Should be a fun ride in a week or two, just hate the fact that I gotta do the break in all over again. Oh well, there could be worse things! lol

Old 05-17-2007, 01:55 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

Good luck. Can't wait to hear how it all comes out. I'm sure you'll be grinning.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Rider57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GlideMan
OK,

Today I decided that I'm going to have my new bike (Street Glide)built up a bit before bringingit home. I have the Thundermax ECM w/ Auto Tune, a Wimmer intake, and R/H true duals which are all waiting to go on, and need something morefor some added ponies. I don't wanna split the cases at this time and think I would be just as happy with a bolt on kit provided it's got the right stuff in it.

I am consideringbolt onjugs, forged dome pistons,a good set of CNC portedheads, decent cams around 550" to 575" lift w/ duration that will make good mid range power, a clutch kit, and whatever else is needed to accomplish the right build. I'd like to keep it street wise and achieve around 105+ HP andTQ in the 110+ range. I'm hoping to use the stock rockers and lifters and would think that the newer heads would have enough spring pressure and valve sizeto support the above cams with bigger pistons. I know some of the newer castings are prepped to accept ahi-flo manifolds and enlarged throttle bodies, but in reality, i'm hoping I don't have to go that far to achieve decent horsepower from this bike.

What kind of budget am I looking at to put together a nice 103" to 107" kit, and what parts would those with experience suggest? I am open to most any ideas, but want a build that really works. Any help on the build is appreciated and Iam open to real world suggestions from gearheads with experience. Some early thoughts for this build include;

103" jugs versus 107" or whatothers ?
SE Forged Domes versus CP Forged or whatothers ?
Red Shift 577 Cams vs Andrews 67G Gear Drive Camsor whatothers ?
GMR vs HQvs NRHS CNC PortedHeads? (what are the best bang for the $$$)

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance on the subject.

Graeme
I did the 107 kit from Axtell. I upgraded to gear drive cams (Woods 408B) and asked for 10.5 comp pistons. The total on the road price ran me $4300. This is on a 2007 FLHR. It also came with a flash for the ecu made with TechnoReseach.