Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE help! Front end movement

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 PM
m_mcdonnell314
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PLEASE help! Front end movement

Hi everyone, I have been battling a front end wobble or oscillation for a while now. I have read up extensively about it but still I am not 100% happy with the results. Here's some back ground: 2001 Road king classic, starts to get movement/wobble/vibration at around 75 mph. I have changed the wheel bearings, adjusted the steering head bearings, re balanced tire, checked rotors, etc. ,and I have a steering stabalizer. All of these things helped out pretty well but I still feel it a little and it really is bothering me. I'm starting to second guess if I went to loose on the neck adjustment because it was pretty loose to begin with. Does anyone have any other ideas? I know the bearing end play is already pre set with the sealed bearings, but should I check that for the hell of it and shim if needed? Thanks in advance

Old 04-29-2015, 07:20 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Does it happen on decel? Did you set the fall away correctly? At steady speed it Could be a wheel or balance issue, sure thats correct? On an 01 the wheel can be worn out. Hard to tell from this end of a computer. But if the fall aways correct, maybe try something like ride on or dyna beads.
It could be a defective tire, just throwing out some ideas to think about.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 PM
m_mcdonnell314
Advanced

I have a 21 inch fat spoke wheel on it, can't remember if it wobbled before since it's been a while. I had the rim and tire balanced and Harley so it should be correct. How do you check the fall away?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:29 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What Bagman said I put a new set of tires on a couple years ago and had the same problem I did all of what you said and more engine alignment changed swing arm bushings to find out it was the new front tire. Then I installed a CCCE top tree and wow she goes straight and true like never before in the worst of conditions. Good luck to you its a process of elimination for you. Check the obvious first tire pressure and so on.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:30 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

With the bike on a jack, i think with clutch cable disconnected turn the fork to a stop and let go. Its supposed to go back and forth over center about 1-1/2 times. Dont have the book in front of me but is your wheel true? You never said if it was on decel or at speed

Old 04-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by m_mcdonnell314
Hi everyone, I have been battling a front end wobble or oscillation for a while now. I have read up extensively about it but still I am not 100% happy with the results. Here's some back ground: 2001 Road king classic, starts to get movement/wobble/vibration at around 75 mph. I have changed the wheel bearings, adjusted the steering head bearings, re balanced tire, checked rotors, etc. ,and I have a steering stabalizer. All of these things helped out pretty well but I still feel it a little and it really is bothering me. I'm starting to second guess if I went to loose on the neck adjustment because it was pretty loose to begin with. Does anyone have any other ideas? I know the bearing end play is already pre set with the sealed bearings, but should I check that for the hell of it and shim if needed? Thanks in advance
I went through much of what you mentioned above but not all.
After my 106 build my bike would go into a high speed wobble in sweepers, pulling power changing lanes etc. Installing true track made it all stop.
No more wobble.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:38 PM
m_mcdonnell314
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the input and yes it does do it on decel only at slower speeds. Don't have the cash right now for the cce, I would love to get one. I'm going to check the steering neck adjustment again

Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 PM
m_mcdonnell314
Advanced

What a system like the true track stabalizer work for my case because it's a front end wobble?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by m_mcdonnell314
Thanks everyone for the input and yes it does do it on decel only at slower speeds. Don't have the cash right now for the cce, I would love to get one. I'm going to check the steering neck adjustment again
Yep, I would guess the neck bearings. Same problem on my friends 00 Road King. I cured the problem by adjusting the bearings. I always go a little tighter than the manual would suggest.

Rick

Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 PM
m_mcdonnell314
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I believe I might have went a little too loose because I was scared about over tightening from reading the manual

Quick Reply: PLEASE help! Front end movement