Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on lowering SG

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Miklnparker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on lowering SG

OK, so I've read the other posts and would appreciate some input on lowering my 07 SG.
Just received my chrome fork legs from Chromepros. I'm happy with Chromepros quality but more importantly their customer service.
I figure since I need to remove fork springs I may as well install some Harley lowering springs while I've got it apart. Of course someone told me
I should go with a Racetech spring kit for a really great ride. So I'm still struggling with that option also. What I'm wondering is....
Should I install the Harley lowering spring kit by itself or order the Solow kit for the rear and install at the same time? Eventually I want
to run the Legends rear air suspension but I figure maybe next Summer. Or do I leave well enough alone and just leave in the
stock fork springs and just change out my fork legs. I just want the best stance but at the same time don't want to worry about bottoming, etc.
Thanks in advance

Old 04-25-2007, 02:05 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Advice on lowering SG

I've run many miles without lowering my bike.
I've had White Brothers lowering kits front and rear on a 90 Electra Glide Sport.
I've got HD lowering kits front and rear on my 03 Ultra.

Truth is, no matter what you do to your suspensionthere will be folks that will envy you, hate you and agree that your choice is best. But be clear on one thing, when your out for a putt and yousee a pothole, do everything in your power to miss it.Then you will begin to redefine what constitutes a pothole.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 AM
apachethunder03
Cruiser

Not sure if you are going to lower the front only and ride like that. But the HD Co says to lower the back at the same time. Do not lower the front only. Possibly for handling conditions. Check into it before you proceed. Wouldn't want you torun intoany problems.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:44 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

MOCO? They have lowered the rear from the factory. So they kinda contradict their own advice! Lowering the front by an inch will tighten your ride up nice....Should improve the handling....

Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Lowering a bike will not improve handling.(Notice how you never see a track race bike lowered?) It will improve your chances of dragging the ground that much sooner. Sure, better springs will improve handling, but just the act of lowering it will. Tighten up your ride? If you mean make it rougher, then yes, it will do that.

A buddy and I lowered his Road King 2 inches. Sure, it looked good. However, it would drag easily in turns. The frame crossmember had a nasty habit of snagging the ground anytime you entered a parking lot with a raise of more than about 3 inches. He all but ground the lips off the crossmember of that bike before he unloaded it on somebody else.

With all that said. I would not hesitate to lower the front on a SG to match the back.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Miklnparker
Cruiser

With all the advice, I'm leaning towards installing the Harley fork lowering springs. Now I'm thinking I should use a flush mount axle kit.. Does it ever end???

Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

The SG comes with the lower rear shocks from the factory, if you lower the front @1" you will bring back the level on the bike. Through long sweeping turns the stock setup adds to wobble. If you lower it will HANDLE better. The point I was trying to make is that the MOCO says to not lower one with out lowering the other and yet they sell a model just that way?

I think in my first post I should have added IMO!

To each his own. I found that when I lowered my Softail first I slammed it then I put the front back up due to way hard ride. When I did this the geometry was off and I had a nasty shimmy in long sweeping turns. I fixed this by bringing the back up a bit and leveling it off.

I have an SG and the same thing is happening, I have a progressive kit ready to go in. I am aware that I will lose a little bit in the ride but the wobble and dive will go away. Hence tighten up. The SE line has the full lowered and the handling IMO is way better......

Sometime this forum is like a second wife? LOL!

[/align]

Old 04-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Rick 547
Tourer

I've had a 04 Road King Custom for 3 years with the same 1" lowered read shocks as the my new SG. I never lowered the front end on the Road King Custom and it never wobbled in the corners in the 19,000 plus miles I have put on it.

While riding the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee I was able to grind some medal off in a couple of turns. If it was any lower in the front I would think I would have ground off alot more.

Just my 2c.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:33 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior

Seeing as the SG is basically a RK with an Ultra front end that makes two contradictions in their line of bikes.....

I sit back a little on my bike and I weigh 340 This may have something to do with it? If you haven't tried the lowered front end maybe you should? You might find you like it?? It can always go back... SAFETY FIRST!!

Again just want to make the point they have installed their lowering product in direct contradiction with what they say never to do.......

Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Why not just use Mean City Cycles and have them re-do your seat for you. I have read that people have been able to lower the ride higth 2-inches doing it. A lot less money, and they are a sponser on the site too. Lots of people have used him, and say good things about his work.

Bob

Quick Reply: Advice on lowering SG