Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin experience less than expected

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Deckman
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased my JRI's from Howard over a year ago and had fantastic support and he always answered my calls, hell, he was helping me set my shocks while he was eating dinner and having an adult beverage! I would deal with him again without hesitation.

Last edited by Deckman; 04-30-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:00 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been in the market for new shocks, the Ohlins may be the way to go! Hell, if I'm going to spend the money, I might as well get the shocks tailored made for me...

Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 AM
My14Ultra
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow. Quite a **** storm that got kicked up over someone venting a bit. Almost as bad as the corvette forums. LOL

Old 04-30-2015, 10:15 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
You seem to have issues with everyone you deal with. I am really sorry if the world did not stop because you were in need of service. Ohlins is traditionally swamped with work at this time of the year. You know racing and such so they should stop what they were doing, take your shocks out of the long list of those shocks in front of you and just jump on your job. Were you also aware of a world wide recall of Ohlins TTX racing shocks also? Addressing your statement of one of the technicians:

I call OhlinsUSA just about everyday, go there for many reasons and know many of the technicians personally. One thing I can assure everyone here reading this post is no one at Ohlins ever "said he forced it" as that is just plain BS or at the very least a serious misunderstanding on the OP's part in listening. The part of adjusting the shock that you are talking about can not get galled unless the OP turned the compression/rebound adjuster so tight that he stripped the detentes off of the adjuster. If the technician felt that the "he forced it and was now stiff", he would have taken apart the adjuster and removed the pin for inspection, same as I would. This is what is inside of your shocks and this is how they work:

There is nothing to gall except from misusing the adjusting **** by torquing it so far tight. The adjuster **** comes off without removing the fixture on your shocks by unscrewing it and taking it out through the bottom. The sideways pin is than removed and all is checked. OP: do you see anything that remotely is the problem that you describe? Would an Ohlins service technician force it, absolutely not. I am publicly stating you are full of crap.

The only thing that could happen is the adjuster was destroyed. I do not work for Ohlins but I take lots of shocks apart as well as being a factory trained and Ohlins factory certified service center. This is what an adjuster looks like that has been destroyed by the customer.

This would be my guess and Ohlins probably just replaced the adjuster and pin and not charging the OP for the destruction you caused and write it off as good customer relations. Let me make this point absolutely clear, I did not ask Ohlins about this because I really do not care as I have no dog in the fight. I also did not see this problem in person.

Look what is there, all members that are reading this post here, use your head and think how it works. It is not magic, it is a mechanical assembly. What the OP said makes absolutely no sense.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....END......<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <

I always answer my phone, 3 Times, that is obscured, you are trying to tell me that I did not return your phone calls much less answer my phone 3 times? There are many who call me as I spend the biggest part of my day on the phone, 8am~10PM Monday through Sunday, ya, 7 days a week. Not only that I look at my phone to see if I have missed calls many, many times a day & return all missed calls. There are times when I have no reception when I go to the VA Hospital in Miami, FL. No missed calls, no reception unless I am next to a window or door.

If you would include the date of these calls, please check to see if I was at Daytona FL for Bike Week. I go to Bike Week & other rally's to support my customers. I have never come close to ever breaking even, much turning a profit, by attending them, I just go for my customers. My past customers with providing customer service long after the sale are the focus of my business model. If that was the time frame (Thursday March 5th to the 17th of March) I am sorry but I was busy attending to other peoples needs. Most of that time is spent adjusting and re-mounting shocks because the ride was not what they expected or to their liking. I use the exact same tools as what is outlined on my instructions I provide at point of sale/delivery. I have never had a person leave without being nothing less than thrilled. That is what I do, customer service.

E-mails: I am swamped at work. It takes me 2 hours to take apart every new pair of shocks I sell, inspect the parts and surfaces, put it completely back together, than put it in a box than make a label. At around 5:30pm I deliver the shocks myself to UPS or the USPO, than personally get a receipt. The people who came first in line are than serviced first. I can do only 6 pair of shocks per day. My priority is servicing my customers first than sending out invoices to new customers and not the other way around. If I can not take care of my customers who trusted me than I do not deserve new customers. Of course I am rebuilding previous customers shocks and also designing, developing, than bringing to market new products. It is 1:50am now and could not sleep so I got on this great forum. I will be up again at 4:30am to start my work day all over again. You can get much quicker service by buying a shock in the box by the many vendors or through Ohlins like you did.

wsaxton, I am truly sorry I did not live up to your expectations but I will give you an expiation. In hindsight, it really worked out for the best for me. Please do not give me the opportunity to disappoint you again by never contacting me again for anything. Yes, I still have your e-Mail & to protect you from my bad service I will black list you just in case you forget.

I think I would, if I were you, work on taking responsibility for your own actions and do not come on here whining like a little bitch that you were not at home to accept your $900 pair of shocks that Ohlins fixed for free than shipped back for free including the extra $4.50 for you to sign for the package by a person over 21. I suppose throwing them in the bushes or leaving your $900 investment on the front porch is acceptable? In being an outside observer and having no financial ties to Ohlins and who they sell their products to, but actually know what they are talking about, I am stating that you are full of crap! Look what is there and use common sense.

Lastly

I would not get mad or even care, however when our conversation was over I would have hung up. I am so swamped with work the fact that you went to Ohlins would not phase me at all. I believe that you, wsaxton, absolutely overstate your importance and position to the world. I dismiss you forever. I am thrilled for myself of my good luck.

Ouch, Howard answered every time I called or called back within minutes

Old 04-30-2015, 10:35 AM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
You have absolutely no idea what I do and how I do it. Why do you post when you have no idea what you are talking about. What is BS is a guy who posts and does not have any sort of clue.
How could anyone not know exactly what you do given the excruciating detail we are treated to everytime someone dares to air anything less than a glowing review. I've never said that you don't know what you're doing or that Ohlins are a crap product only that the OP seemed to have given each a reasonable shot and didn't deserve piling on from the huggers. The good news for both of us is that I have long ago added my name to the list of people that will not be consuming any of your time. By the way, very ironic statement to the OP about overstating importance and position to the world.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Old 04-30-2015, 11:06 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I received nothing short of exceptional service from Howard. When I ordered mine, he informed me that he was leaving for Daytona and might not be as prompt when returning calls or emails. Still, he got my order out sooner than I expected and my patience was rewarded with a great pair of shocks that I'm still in the process of 'breaking in'.
Thanks Howard - you're the man for Ohlins shocks, for sure.

OP: Your troubles are of your own making. Stop whining.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
If you made a choice to by-pass Howard and deal direct with Ohlins, then this is ON YOU! Howard would have built them to your exact specs, help you dial them in, and stand behind his work, and probably been a little cheaper in the end. Ohlins have a near flawless reputation, and are king of the hill in my eyes. Mine work 100% as they should.
Because they can't put together shocks right. Really? Tell us Howard these shocks show up from Ohlins put together wrong often?

Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 AM
My14Ultra
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow. Good to know Ohlin never has any manufacturing or assembly issues with their products and any problem is caused by their customers. Glad I can count on that type of guarantee.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I can't comment on Ohlin's customer service as I've only dealt with Howard and he has always been great , however the initial issue the op described with the shocks sounds like he over tightened the sweep valve to me , not a defective shock . On Ohlin's shocks or JRi shocks that have a sweep valve at the bottom you must gently turn it and when it gets resistance stop . Often people force it and wind up breaking it , most after they break it once learn not to force it anymore.

Quick Reply: Ohlin experience less than expected