Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air cooled engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: air cooled engine

Iclick, great post!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In total agreement w/ iclick.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Huskers11, don't take offense over what anyone said. No stupid questions here, so keep posting.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
DrLove907
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks iclick, you just schooled me a little.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 PM
mattshfd
Intermediate

I just purchased my first HD (03 standard) after owning nothing buy metrics, air cooled as well as water cooled. I love the bike, enjoy the ride and it handles awsome! I will say I worry about the heat with all the posts I have read on here. I usually make one good road trip a year (few thousand miles) and the rest is weekned rides and commuting to work most days. In general I never had a problem with my metricair cooled engine, Im thinking I wont with the HD...although with all the talk on here it must be happening! I love the bike! I may love it even more when they develop an air cooled engine! Lets face it, the bikes arent cheap, and Im willing to pay for quality. Although if Im going to run into problems with a air cooled engine n a HDwhat good is handeling,looks and over 100 years of tradition when my hard earned money isoverheating!????

Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 PM
timidones
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As a private pilot, and can tell you this...lol.....never flew anything that wasn't air cooled, and you have to remember, most airplanes, you open the throttle all the way and leave it there for sometimes hours on end.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:56 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems a lot of new HD owners that come to this forum get overly concerned about issues, heat, handling or what ever. One of the reasons you see issues come up in this forum along with others is this is the place people with issues come for advice. Most don't post and push for answers when everything is going great. No one starts a thread saying "I don't have any Trans issues...what do I do?". HD is a great bike with a long tradition and loyal following, It is what it is. Take what you read here with a grain of salt, I live in South Texas and don't have all the same issues as someone in NY. Get your bike out and ride, if something happens look for an answer but don't get concerned that there is a problem cuz you read it on the net.

BTW I am a pilot also and live by watching the temps. Comm/Inst FW/RW

Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: timidones

As a private pilot, and can tell you this...lol.....never flew anything that wasn't air cooled, and you have to remember, most airplanes, you open the throttle all the way and leave it there for sometimes hours on end.
Yeah, and how's that working out for ya' at 5mph stop and go air traffic?

Old 04-25-2007, 11:24 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

For what it's worth, water cooled bikes can also overheat in the right conditions. I had a VTX1300 and a CBR600RR andboth of 'em had a habit of puking coolant in North Texas summer stop/go traffic. (Never had a problem though with my VTX1800 or BMW K bike.)

Old 04-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Nadil
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: timidones

True but don't get me started on the problems Continental and Lycoming Engines have. We had one of our '03 C182T number 6 cylinder wrist pin shatter in flight after little over 1k hours on the engine since new. Thank god there was a cow pasture nearby. We also have an AD out on all the 540 lycoming crankshafts to be replaced. These engines are 1930's technology and they still can't get the crap right.

Quick Reply: air cooled engine