Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 PM
amarzano
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: open air cleaner

I just scanned the article - but seem to remember one of the sources quoting something like a 10 hp gain from this. That's huge..

Anyone try the PACC A/C?

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

ORIGINAL: Dalton

You might want to look at the Doherty Power Pacc
Read the Feb issue of American Iron, Donny Peterson article. That thing gives some pretty impressive numbers, documented by three other sources besides American Iron.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 PM
hubble
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on the ness.............you won't be disapointed

Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 PM
colaSG
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know if there is a S&S teardrop aircleaner for the new EFI's we run.
Thank you, Mike

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For performance reasons, I was looking for the biggest and fastest flowing breather I could find and parted with a few hundred for the HP Inc Eliminator. It flows something like 270 cfm and it monstrous 3" x 8" in size. We customized a drain system on the backside to vent to oil down and out from the bike before it enters the intake track.

Just some hose, a couple vents, and no drip, no misting, no problems.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
engineer
Intermediate

I used the Power Pacc when I first did my stage 1 and was unhappy with the oil venting solution. I then switched to a Ness Big Sucker due to the integrated backing plate instead of rubber hoses and haven't had an issue since. The misting with the Power Pacc could just be something with my bike but it seemed to me that the oil would collect inside the rubber hoses going from the Power Vents to the backing plate and while in the tubes, it would drop in temperature to the point that it became thicker and when it finally made it through to the backing plate, it made a mess of the entire right side of the bike. I'm not sure that everyone has this problem with the Power Pacc but I'll stick with the Ness BS and no mess to clean up.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a fan of the open air cleaner.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM
gene01
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: LarsAtTheBeach

Anyone running a Wimmer type exposed type...the forward facing "cone" type? I am considering one...or the new Harley one that's in the new Screaming Eagle catalog.

I'd love to see pics of one on a bagger!

Thanks.
I have the heavy breather, if you are riding an Ultra, forget it, you will have a problem with the glove box, that doesn't sound bad, you would think you remove the glove box by what they say, no, you will have to remove all guts including the control **** for the adjustable air intake in the lower fairing..... if it were an inch shorter in length, it would be awsome.......

Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM
ScooterJammer
Cruiser

I'm going to install the Doherty Power PACC this week. I've been trying to talk myself into one for the last few months...Donny Peterson's article in American Ironconvinced me to pull the trigger. When I ordered the A/C I spoke with Josh Doherty and told him the AI article convinced me to buy their product. He informed me that Donny Peterson purchased the Doherty Power PACC he reviewed in AI, it was not a freebee. I don't know if Donny does this for all his reviewed products, but it certainly speaks volumes to his integrity. I'm sure if he wanted, he could very easily get vendors to give him free of charge any product he wantedfor reviews. I think anyone who reviews a product that is given to him free of charge is almost forced to provide a favorable review. I use Guns and Ammo as the perfect example, those guys have never met a bad gun. They all shoot 2-inch groups at 25-yards. Heh, heh!

JMHO, YMMV.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Hi Guys
I am by no means an expert on A/C's but heres goes.
After reading heaps of info on A/C's I do wonder if upgrading the A/C does actually increase performance in the RPM we ride in.I have read that the standard A/C will perform as well as an after market unit up to 5000RPM.
Just an observation be nice.
GlennsGlide

Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

My opinion there is a lot of BS about air cleaners; many people think bigger is better but without additional work with the engine, anything with more capacity that 250 CFM is not giving any additional benefits.

Choose on style and price and aim for 250 CFM maximum and you wont be over spending; if you plan engine work very shortly then maybe you can look for bigger intake.

Quick Reply: open air cleaner