Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giving a big-un a ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:06 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Giving a big-un a ride

There has to be a weight limit.Had to laugh one day a few years ago.A friend pulled into my driveway wound tight, and his rear tire smoking.He was giving his pride and joy a ride on his SoftTail,which was a little too soft for the added weight,low and behold he highly polished all the bolts holding his fender on and badly gouged his tire.Needless to say we gave his pride and joy a ride home in our truck.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:32 AM
03FLHT2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all our wifes seem to gain a little after marriage, but when I am out on the scoot and a lady ask for a ride which I don't care to give anybody a ride.
I prefer to ride along even though its a ultra, that way no matter how I ride I only have to account for me. As I tend to ride hard and fast kinda like I am on a sport bike. Back to the asking for a ride, I look then straight in the eyes and say *** - gas or grass and I don't smoke grass and don't need any gas so I guess it has to be a BJ, that usually shuts them up, had a few get real mad at me like I give a crap what they think. Just wish they made a Solo for the Ultra that looked real nice with the tour pack still on.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:40 AM
LarsAtTheBeach
Banned

I read this thread with interest. As I'm only 150 lbs...and I do not like a passenger at all. My wifey is 115 and she has ridden with me a few times on past bikes, but could take or leave it.

The last couple bikes I've had...the passenger pegs come off as soon as I get her home from delivery.

But hey, I'm a lightweight...what can I say. On the upside...all my riding buds are big men, and even a few with built motors cant beat me in a straight drag. As one bud said, "Cheet, I spent 4 grand building this motor, and all you (me) gotta do is not eat for a day and you're still kickin' my ***".

One more thing...
Fat bottom girls make the rockin' world go around.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:00 PM
SMT
Tourer

[quote]ORIGINAL: gordon188

This happened to me on Sunday, great day for riding, I was asked to give this big woman a ride, about 225lbs, I give her the run down about what she is supposed to do, and get on the Flhtc. I am a little leary but take the bike off the stand and stand straight up with it, front brake is on and she starts to get on, steps on the passenger floorboard and I can't see WTF is going on, but holy crap the bike almost went frigging over, I yell and she falls on the passenger seat, i take her for a ultra short ride, and told her to slide off and not use the floor board, I am 6'1" and over 250lbs and far from a weakling, I did pull a muscle in my leg. Don't do it.
[/quote

Did ya pull the muscle holding up the bike or later when you were holding her up?

Old 04-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Think I found a way out of it. First I tell would be passengers that they have to have permission from my wife she helped pay for the bike. Then there is I don't have passengers insurance. Those work for me.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:40 PM
gordon188
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it hurt after I rebalanced the bike, I was using every bit of strength I had, It was so quick and over in a couple of seconds. All that weight on the floor board, its a wonder it didn't snap off.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:10 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

"All that weight on the floor board, its a wonder it didn't snap off. "

Another 'ouch'. My wife's brother has a best friend that is every bit as fat as I am (350), and his buddies wife is not far behind him. They own a softail and ride two up all the time. I have never seen them, but man, that has got to be a sight. Before buying my rk custom, I rented a lot of bikes. Thought that the heritage was a nice ride. When I was riding it, I drove past a store and saw my relfection in the windows. It didn't look all that bad, then I had the wife get on and did the same thing. Knew then the heritage was not for me. A sales guy at the dealer saw us on it, and once the wife went in to 'shop', he came over to me and said I should be shopping for a 'touring bike'. The frame is better suited for us to ride together, and he was right. The wife knows why I didn't buy a heritage, but I didn't tell her about the comment. BUT, I am glad the sales guy had the ***** to tell me the truth and not try to push me on something just because he had it in stock. I ended up buying my bike at a dealer in TX because they had "MY" bike. But, becasue of this sales guy (Minton), I have nothing but good things to say about him and Santa Fe Harley, where he works. Too bad they are 50+ miles away, or I would hang out there instead of my local dealer, which I don't even care enough about to even mention their name.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/54850703CA9B458A845DF296213A3BE0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: curmudgeon

The lesson here is not "never give a fat girl a ride" The lesson is: nobody gets on or off untill the passenger says "ready" and the rider says "ready". Second, the bike is on the jiffy stand. Your left foot is on solid ground, your right is on the floor board and the front break is on.
I think I learned that on "Ride Like a Pro".
Exactly...if they're too big you get on top and are the passenger......And you are definitely in charge of when to get off!! Then yes you can "ride like a pro."

Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Very funny. lol. Although, my wife tells me when to 'get off' and also 'where to go'. lol

Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 AM
cjackson
Cruiser

My wife is not huge but weighs about 160 ( I think) Anyway, the problem is she doesn't have the coordination she was born with. Her mount (on the bike) is not a smooth balanced act. I am a little short (5'-7" on a good day) but I have had so many close calls with tipping over it scares the crap out of me. I won't let her get on if there are other bikes close by. My daughter and daughter inlaw get on (the bike) without incident. Half the time I can't believe they are on because it is so balanced. My wife kind of looks like someone getting on a horse for the first time. I have tried to coach her but it is no use. You can't do what you don't got.....CJ

Quick Reply: Giving a big-un a ride