Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield on the Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Blackjack1
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Windshield on the Road King

I'm interesting in buying a Road King.

I'm 6'5" so I sit pretty tall in the seat. Even extending the windshield on my Ultra, while I still look over the shield, I still seem to get some significant buffeting.

Looking at windshields on most Road Kings - it appears that you look through the shield instead of over it.

Is this the case?

Do you Road King riders look through the shield? Is this a beating compared to looking over the shield?

Any thoughts on seeing over the Road King shield and still having little buffeting?

Thoughts?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:53 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm about 6'1" and have the stock shield on my RKC. I have a Tallboy seat on the bike which moves me back 2 inches. With my seating posture, the stock shield comes up to about my upper lip. I definitely look over it, not through it. The only time I get buffeting is when I put my feet out on the highway pegs which disrupts the airflow.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Sedonastrider
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

For me at 6'3" and all legs the windshield is right in my line of sight. I can sit up tall and look over it, be at a normal riding position and the top line is right there, or if I relax a little bit I'm looking through the windshield. I like the options I have at this point.

Honestly though, I only put the windshield on once in the winter after I bought it. It leans against the garage wall nearly all the time.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Speedbarge
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 6'4", the shield on my RK is right in my eyes if I'm sitting relaxed. I'd love it to be an inch or two shorter so I can sit upright and see over the top.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I'm right a 6' and I actually installed a windshield 2" shorter than stock. I'm looking over the windshield 2-3" - right where I want to be. No problems, no significant buffeting.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:11 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Long Ride Shields can help you with a taller windshield.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 972 Posts

It's best if the shield comes up to the tip of your nose and you look over it. Good news is you can buy windshields in all sizes, taller and shorter than stock. Clearview and LRS are the big names to shop. I got a Clearview with a flip on top that diverts air higher than stock.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:21 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,588 Likes on 764 Posts

I'm 6'1" with a stock shield, and it's just below my line of sight.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:34 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My FLHP came with a windshield that I believe is 2 inches taller than the stock RK shield. I am 6 feet and when I am on the stock police solo seat I am looking over the top of the shield when sitting up straight. The solo seat is higher than the standard RK seat and if the standard RK seat was on my bike I would be looking through the shield however it might be the ticket for taller folk...

Old 04-21-2015, 01:41 PM
mtiberio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always like to just look over, never through a windshield. I have a visor on my shorty helmet which I believe helps smooth air flow around my glasses. Buffeting not a problem.

Quick Reply: Windshield on the Road King