Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best long ride seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:34 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I put a Le Pera Maverick (Daddy Long Legs version) on my '14 RK. It's firm and gives me good back support as well. After install, I did 2,300 mile in 8 days from PA to the mountains in TN and back. Rode all day with no discomfort. I think firm foam in the seat is better than soft foam for long hauls.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:35 PM
barchetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I had a Sundowner on my last bike and found it to be very comfortable on long days, as did my wife. The passenger pillion is round, wide and thick. (It's not a stylish looking seat--it's pretty clunky--but your question was about comfort.

On my RKC I needed the Tallboy seat because touring bikes aren't really designed for legs as long as mine and it is very comfortable too. It is essentially a Sundowner that steals two inches from the passenger and gives them to the rider. Also very comfortable for the past 40,000 miles. (And I'm 60 years old.)

Lots of us put lots of miles on Sundowners and their equivalents.
I have been researching this for weeks now.. just bought a 12' SG with stock seat and about to leave for Panama City next week..

I REALLY wanted a Danny Gray Longhaul airhawk 2 up.. but man.. you add the quick release needed for a passenger backrest, the drivers back rest (sissy and pad) (which I MUST have) and you are literally at the $1400 mark.

I had a mustang on my softail that I LOVED but it is BUTT ugly (forgive the pun).. especially the passenger seat..

So after days and days of research I did something totally stupid and took a chance on a Drag Specialties Low-Profile Touring Seat with drivers/passenger backrests.

I can find very few reviews.. but I went that route because A) SUPPOSEDLY built by Danny Gray (probably BS) B)I liked the shape/contour C) I like the look of a BUILT IN passenger backrest and thus no sissy bar. D) the cost was actually less than most others because of the built in pass backrest

I'll tape up the mounting points and bounce around on it like fool with my garage door closed and return it if need be.. I guess worst case, when I get to Panama City I'll have it reworked by a vendor which Im sure will be available.

with the additional pass seat Im at about $850.. easy to do actually on most 2 ups if you need to buy sissybar, pad and quick dock which is my position.. Im not a believer in used seats either.. Id be too afraid someone weighing far more than me or with a different bond structure used it for many miles and Id not fit into it..

But, money aside.. my opinion, regardless of your shape or weight THE best long ride sear out there hands down is the Danny Gray longhaul airhawk.. I dont know how you could dispute this with the airbags designed by the medical industry being built in.

That being said, if you can handle the enormous passenger seat.. mustang is a winner in my book.. but man that thing sticks out like a sore thumb (Im talking about the 14" wide pillion).. On the other hand, if you are like me, Im not going to let my lady hurt.. Ill sell this one and buy the mustang if need be.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Chucks1911
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Russell Day Long. Multiple 800 mile days with no real issues. Its big and ugly, but you can ride all day. You have to send in a seat, pictures, and measurements. So its fitted to you. I sent in a tall boy for mine. Best seat (for me) ever.

I tried the stocker, an Ultimate, and a stock modified by Mean city first.

RDL is big bucks though. Shop smart. Usually one rider forum or other runs a group buy on RDLs during the holidays thats normally worth 20% off.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by trobnett
King-A-Ling: Do you know the name of the guy that you used from Dallas?
I too would like to have my seat redone for more comfort for my wife. She hates our stock Street Glide seat.
Rick Butler, his cell is 214 926-3905, hm 972 442-9840. His shop is in Wylie, Tx, he may work out of his home. If he's still doing seats, he does good work. He did two different seats for me for like $40 or $45 a seat. I will say, the pillion looked alittle more thicker than before, but was softer and notched for her tailbone. Call him and let him know what you got, when I dealt with him, he was a supper nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Last edited by King-a-ling; 04-22-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Rob Wynn
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought a Saddlemen road sofa low with backrest for my 2010 Electra glide classic. I am 6'3, only 31" inseam. Me and this seat hate each other. I plan to sell it and send the stocker to Russell day long.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:01 PM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried gel and the air hawk. Love the air hawk. Looks stupid when you get off it, but hell the thing works. Thinking about getting a Danny Grey with it built in, although they are pricey.