Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best long ride seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

When I first got this bike in 09 my *** killed me at 60 miles. I mean my *** hurt bad. Reall bad. I kept riding long distances ( first touring bike) regardless of the *** pain.

I'm also thinking back then of how I can save for a new seat...

At about < 5000 miles something weird happened. I noticed I could ride 300 mile days with zero pain. I now have over 40 k on the seat/bike and my *** starts to hurt around hour 8-9.
When I drive to Tennessee for my annual screw off with my buddies week we leave nj at 5 am and we don't pull in to tenn until about 5 pm. My *** just started hurting.

I still have my stock seat and I can ride all day in it. I believe "the ***" actually breaks into the seat, and not the other way around. Jmo.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:50 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

My *** likes the Mustang touring seat, but loves the Road Zepplin. Either of those are good for 600 mi days. I'm talking about many days of riding back to back.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:06 PM
JoeN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with gliden

when you first start riding of a new season, you have to season your butt. I mean you are out of shape. You will be getting saddle sores. With time riding your butt will be able to withstand more time in the saddle. Some days may be different, if your legs or hips are tight. Always stretch.

Before I came to this conclusion (riding for decades now, and spent days in the saddle, when I was younger), I bought a Mustang seat. Looked real cool with the black pearls and the concho's, but I had the same butt soreness,

Give yourself more time in the seat, and you will gradually become accustom to what you have. Just my thoughts, and I only have a few

Ride safe and have fun. Thats what it is all about

Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Russell day long for me. I put my corbin solo homer n for a couple hundred miles a week ago and am taking it off and putting the day like ng back on. Better shocks probably would make the corbin more enjoyable and I'm fixing to change them out soon too

Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 PM
trobnett
Novice

King-A-Ling: Do you know the name of the guy that you used from Dallas?
I too would like to have my seat redone for more comfort for my wife. She hates our stock Street Glide seat.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Red 62
What seats do you think are the best for long rides? Air seats or gel or even a brand you think is good. More for passenger then me. Or just buy a air added on or gell added on.
Thanks for the info.

First off, if you have a stock street glide seat you need to get rid of it immediately, if not sooner. It's barely comfortable for the rider and downright torture for the passenger. Get a seat with a wide-*** for the passenger (hammock or sundowner or an Ultra take-off).

But what will really help you and the OL out is an airhawk pad. They sell them shaped for the rider saddle and one for the passenger pillion. The air bladders help reduce hotspots and pressure points and also channels air between your *** and the seat so that on really hot days, the swamp *** factor is reduced.

I can ride all day long on my sundowner without any issues. But I can ride all day long for 30 days in a row with the airhawk on top of the sundowner.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by trobnett
I too would like to have my seat redone for more comfort for my wife. She hates our stock Street Glide seat.
Are you joking?! NOBODY should be asked to sit on the rear of a stock SG seat, least of all the one you love.

There are plenty of proper dual seats available on the market, from dealers etc, to serve as the basis for a decent seat for poor Mrs T. Tell her WE love her and hope she gets a decent seat FAST!

Last edited by grbrown; 04-22-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 AM
Red 62
Intermediate

Thanks for the replys!
Colorido I do have a Sundowner and have been looking at Airhawk added on for her. The bike is 2012 FLHTP stock seat (which I wish I had) was air ride but solo. I have put a tour pack on so for the most part she good but *** is not after a 100 mile ride or so. So a poker run is pushing it for her.
Thanks to all Red.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,600 Likes on 1,337 Posts

We are all so different. Asking which seat works for me is like asking me who I want for our next president...you probably will not agree.

That said, I spent good money and a lot of seat time before I was really happy long distance. I tried Mean City double foam and that did not work, tried Ultimate from craigs list and that did not work, tried Mustang Touring and that did not work, tried Harley seat demo as I was considering what to do next. My "airhawk" and Alaska Sheepskin pad worked great on my stock seat...just was ugly. Did not know whether to go Corbin (hard) or Lepera which works on my sporty but I only ride 100 mies before I am pushing it. I figured I use the Harley demo seat program and at least find out if any of those worked. Sundowner, no different than Mustang. Tried the Hammock (52000004) and Zeppelin, Hammock was the best. Then tried the Hammock rider only, 53051-09 and the Alaskan sheepskin and rode 650 miles to Bozeman, MT. I did not even think about my ***. With the H-D non-adjustable backrest, I am in heaven and even my girlfriend is happy. So I guess I prefer a soft cushy seat to a hard or shaped seat. I spent a lot of money trying to find the right seat, but it is worth it for me now.

My advice, try the demo, borrow a friends seat and put it on your bike for a day. (Any true Harley friend can ride a stock seat with you for a day.) You can tell within 50-100 miles if it will work for you. I did this with an Ultra seat that my buddy claimed was perfect. 70 miles down the road, I switched back to my stock seat and airhawk and we were both happy. I have since switched to an un-sheared tanned sheepskin (for looks as the Alaska sheepskin works fine) and I can ride for 14 - 350+ days straight and my *** is not what complains.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 04-22-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:35 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I had a Sundowner on my last bike and found it to be very comfortable on long days, as did my wife. The passenger pillion is round, wide and thick. (It's not a stylish looking seat--it's pretty clunky--but your question was about comfort.

On my RKC I needed the Tallboy seat because touring bikes aren't really designed for legs as long as mine and it is very comfortable too. It is essentially a Sundowner that steals two inches from the passenger and gives them to the rider. Also very comfortable for the past 40,000 miles. (And I'm 60 years old.)

Lots of us put lots of miles on Sundowners and their equivalents.

Quick Reply: Best long ride seat