Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Turn Signal Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Larry Jeffords
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left Turn Signal Switch Replacement

I have a 2012 Ultra Classic with 13,700 miles on it. Stored at the dealership from the day it was brought home. Other than the ride from the dealership a week ago, today was my my ride of the season. Pre-ride check is normal but shortly into the ride I'm scanning my gauges and notice the left turn signal is on. I figure I must have hit it as I was wearing full gloves as opposed to my fingerless ones.

A little while later I notice it's on again. I turn it off and it comes back on. All the while the right turn signal activates and auto cancels fine. I finally get it to stay off. We stop for lunch and as soon as I turn the ignition switch to on, the left signal is on. I'm thinking I have a bad switch.

For the return trip I do not use the left signal at all. Right still functions fine. Once I get home I read through these forums and fine a couple of troubleshooting tips. (thank you) One is a procedure to do a reset which I have not tried yet and the other suggests that when it turns on by itself try to activate the right signal. I did this and without touching the left signal, the turn signal comes on. I press and release the right signal and the right flashes a few times then the left takes over. Next I press and hold the right switch and the four ways come on.

I am convinced based on this that the left switch has failed in the on position. Is this something I can change myself or should I just let the dealer do it? Has anyone done it before? Pictures? Write up? I cannot find anything on that topic.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

If the thought of pulling a bunch of wires out in the open and then cutting them to splice/solder in the new switch gives you the hebbie jeebies, then you had better let the steeler handle this. It is not a hard task if you are used to doing this sort of thing, but is probably not for everyone. The cost of the switch shows to be $61.45. I would think maybe an hour of shop time would get it.